Recalled/Assigned: Miikka Salomäki

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Miikka Salomaki

I see he scored his first goal of the season. How has he looked so far? I am a fan of his. I'd like to see him do well in a grinding role and hopefully chip in offensively once in a while.

Does he look like he will spend the season in Nashville or is it more a temporary call up or injury related?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
He's exactly the kind of player we need on our third and fourth line. Love his physicality and his hustle. I would argue our best player last night because his physical play took Perry out of the game.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I wonder what Nystrom's fate will be upon return.

It isn't Nystrom's fate, but Bitetto's. His is sealed at this point. He was the 23rd player on the roster. As much as I hate to say it, Nystrom will get his time as Lavy seems to like him for whatever reason.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
whatever we think, lavy will put Nystrom and gaustad both back in when they are healthy. right now, the true position battles right now are who the other forward on that 4th line with them is and who is on the LW on the 3rd line with Jarnkrok and Hodgson.

now when Nystrom comes off IR, it makes perfect hockey sense that we try to send bitetto down and risk him on the waiver wire and keep Sissons and Salomaki up with Bartley as the 21-23rd guys on the roster. but honestly I would be shocked if we actually did. I don't think Lavy or Poile would want to have two youngsters both as scratches most nights when at least one of them could be getting regular playing time in MIL.

Personally I would guess it's Sissons that will be the odd man out and sent back down once gaustad comes back (actually when Nystrom comes off IR and forces a roster move) It's possible Poile just might not be willing to risk Bitetto on waivers yet.

then the questions probably becomes which of Bourque or Watson do you want on that 4th line, and whether you have Salomaki or Bourque on the third line wing for now.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'm "meh" on Salomaki overall right now...

The first few games he impressed with his calm while still clearly putting up the hits with some much needed physical play on that 2nd line. The apparent calm/poise was impressive cuz so often we see prospects get into the mode of looking as though a guy is in an panic to "prove he belongs". Those first games in particular, Salomaki was getting in the physical game, all zones, while also being part of the offensive play, supporting puck movement, getting himself open, etc...

The last games though, it seems he's reverted to a more scattered solo aimless rush. He's still putting in the physical play, is near always hard on the backcheck and where he ought to be in his own zone, etc. But when the puck is moving back into the ozone he appears to be trying to figure out where to go and how to contribute. As in trying too hard rather than playing hard with a feel for his linemates.

I dunno if it's the prospect thing of getting anxious (with guys on the cusp of returning to the lineup) to prove he should stick, so like an issue common to call-ups on a leash, or if it's the 3rd line LW thing, so like an issue common to everyone who aspires to contribute offensively but is slotted into play with a center who is neither a power/physical space-making driver or a skilled/playmaking type.

All in, I'd think Salomaki is at least Bourque/Watson's defensive and physical equal, and from his first few games arguably a better fit into the middle 6 offensively. But whether or not he sticks over Sissons is a toss-up - as fans watching mostly only for 10-12 minutes of game time play, we really haven't seen enough of Sissons. At least I can't compare the two kids.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't think it's a coincidence that Jarnkrok's offensive output lately hasn't been triggered by having Salomaki on his wing. You have to look deeper in to the on ice play but for whatever reason the two of them and Hodgson are getting in positions to score and giving us some scoring from the third line. Salomaki has given them a physical presence which they lacked and while he's not a playmaker or a sniper, he's balancing their line out well and creating space for his linemates.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Wilson does not need to be putting a shoulder into anybody...if you think he should ...you're a bandwagoner who doesn't know the facts

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Wilson does not need to be putting a shoulder into anybody...if you think he should ...you're a bandwagoner who doesn't know the facts

Woooah there. I haven't met a "bandwagoner" Preds fan around here yet (heck, as a raw newb this season I'm probably the closest thing there is to a Preds "bandwagoner" myself!). Maybe let's slow down on the shutting down of discussion with erroneous labeling.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Woooah there. I haven't met a "bandwagoner" Preds fan around here yet (heck, as a raw newb this season I'm probably the closest thing there is to a Preds "bandwagoner" myself!). Maybe let's slow down on the shutting down of discussion with erroneous labeling.

I think the comment was more "New Fans" they don't know the history of Wilson. Had surgery on both shoulders during the offseason after the lockout year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think the comment was more "New Fans" they don't know the history of Wilson. Had surgery on both shoulders during the offseason after the lockout year.
I've been a fan since 98 and I forgot Wilson had those surgeries. So I guess I'm guilty.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

LOL, funniest thing I've read in a while. If he's that fragile then he should retire.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
LOL, funniest thing I've read in a while. If he's that fragile then he should retire.

No one said he was fragile. Just that if a hit to him from another player caused an injury (He was hit against the boards) significant enough to have both shoulders worked on, he should be going hulk mode on people. That doesn't mean he can't hipcheck and what not, just not use his shoulder as a wrecking ball every shift. I'm sure he thinks about this as well.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Hey, thanks for the info! I hadn't a clue of Wilson's injury history either.

As for labeling, I'd rather be called a "New Fan" myself rather than a "bandwagoner" (with all its negative connotation attached), merely cuz I didn't know a thing yet.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Jarnkrok's offensive output lately hasn't been triggered by having Salomaki on his wing. You have to look deeper in to the on ice play but for whatever reason the two of them and Hodgson are getting in positions to score and giving us some scoring from the third line. Salomaki has given them a physical presence which they lacked and while he's not a playmaker or a sniper, he's balancing their line out well and creating space for his linemates.

I'm pretty sure (correct me here?) that Salomaki's goal was the first scored with him-Jarnkrok-Hodgson as a trio, while both Jarnkrok & Hodgson have been starting to put up points with and without each other. Meaning I don't see any coincidence between Salomaki's full-time shift down to the 3rd the last two games and the fact Jarnkrok & Hodgson were already getting on the board without Salomaki's presense and afterward too (ie: Jarnkrok's goal on the PP, Hodgson's PP assist playing with Jarnkrok & Neal for the other winger).

That said, I'd still like to see more of the trio. If Salomaki doesn't get into too much of a solo game trying too hard to find a way to contribute, his physicality is at least as equal to Bourques (I think more) and his first few games playing with Ribeiro/Smith the kid looked like a quality upgrade offensively. For the trio to shine though, I really think Jarnkrok himself needs to start passing the puck himself, add some playmaking to his tool box and use his linemates more.

Side note btw, despite the revolving winger and multiple center-wing conversions, etc. the 3rd line still accounts for the majority of the Preds' game-winners -

Jarkrok (2)
Hodgson (1)
Arvidsson (1)
Salomaki (1)
= 5 game winners

Compared to the top 6 having 1 game-winner (Smith), and the defense combining for 3 (Josi, Ellis and Jackman).

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
sorry ...I've got alot going on right now and am not in the sweetest of moods...... The choice of words was inconsiderate...but if you've been a fan for as long as some claim and don't know history...well...and then I see the response from Drake and have been reminded not everyone has a steel trap memory...Checks given are usually met in kind and as a pro athlete part of the job is to hurt (not injure) your opponent if possible to knock them off their normal game... I don't want Wilson in that position unless necessary. i.e. nobody else steps up... he does need to find that playoff intensity just not be reckless... I will start self editing for smart mouth disease family...much love...GO PREDS:yo: Mike you were not who the comment was aimed at. Or Drake

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad