Miikka Salomäki - Kärpät, SM-liiga

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Miikka Salomäki, one of the four notable Finnish prospects in this year's draft alongside with Joel Armia, Samu Perhonen and Christopher Gibson.

Position: CE/W
DOB: 09-MAR-93
Height: 5'11''
Weight: 198 lbs
Shoots: Left

Stats so far:
SM-liiga - 29gp 4g+4a=8p
WJC's - 6gp 2g+1a=3p

Has been playing really well after the WJC's and is showing continuous development. His role in his club team is growing and he has started to see 3rd line minutes. He's a hard working player and gives everything to his team when he's on the ice. Protects the puck really well and is a strong player for his age. Doesn't quite have the skill level to be considered a top line prospect, but could be seen as a valuable team player who's reliable in all situations and brings a lot of energy to the game. Might be seen as a bigger, slightly slower version of Daniel Catenacci with a weaker shot. My guess at the moment is that he could go anywhere from late 2nd to 4th round.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
He reminds me a lot of Tuomo Ruutu. Not such a physical freak that Tuomo is but playing style wise. He has incredible strength for a player that age and size and he's not afraid to throw his weight around. Has good hands too.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
quality nhl superstar is his upside

Well, not really. But he could be a good 2nd liner, even 1st liner if the role suits his style of play. He plays both center and wing too (like I said, Tuomo Ruutu v.1.1 :naughty: ).

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Yeah this guy scored as much points as Sean Couturier in WJC. Two goals, one assist. Oh and Sean played 7 games and Miikka just 3 games.

Better than Couturier and it's not even close :sarcasm:

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Salomäki has played 13 games after WJC doing two goals and five assists. Does anyone think that he might be a late first rounder? He has done great points but I mean that he's also played so well that I wouldn't be surprised if he would be there. What you guys think about it?

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
with good u18 wc he will be early second rounder. salomäki has played great season but i dont see potential like granlund/pulkkinen/donskoi has, but hope im wrong.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Does anyone think that he might be a late first rounder? He has done great points but I mean that he's also played so well that I wouldn't be surprised if he would be there. What you guys think about it?

He has potential to become a late first rounder. But this draft is just so amazing deep so I don't see it coming.

Salomäki will dominate U18.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
I can't see him going in the first round. He's a talented kid and I would say he has the potential to be a good energy player in the NA, but I don't see top line potential like in Armia, Granlund, Pulkkinen.

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Yeah, first round pick might be just a dream but I have feeling that he will be a steal if he goes in the second round. :nod:

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Wonder if good showing at Combine has put more value on his stocks?

I don't think that it will change things much, Salomäki will probably be late 2nd round pick, just because many teams don't like picking future 3rd liners in the first round.

And just to make things clear, being a future 3rd liner isn't a bad thing, it's simply just not what teams are looking for in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad