Teams coming back to earth

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Yes the Oil are going to go 82-0 this year, McDavid will have over 200pts, James the real deal Neal will have 170 goals.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
They'll go as far as McDavid and Draisaitl will take them. We'll see what happens when they inevitably slow down because they're averaging more than 2 points a game right now and they're not scoring 160 points.

They will! Said Avalanche fans about Rantanen maintaining his pace last year. :laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It’s crazy it took so long for Dave Tippet to be hired again. What he did with some of those Coyotes teams was nothing short of miraculous.
Indeed, the Coyotes had over achieving 70 point teams, many AZ fans didn't understand that, and how Tip got blood out of a stone. He will put players in a position to succeed, the sum will be greater than the parts. Hot start doesn't surprise me, teams won't take the Oilers lightly any more, and they will slow down a little, but the wins aren't all luck against bad teams.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
They will! Said Avalanche fans about Rantanen maintaining his pace last year. :laugh:
Well he got injured though and at some point the Avs had to split their top line because scoring depth was an issue. Much rather balance lines when there is something not working than just keep them together while stockpilling the L's. Playoffs > individual points. But hey if the Oilers can make it far with those two carrying their team on their back who am I to criticize that what a great start they're having though.

Reactions: rajan68

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
This is the best I have seen any Oilers team play for a 5 game period since 2016/17 and I am enjoying it very much. There are of course many reasons to temper my expectations. We haven't had a really tough opening schedule, nothing like last year. And we have two rookies starting on the right side defense. Still I am revising my prediction of 85 to 90 points to 90 to 95 points. I will probably revise again, one way or the other, once we have faced a few of the heavier teams in the West. St. Louis, Nashville, VGK and, as much as I hate to admit, Calgary will be important match ups.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
a leafs fan chirping anybody about the 2nd round..
tenor.gif

Apparently the Oilers are the ones who have been bad for so long... but here's a secret in the last 4 decades, since the Oilers have entered the league, it really seems as if it's the Leafs who have been bad and for much longer:

Since the Oilers entered the League in 79-80:
Amount of Playoffs Series the Oilers have Won: 35
Amount of Playoffs Series the Leafs have won: 13

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Apparently the Oilers are the ones who have been bad for so long... but here's a secret in the last 4 decades, since the Oilers have entered the league, it really seems as if it's the Leafs who have been bad and for much longer:

Since the Oilers entered the League in 79-80:
Amount of Playoffs Series the Oilers have Won: 35
Amount of Playoffs Series the Leafs have won: 13[/QUOTE]

They want to honour Mats Sundin and not pass that number, the last Leaf Captain who took them to a 2 round 2003-2004!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oh we picking arbitrary starting points and cherry picking years instead of using the natural starting point for this comparison, when the Oilers actually started existing?

Okay how bout we look at recent history, last 15 years:
Amount of Playoff Series the Oilers have Won: 4
Amount of Playoff Series the Leafs have Won: 0

And the winner by a knockout is... :laugh:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Someone in the boards mentioned Oilers have had the lead for only 82 mins so just over 4/15 periods of hockey lol that just doesn't seem sustainable.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Someone in the boards mentioned Oilers have had the lead for only 82 mins so just over 4/15 periods of hockey lol that just doesn't seem sustainable.
Yea but you have to compare that to how much they've been behind, which I think is much less than that.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta

This is a ridiculous comment to make. When you take ONLY that into account you can make it look bad... but when you look at the opponents lead time AND the amount of time both teams were tied it tells a completely different story. Did that someone in the boards happen to mention how much time the opponents had the lead? Did they mention how much time both teams were tied? The real math is that most of the time played the teams were tied, and the Oilers actually had the lead for more time totalled in their games than they were behind.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Edmonton's roster, also due to buyouts and buried/retained salary, gives new meaning to "top-heavy".

If McD and Drai stay healthy they will put up great numbers and I wouldn't be shocked if they got to the playoffs. Less so with how the depth is looking in the West this season.
But unless there is young talent breaking through to provide above cap-hit production from the bottom 6, I also think those two have to wear the cape every night for Edmonton to have success.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

They have only trailed for 39 minutes. Context paints a different picture doesn't it?

Out of curiosity does anyone know the numbers for Carolina? It would be interesting to see how the other teams are stacking up.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They have only trailed for 39 minutes. Context paints a different picture doesn't it?

Out of curiosity does anyone know the numbers for Carolina? It would be interesting to see how the other teams are stacking up.
You guys should really subtract the NYR-EDM game from that because while they technically "had to come back," in reality they kicked the shit out of the Rangers and were only trailing after being Kakko'd via Ryan Strome making possibly the greatest pass of his career.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
You guys should really subtract the NYR-EDM game from that because while they technically "had to come back," in reality they kicked the **** out of the Rangers and were only trailing after being Kakko'd via Ryan Strome making possibly the greatest pass of his career.
Great idea! Take out the games that they win handily and only look at the games where they barely win or lose, THEN we can say how bad they are. That should work!

Reactions: DL44

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
You guys should really subtract the NYR-EDM game from that because while they technically "had to come back," in reality they kicked the **** out of the Rangers and were only trailing after being Kakko'd via Ryan Strome making possibly the greatest pass of his career.

You are probably correct but if we do that then the whole record (coming from behind) is null and void. I am just hoping that this new culture we are seeing will hold out the entire season and that the Oilers make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad