Teams coming back to earth

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Drai is AVERAGING over 25 minutes a night, this isn't a one off.
Riley Sheahan was out for the first couple games causing Drai to log huge PK minutes putting him over 26 min a game. In the two games sheahan has been around and they haven’t been desperate for a 3rd period goal he’s been between 21-23.5 mins.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
My concern about the Oilers is that we've always known they can go as far as McDavid and Draisaitl take them. There's never been any question that those two are elite and right now they're driving the bus and it's driving very well.

Are McDavid and Draisaitl going to be 164 point players this year? Are the Oilers going to have a 40% PP and 95% PK? Obviously a team can step back from 5-1 and still be very good so the question is how big is the step back going to be. The next month or so will be a very interesting time.

Also, are Drai and McDavid going to play nearly 27 minutes every time the Oilers are chasing a lead? Christ, they might die.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well the Oilers made the playoffs before with McDavid carrying them hard.

It could happen again this year

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Riley Sheahan was out for the first couple games causing Drai to log huge PK minutes putting him over 26 min a game. In the two games sheahan has been around and they haven’t been desperate for a 3rd period goal he’s been between 21-23.5 mins.

Is this a recipe for success? Riley Sheahan and not chasing leads?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Oilers are a bad team and the advanced stats don't lie.
Curious what you are looking at and seeing "bad" in terms of advanced stats?

I think obviously they will not win 5 of every 6, and the depth problem up front is still a major impediment.

If they continue to get .917 goaltending they have a shot at the playoffs, but the bottom six needs to be much better. And our schedule has been extremely favorable thus far.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Way to early to see if they have made enough improvement to make the playoffs. I hope they do, want to see the best player in the game playing when it matters most.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The year the Oilers made the playoffs, McDavid averaged 21:08, that's manageable.

This, is not.

The team was not much better that year, sctually you could argue that McDavid and Draisatl are better platers now. They need great goaltending like Talbot gave them that year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There have been a couple of “boring” takes in this thread... We’re 7th in the league in goals for, 2nd in goals per game, how is that boring to watch? :laugh:

Don’t be sour because we’re actually playing defence for the 2nd time in a decade.

I thought last nights game was really fun actually. I stayed up far too late to watch it as I was sucked in despite the low scoring. I actually though the Oilers defense looked overall pretty decent and Klefbom had moments where he was good but others where he looked bad. Coaching has really made a huge difference.

However, it's just not sustainable to continue to have 3rd period comebacks. Sabres did that and won 10 games and still missed, and despite what they say now, Sabres fans were thumping their chest about it too (and their superior record to other teams at the time).

So while some people might say some things that aren't true, you can;t get offended at anyone who says this might not be sustainable.

I've watched 2 of the Oilers games so far this year for reference.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My concern about the Oilers is that we've always known they can go as far as McDavid and Draisaitl take them. There's never been any question that those two are elite and right now they're driving the bus and it's driving very well.

Are McDavid and Draisaitl going to be 164 point players this year? Are the Oilers going to have a 40% PP and 95% PK? Obviously a team can step back from 5-1 and still be very good so the question is how big is the step back going to be. The next month or so will be a very interesting time.

Also, are Drai and McDavid going to play nearly 27 minutes every time the Oilers are chasing a lead? Christ, they might die.

Oilers PK looked pretty good last night honestly.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
That's crazy, but it speaks to the lack of depth the Oilers have throughout their lineup.

Perhaps they can squeak into the Wildcard, but what will Drai/McD have left after Tippet grinds them to dust during the regular season.

Top 5 Forwards in Ice Time last year

McDavid
Drai
Barkov
Kane
Kopitar

Besides being great players, what else do they have in common for 18/19?
Ice time. You didn't really start discussing it. Every HC knows it's a hot potato.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They look good so far but too early to say they're for sure a playoff team. To me it still seems like everything needs to go right for them to make it. If any of their top guys get hurt it's going to be tough sledding.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Man this forum is full of "what have you done lately" people. 5 games into a season and people are already penciling teams into the playoffs.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Oilers fans :
It's only 6 games in no way Auston Matthews keeps up this goal pace , Draisaitl > Matthews

Also Oilers fans :
We're 5-1-0 , plan the parade , Ken Holland a the GM of the year candidate , James Neal > Auston Matthews

;)

Reactions: Puckluck13

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'd wait until the 20 game mark before making too bold an assumption about the Oilers. Obviously Drai and McDavid are lights out, but James Neal and Mike Smith have been great as well. Who know, if those 2 keep it up, maybe the Oilers are that much better. I think they may lack the depth to maintain this level over 82 games, but it is nice to see a couple of Pacific teams improving.

OiledGun

Sep 2, 2011
Oilers fans :
It's only 6 games in no way Auston Matthews keeps up this goal pace , Draisaitl > Matthews

Also Oilers fans :
We're 5-1-0 , plan the parade , Ken Holland a the GM of the year candidate , James Neal > Auston Matthews

;)
Didn't get the response you wanted in the are the Oilers the real deal poll so posted the same thing here?

Most Oil fans are saying it's too early to tell, but we are enjoying the success at the moment (as we've had little of it the past 10 years)

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Oilers fans :

Also Oilers fans :

;)
Typical Leafs fan posting here. Nice try bud.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oilers fans :

Also Oilers fans :

;)

Has anyone actually said the second thing? And been serious about it (ie. not just being funny to get a rise out of anyone)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad