Injury Report: Mika Zibanejad: Broken Fibula, Out 6-8 Weeks.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes true when u play a high speed game the status of the ice is critical also concerning safety issues for the players. Let`s hope that was not the case with Mika injury though - due to bad ice when he went hard into the boards.
I`m not sure if he lost balance due to the player, or bad ice condition. (It looks the player, but I might be wrong.)

Injury situation: https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/zibanejad-exits-with-injury/t-277437422/c-46551003

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I was down by the ice for warmups last night and it looked like there were craters in the ice. I couldn't believe they were playing on it. I saw one area was deep enough where a little water formed a mini puddle it seemed like. Wish I could describe it better but I was like wtf

yeah this deal of playing Knick game just a few hours NYR game before is really bad

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Ughhhhhhhhh, is there any structural damage? Unacceptable to have a hockey game after the Knicks, at the least the Rangers should get the afternoon start. That being said, I think his leg would've got pinned against the boards in any scenario based on the way he hit it.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Anyone who's read my posts over the years knows I'm not a big Mika Zibanejad fan. I think he's overhyped and will be surprised if he ever broke 60 points in a season.

That said, this injury pisses me off! This injury was preventable if the league would set certain standards for ice conditions. The NHLPA really should be pressing the ice conditions angle. I think it's more dangerous to be playing a sport at the speed of the NHL on some of these ice conditions than it is to be worried about the occasional "head shot".

AFAIC, the Columbus Blue Jackets should have been fined $50,000 for that ice they laid out on Friday, and the Rangers should have been fined $50k for that crap they had on the Garden floor last night.

It's horrific from an entertainment perspective, horrible from an "integrity of the standings" perspective, but worse, it's a player safety issue that gets completely glossed over.

Fifty thousand bucks? That's pocket change for an organization like the Rangers--they'd take that action any day of the week in order to have two events filling the cash registers.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Wasn't Stepan out 4-6 weeks? Hopefully Zib is closer to that than 8.

Stepan got injured at the beginning of training camp (Sept 24th) and came back November 8th. That was 6 weeks, 3 days. Zib could be out for 6 weeks so it would be the same. Step's initial prognosis was 4-6 weeks though.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
All star break is January 28-29. Play Philly January 25th. Columbus January 31. If all goes well Mika should be back around then. At the latest. 32 regular season games left February- April, plenty of time to get into playoff form. Time will tell.
OT - Now Mika has lots of time to look himself in the mirror and get that perfect "look" he has been trying to get for years. Especially the hair. Driven some people crazy I heard. Hank can mentor him :naughty:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm kind of thinking this is a.blessing in disguise. First off, he wasn't exactly lighting it up! Secondly, it gives minutes to another unsuspecting character.......maybe this Puempel kid, or Boo gets called up again.

My point is that injuries are not only a part of the game but gives coach an opportunity to "expand" the roster and availability looking down the road. Making the team even "deeper" is always a good thing.

What makes me laugh hysterically is that people were saying trade for a defenseman with our "surplus" of good forwards. Yeah right. Only takes a few injuries (ala Kreids and Buch) and then where is your "surplus"?

Trading JT or whomever for a dman would've been a premature mistake. If that player you traded for goes down......then what? Another trade? Lol.

We're winning with the team we have, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Not yet anyway, that's what the deadline is for.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
January 1 is exactly 6 weeks from injury. January 1-15. 6-8 weeks. Mika should return in early January.

That truly is the absolute best case scenario, and healing would have to be rapid and absolutely perfect if he were to make it back in as little as 6 weeks. I don't think that will happen, and agree with BBKers that it will likely be the end of January. I'm no doctor, but from all the reading I've done...6 weeks is the absolute minimum and there will still be some lingering pain at 6 weeks. I think 8-9 weeks is more likely. Not trying to play doctor...just a prediction.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
allow for 8 weeks with that injury

last week of january is realistic

Holy **** we agree on something. :laugh:

But yeah, we all saw how Stepan looked after being put right back in after his recovery window for the broken leg. Let Mika heal, build up his leg/core strength/conditioning, and then let him play.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Holy **** we agree on something. :laugh:

But yeah, we all saw how Stepan looked after being put right back in after his recovery window for the broken leg. Let Mika heal, build up his leg/core strength/conditioning, and then let him play.

More or less agree. But, regardless, when he comes back he isn't going to look good right away after missing almost two months.
Playing is the only way he's going to get his timing back. There is only so much that can be done in practice.

And let's face it, Mika is one of the top players on this team: once he's medically cleared, he will be back in the lineup pretty quickly. That's the way hockey players have been, are and will be.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Tbh I think this team is missing zib way more than anyone thought possible. Particularly on the PP...his shot as a weapon is huge.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Tbh I think this team is missing zib way more than anyone thought possible. Particularly on the PP...his shot as a weapon is huge.

Not even that. His zone entries and his ability to carry with the puck with speed are excellent, unprecedented in this entire lineup. Without him, McDonagh and Skjei are trying. And failing. Miserably.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not even that. His zone entries and his ability to carry with the puck with speed are excellent, unprecedented in this entire lineup. Without him, McDonagh and Skjei are trying. And failing. Miserably.

agreed...he does so many little things also that help out the team...his ability to angle rushes towards the defenseman so they can close in and separate the man from the puck is top notch as well...Zucc is strong at this as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad