Injury Report: Mika Zibanejad: Broken Fibula, Out 6-8 Weeks.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Best case scenario considering the possibilities.

Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Grabner-Hayes-Fast
Kreider-Miller-Zuccarello
Pirri-Jorris-Lindberg

should be the temporary lines until Buchnevich is good to go and bumps Fast down.

That 2nd line shouldn't be the 2nd line, considering who you have as the third line. Fast shouldn't be in the top 6, ever.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
That was tough to watch last night. Seeing him try to get up and skate was hard to watch.

Glad there's no ligament damage anywhere. 2 months would be 25 games missed for Mika. Time to see if Miller and Hayes are ready to face tougher comp.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This team will miss Mika. He's been so good for us. Our schedule is and has been tough. This week will be a tough one. Tonight's game vs Pitt I am not looking forward to. Four games in 6 nights. Eff this league.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
That was tough to watch last night. Seeing him try to get up and skate was hard to watch.

Glad there's no ligament damage anywhere. 2 months would be 25 games missed for Mika. Time to see if Miller and Hayes are ready to face tougher comp.

Anyone who is familiar with these things know if that was something they could assess with the X-Ray/by the medical staff last night? I see a lot of posts on other websites where people are saying that hopefully they don't find any ligament damage. It seems to me (by giving the recovery timeline already) that the team already knows whether he had any ligament damage

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The injury bug has hit nearly every team. Short schedule. 5 day bye week. One less week in the season because of the World Cup. The game is so fast. The schedule sucks. The NHL is playing 82 games in essentially 12 less days. Just look at how many big players are out with long term injuries.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The injury bug has hit nearly every team. Short schedule. 5 day bye week. One less week in the season because of the World Cup. The game is so fast. The schedule sucks. The NHL is playing 82 games in essentially 12 less days. Just look at how many big players are out with long term injuries.

It was bad even before this shorter calendar. Too many games in the NHL regular season, it should be in the low 70's. They're squeezing too much out of this rock

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Definitely want to echo that I'm glad this wasn't worse. I went to the game and watching him writhe around for what felt like minutes was terrible.

Heal up Mika.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
not as bad as it could have been with an mcl or acl. that bone will heal. he can get back to work mid to end january.

this is an opportunity to have someone step up.

prefer hayes as the 2C and slot a true C as the 3. thats not jtmiller.

i would give brandon pirri a shot at the 3C

like jooris as the 4c

kreid step zuc
vesey hayes nash
grabs pirri miller
lindy jooris fast

nieves also is a thing too.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
This situation is actually good news... Fibula is not weight bearing...

As long as there are no surprises when they go in there for surgery, Zib should be fine. Rangers will make the playoffs and being healthy for them is the only thing that matters.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Bump Grabner up. He should be getting more than 10 minutes a game. Grabner can be the solution and act as a stop gap.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
not as bad as it could have been with an mcl or acl. that bone will heal. he can get back to work mid to end january.

this is an opportunity to have someone step up.

prefer hayes as the 2C and slot a true C as the 3. thats not jtmiller.

i would give brandon pirri a shot at the 3C

like jooris as the 4c

kreid step zuc
vesey hayes nash
grabs pirri miller
lindy jooris fast

nieves also is a thing too.

Pirri is no more a true C than Miller is. But you could make a case for either one

We just lost our best faceoff guy for two months.

Case for Pirri-

Keep Miller on the wing where he has played well this season
Pirri is 60+% on faceoffs to Miller's 40%

Case for Miller-

Better defensive positioning and board play
Builds resume and natural backup for center injuries.

Either way I think the key issue here is chemistry and how Hayes handles the increased responsibility.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
All things considered this is kind of a big relief. Only 6-8 weeks when people in here were saying he's gone for the season XD I take it most of you aren't doctors?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
All things considered this is kind of a big relief. Only 6-8 weeks when people in here were saying he's gone for the season XD I take it most of you aren't doctors?

Goes both ways, when Zucc has his head cracked open it was worse than anyone had speculated. Anyone that posted the rumors of what actually happened based on sources in the hospital with the brain damage had their posts censored.

Bottom line is you can't tell from just watching the game, but people should be able to speculate since this is a discussion board after all. If anyone takes an anonymous internet poster as an authoritative source then frankly that's their problem

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
...Our schedule is and has been tough. This week will be a tough one....Four games in 6 nights. Eff this league.

why is a tough schedule a bad thing?
all the teams have similar schedules.
this isn't 8th grade girls lacrosse

injuires are part of NHL life, no matter the scheduling,
and NYR have been far less injured the last few years than many teams,
thats why Gorton was wise to fill the depth chart

gotta hope its Hrivik or Jensen, not Glass or Fontaine, called up.
Shouldnt call up Nieves ot mostly sit

it does $u@% that they only have 1 point so far in this 5 in 8 days,
but they haven't scored

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Absolutely true. Pit lost Kunitz to IR this morning, we were already missig Buch, Jones had a broken foot but he's cleared to return today, Kopitar has been DTD for like a week now

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pirri should move up to the 3rd line center, let Jooris handle 4th line center.

Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Grabner-Hayes-Miller
Kreider-Pirri-Zucc
Lindberg-Jooris-Fast

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Pirri should move up to the 3rd line center, let Jooris handle 4th line center.
Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Grabner-Hayes-Miller
Kreider-Pirri-Zucc
Lindberg-Jooris-Fast

just gotta watch and see if Pirri can 'handle' it
did he wash out of those other teams when they asked too much of him?
he doesnt play like a center in the O zone, he plays to get open for his shot

Jooris looked decent last night, Kreider/Zucc have been playing with a Righty C
Jooris showed good offensive insticts and talent in college, that hasnt been his role to date in the bigs

gotta expect Arnie experiments a bit these next few games,
with Pirri, Jooris and Lindy all getting sometime at C

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Anyone who's read my posts over the years knows I'm not a big Mika Zibanejad fan. I think he's overhyped and will be surprised if he ever broke 60 points in a season.

That said, this injury pisses me off! This injury was preventable if the league would set certain standards for ice conditions. The NHLPA really should be pressing the ice conditions angle. I think it's more dangerous to be playing a sport at the speed of the NHL on some of these ice conditions than it is to be worried about the occasional "head shot".

AFAIC, the Columbus Blue Jackets should have been fined $50,000 for that ice they laid out on Friday, and the Rangers should have been fined $50k for that crap they had on the Garden floor last night.

It's horrific from an entertainment perspective, horrible from an "integrity of the standings" perspective, but worse, it's a player safety issue that gets completely glossed over.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyone who's read my posts over the years knows I'm not a big Mika Zibanejad fan. I think he's overhyped and will be surprised if he ever broke 60 points in a season.

That said, this injury pisses me off! This injury was preventable if the league would set certain standards for ice conditions. The NHLPA really should be pressing the ice conditions angle. I think it's more dangerous to be playing a sport at the speed of the NHL on some of these ice conditions than it is to be worried about the occasional "head shot".

AFAIC, the Columbus Blue Jackets should have been fined $50,000 for that ice they laid out on Friday, and the Rangers should have been fined $50k for that crap they had on the Garden floor last night.

It's horrific from an entertainment perspective, horrible from an "integrity of the standings" perspective, but worse, it's a player safety issue that gets completely glossed over.

I agree. Both the between periods interviewees complained about it last night and by coincidence one of them breaks his leg. It would have been better and a lot more intelligent to schedule the NHL game in the afternoon and the Knicks game at night--if you were going to do both on the same day.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I was down by the ice for warmups last night and it looked like there were craters in the ice. I couldn't believe they were playing on it. I saw one area was deep enough where a little water formed a mini puddle it seemed like. Wish I could describe it better but I was like wtf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->