Teams coming back to earth

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You are probably correct but if we do that then the whole record (coming from behind) is null and void. I am just hoping that this new culture we are seeing will hold out the entire season and that the Oilers make the playoffs.
I just meant trailing in that particular game shouldn't be viewed negatively. Actually I'm not 100% sure the NHL still considers the Rangers part of the league anyway.

Last edited:

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Actually you are not wrong but it bodes well. In 2016-2017 they started off 7-1 and guess what? They ended up 2nd in the Pacific.

2016-17 Edmonton Oilers Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

2017-2018? 2-6 and 2018-2019 4-4... very meh starts.

In 2018-2019, the Oilers were 8-4-1 after the first 13 games though, which at the time was incredible given their horrendous schedule up to that point. Then the wheels fell off. While I was happy with the start I don't remember being as impressed with how the team was playing then as I am now.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
The fact that they've been able to come from behind so often should be encouraging. I learned last year when we started the best we ever had since 07 when we won the Cup that good first 2 weeks of season aren't necessarily indicative of how season will look.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There have been a couple of “boring” takes in this thread... We’re 7th in the league in goals for, 2nd in goals per game, how is that boring to watch? :laugh:

Don’t be sour because we’re actually playing defence for the 2nd time in a decade.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I hope for McDavid and Draisaitl that the Oilers make the playoffs. These guys are too good not to have a chance to participate to the spring dance. They’re a treat to watch right now.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
There have been a couple of “boring” takes in this thread... We’re 7th in the league in goals for, 2nd in goals per game, how is that boring to watch? :laugh:

Don’t be sour because we’re actually playing defence for the 2nd time in a decade.
second? Oh ya we had the famous Eakins "swarm" that really killed it lol! We needed everybody buying in to a solid game at both ends of the ice, and Tippet seems to be getting that across to them. The problem we have is this team in recent history gets down a goal or two and almost lay down to play dead. They need a full 60 in every game they play regardless of score or they won't make it.

And you are right, anybody who says they are playing boring hockey is not watching their games.

Reactions: rajan68

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I want to see a full season of the Oilers playing structured hockey. We have always been able to do it over short periods of time but then we collapse. Hopefully Tippet can keep them focused all season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Edmonton Oilers - Chicago Blackhawks - October 14th, 2019

Following my post from yesterday.... one cannot expect to succeed consistently if it is needed for the two star forwards to play more than 26 minutes each in a game finishing in regulation. Drai was 1 second from 27 even. That's ridiculous.

Why?

Seriously we hear all the time that teams fail or succeed based on how their best players do.

Does either player look tired?

Dmen reguarily play that much and more in the NHL, maybe Tippett is onto a new trend as long as the players pace themselves.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Not being a smart ass, but do they have anything other than McDavid, Drai, Nuge and Neal?
Nuge has actually been pretty bad lately. Kassian is a solid contributor for the most part.

But there is absolutely nothing in that bottom 6. Playing Jurco in the top 6 is probably not inspiring either.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Were at least 2 top six players from being a top team.

Our bottom six still suck too. If those 2nd liners get pushed down, bottom six is fixed.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Nuge has actually been pretty bad lately. Kassian is a solid contributor for the most part.

But there is absolutely nothing in that bottom 6. Playing Jurco in the top 6 is probably not inspiring either.

Kassian is more of a bottom six guy though right? He plays up in the lineup due to a lack of depth I guess?

How about the defence and goaltending? How would you asses that? Klefbom is good?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Lol looking bad to night, back down to earth. Yeah nothing to do with 5th consecutive road game.

Real test will be how they respond

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Not being a smart ass, but do they have anything other than McDavid, Drai, Nuge and Neal?
Yes. Klefbom and Nurse are very good -- occasionally great -- players. Ethan Bear might be a future star, and is one to watch. Every other game or so Kassian looks like the real deal (the in-between games he looks awful).

Neal has been a great acquisition, obviously, but the problem of forward depth remains. So far this season, the Oilers have two even-strength goals from the second, third, and fourth lines combined.

Defensively, though, they seem so much better than in the past. Okay, they allowed 2 goals tonight at the end of a road-trip, but it would have been 1 if Mike Smith hadn't gone wandering (again). Smith, stay in the damn net.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
"Might it be time to consider the Oilers are maybe good?"

No. Categorically no.

Don't hedge your argument into oblivion.

Reactions: Puckluck13

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Edmonton Oilers - Chicago Blackhawks - October 14th, 2019

Following my post from yesterday.... one cannot expect to succeed consistently if it is needed for the two star forwards to play more than 26 minutes each in a game finishing in regulation. Drai was 1 second from 27 even. That's ridiculous.

That's crazy, but it speaks to the lack of depth the Oilers have throughout their lineup.

Perhaps they can squeak into the Wildcard, but what will Drai/McD have left after Tippet grinds them to dust during the regular season.

Top 5 Forwards in Ice Time last year

McDavid
Drai
Barkov
Kane
Kopitar

Besides being great players, what else do they have in common for 18/19?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
They played that much because they were down a goal in the 3rd. They shortened the bench to try and tie the game.

.....and the other games? Seem's to be par for the course. No need to make excuses about being down in the third. They play that many minutes because Tippett has to lean on them due to lack of any decent players outside of a couple players.

If by chance they do make it to the playoffs, they are going to be worn down......

But hey....."McPoints"!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad