Midseason Top 50 OHL Prospects for the 2020 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 50 for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

The start of the 2020 calendar year is now upon us and that means it is time for me to re-evaluate my rankings for the 2020 Draft. The OHL season is past the half way mark which gives us a great indication of how certain players have developed in their draft season. Many players have stepped up to assume large roles on their club, while others have disappointed and find themselves on the outside looking in.

This is a much stronger group for the OHL than 2019, which may have been the weakest draft group that the league has produced in the modern era. The big four (Byfield, Drysdale, Perfetti, and Rossi) have performed up to expectations and all look like possible candidates for the top 10 of the draft. Additionally guys like Jack Quinn, Ryan O'Rourke, Jean Luc Foudy, Tyson Foerster and others have stepped up their games to give the OHL many candidates for the top two rounds. There is some serious high end depth here. And it may only be getting better as Jan Mysak, Martin Chromiak, and Nick Malik are joining in on the fun. It is an exciting year to be covering the league from a draft perspective.

For those unfamiliar with my lists, I only include first time eligible players. So a guy like Nico Daws isn't listed despite the fact that I'd expect him to receive very heavy draft consideration. I do a list of "re-entries" or second/third year eligible players prior to the draft.

And for comparison's sake, here's my preliminary top 50 from October.

Here's the list:

1. Quinton Byfield - Center/Left Wing - Sudbury Wolves
For those throwing shade at Byfield for his rather bland performance for Canada at the WJC's, you need to do yourself a favor and watch him play with Sudbury. Am I a little disappointed that he didn't factor in more? Sure. Does it change my opinion of him as a potential NHL superstar? Absolutely not. Byfield is not a polished product. His ability to impact the game without the puck is still a work in progress. He still needs to learn how he can use his size to impose his will in the offensive zone and neutral zone to force turnovers, or to at least apply pressure. He could stand to be a little more assertive with the puck, making quicker decisions below the goal line and in the neutral zone. But, he's a 6'4, 215lbs center who has everything going for him and whose potential impact on the ice is nearly limitless. His power and skill combination is rare to find. He dominates the offensive zone for full shifts, possessing the puck for 30+ seconds at a time, requiring multiple defenders to slow him down. His agility and ability to stop, start, and cut with the puck makes him do difficult to pin down. However, his vision is also top notch. As defenders are drawn to him, he finds open teammates with precise timing. He has that innate ability to process the game that simply can not be taught. As his confidence grows, and as he continues to improve his conditioning, I would expect some of his inconsistencies to iron themselves out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Byfield can put the Wolves on his back for Sudbury's inevitable playoff push.

2. Jamie Drysdale - Defense - Erie Otters
If Drysdale's skating did not impress you on the big ice during the World Juniors, I might worry about you. Drysdale's skating stride might be one of the more effortless ones that I have seen in the OHL during my time covering the league. As such, he is the consummate modern day defender. I have seen numerous quotes and interviews from his WJC coach Dale Hunter applauding Drysdale for his ability to recover dump ins, handle pressure, and start the breakout. Here in lies the secret to his success. He takes such great routes to pucks and is such a strong mover that teams are rarely able to establish possession deep in the offensive zone with Drysdale on the ice. He is learning how to use his mobility to be more aggressive defensively too, stepping up to deny zone entries and close gaps earlier. Offensively, his shot is not a major asset, but his vision with the puck and decision making are. Not many draft eligible defenders average more than a point per game in the OHL (Ryan Ellis, Drew Doughty, Ryan Merkley are recent examples). The one area of his game that I still want to see improvement from is Drysdale's assertiveness when running the point of the powerplay. His skating ability could be such an asset here in terms of opening up lanes, but he can be too complacent at times. This should improve with experience and greater confidence. As a right shot defender in a weaker draft year for defenders, Drysdale looks like a lock to be the first blueliner off the board and is still a potential top 5 pick IMO.

3. Marco Rossi - Center - Ottawa 67's
I have thought long and hard about this. To be honest, I didn't think I would be convinced to do it, but I have moved Rossi ahead of Perfetti in my rankings. This is starting to become a trend in the scouting community for good reason. Rossi has been too good in recent months and his play simply can not be ignored. Rossi has greatly surprised me this year with how he has been able to elevate his game. I initially saw someone that I thought would be a long time pro, but who was more likely a middle six center who could kill penalties and provide versatility, but lacked the creativity and skating ability to be a truly impactful offensive player at the NHL level. But his skating has improved a lot this year, and he is showing a more complete and creative skill set than I had originally given him credit for. There may not be a better player in the OHL below the hash marks. The way that he controls the wall is exciting to watch. He may not be the biggest kid at 5'9, but his strength and balance are exceptional. He is very difficult to knock off stride. Additionally, his agility is exceptional, especially with the puck, which showcases just how good his hands are. Like Byfield, Rossi often draws multiple defenders down low, drawing penalties or creating open lanes in the slot. Rossi's shot has improved a ton this year too; his release much quicker and explosive. Teams are having to really respect this and it is making him more difficult to defend. Take away his space and he seems to become more dangerous, not less. Throw in the fact that Rossi is also a terrific two-way player who anchors Ottawa's penalty kill and is on the ice late in the third period protecting leads, and you have a player with very few weaknesses now. Best case scenario, Rossi is a first line center who can play in any situation and who elevates the play of those around him. Worst case scenario, he's an elite third line center who can anchor your penalty kill. All the ways that he impacts the game are going to make him very attractive to a team drafting in the top 5-7 in June.

4. Cole Perfetti - Left Wing/Center - Saginaw Spirit
Look, as much as I have been impressed with Rossi's development this year, Perfetti has been terrific lately too. Rossi moving ahead of Perfetti speaks more to my belief that he can be the more complete player, in addition to sticking down the middle. But Perfetti is still a terrific prospect who deserves the consideration for the top 10 that he is getting. He is one of the smartest players in the draft with the puck on his stick. It is rare to see Perfetti make a poor decision with the puck. His hands are also top notch. He makes so many subtle plays in the offensive zone with the puck (be it a quick move between the legs coming off the wall, a self pass behind the net, etc) that help to maintain possession and create scoring chances. Of course, everyone knows about his release by now, which is deadly, especially when he sets up shop in the slot or near the dot. No question, his skating will need to improve though. His overall agility is strong. But his explosiveness and top speed need to improve, something that I have seen Perfetti himself acknowledge in interviews. Improving his strength and conditioning should do this. It should also help him fight through traffic to make plays a little more consistently. I would also like to see Perfetti improve his consistency away from the puck. At times he is fully engaged, active on the forecheck and in applying back pressure. And at other times, he has a tendency to float in the offensive zone, looking to get into scoring position while his linemates do the dirty work. However Perfetti is an exceptionally skilled and intelligent offensive player who has top line potential in the NHL.

5. Jack Quinn - Right Wing - Ottawa 67's
There may not be a hotter goal scorer in the OHL than Quinn right now. 17 goals in his last 15 games, which now puts him just outside the top 5 in goals in the OHL. Every time I see Quinn play, it seems like he gets better. His confidence grows by the week. IMO, Quinn is deserving of top 15 consideration for the NHL Draft and here is why. Firstly, I think he's still scratching the surface of what he is capable of offensively. Quinn may be a late birthday 2001 born (which some use to discredit his production), but it's important to consider that he's only in his second OHL season and has hit a growth spurt (from 5'9 to 6'1) that has him still growing into his skill set. Secondly, the progression he has shown in the areas of his game that needed improvement is extremely encouraging and IMO speaks volumes about his dedication and commitment to being a pro hockey player. His skating has improved considerably, adding a power element to his game that was lacking previously. Additionally, he has become a consistently engaged and committed two-way player who excels on the forecheck, kills penalties, forces turnovers, and is hungry for the puck. Thirdly, his skill set is quite complete. He has a wicked shot release and is gaining confidence in shooting the puck more and being more assertive in seeking out shooting opportunities. He makes quick decisions in the offensive zone and has good vision as a playmaker. Quinn is out there in all situations for the 67's (similar to Rossi) and plays a style that is easy to see translating to the NHL level. One thing I would like to see is him attacking the middle of the ice and playing through traffic more consistently with the puck on his stick, but even this; his consistency and confidence on the attack, is improving lately. Scouts coming to watch Marco Rossi play are going to come away equally as impressed by Quinn and I expect him to be a steady riser as the season progresses.

The Full List:
  1. Quinton Byfield
  2. Jamie Drysdale
  3. Marco Rossi
  4. Cole Perfetti
  5. Jack Quinn
  6. Ryan O’Rourke
  7. Jacob Perreault
  8. Tyson Foerster
  9. Antonio Stranges
  10. Jean Luc Foudy
  11. Jan Mysak
  12. Jaromir Pytlik
  13. Jack Thompson
  14. Ty Tullio
  15. Will Cuylle
  16. Luke Evangelista
  17. Oliver Suni
  18. Martin Chromiak
  19. Brandon Coe
  20. Logan Morrison
  21. Hayden Fowler
  22. Donovan Sebrango
  23. Ruben Rafkin
  24. Evan Vierling
  25. Rory Kerins
  26. Cameron Butler
  27. Andrei Bakanov
  28. Zayde Wisdom
  29. Reid Valade
  30. Isaak Phillips
  31. Tanner Dickinson
  32. Olle Bjorgvik Holm
  33. Lleyton Moore
  34. Jacob Murray
  35. James Hardie
  36. Ville Ottavainen
  37. Ethan Cardwell
  38. Tucker Tynan
  39. Mitchell Smith
  40. Declan McDonnell
  41. Riley Piercey
  42. Dylan Robinson
  43. Kirill Steklov
  44. Igor Chibrikov
  45. Alec Belanger
  46. Anthony Tabak
  47. Will Cranley
  48. Alex Johnston
  49. Owen Bennett
  50. Aidan Campbell

Check the link for full write ups and all HM's. As always, happy to answer any questions or reply to comments.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know most won't agree with me but I actually see Cuylle as a better prospect than Foudy. Foudy has the flash and dash but Cuylle has a more complete game aka a power forward type. He seems to be working hard on that part of his game. His shot is already NHL ready so for me he has just a wee bit more upside for an nhl team.

Reactions: lazyboy

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Brock I would love to see an article regarding winners and losers at the trade deadline. Not winners of trades per say but rather Teams that did the correct thing be it buy,sell or stand pat.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Brock I would love to see an article regarding winners and losers at the trade deadline. Not winners of trades per say but rather Teams that did the correct thing be it buy,sell or stand pat.

OHL Prospects (@BrockOtten) on Twitter

"Owen Sound: C+ The Attack and their management group take a lot of pride in their ability to make the playoffs. They have a solid team. But if you're going to keep Aidan Dudas, I think you need to make a couple small moves to make your team better. Just my two cents."

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
OHL Prospects (@BrockOtten) on Twitter

"Owen Sound: C+ The Attack and their management group take a lot of pride in their ability to make the playoffs. They have a solid team. But if you're going to keep Aidan Dudas, I think you need to make a couple small moves to make your team better. Just my two cents."
I was more curious about what the thoughts were of other teams. I wouldn’t give our GM even a “C” with how he did in this trade deadline. He failed miserably and if you check our board I’m not the only one that feels it’s time to let him go and replace him. Way too many mistakes in last few years.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I know most won't agree with me but I actually see Cuylle as a better prospect than Foudy. Foudy has the flash and dash but Cuylle has a more complete game aka a power forward type. He seems to be working hard on that part of his game. His shot is already NHL ready so for me he has just a wee bit more upside for an nhl team.

That's not a crazy opinion. I know of a few in the scouting community who share that with you.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I was more curious about what the thoughts were of other teams. I wouldn’t give our GM even a “C” with how he did in this trade deadline. He failed miserably and if you check our board I’m not the only one that feels it’s time to let him go and replace him. Way too many mistakes in last few years.

Yeah it's all on Twitter. I did every team.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I thought that a sell of Lyle and/or Dudas was in order considering the team's position in the standings and pick situation.

I thought the same applied to Sarnia and Erie, who really didn't need to spend picks on Sopa. The Soo is in that mix too, but they have little to sell and have played the best of the 4 lately.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Where do you picture Jacob Murray going? Personally, I don't think he's worth a pick, the physical attributes are there but I think he's lacking in the mental game, I see way too many turnovers and mental lapses in general. What is it about his play that says NHL prospect?
In other players write-ups you said you've talked to scouts - is there a general feeling on him? I'm curious because truth be told I just don't see a sniff of NHL at all.

I will say I'm happy people are catching on to Wisdom - I think he's a future staple in a teams bottom 6

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Where do you picture Jacob Murray going? Personally, I don't think he's worth a pick, the physical attributes are there but I think he's lacking in the mental game, I see way too many turnovers and mental lapses in general. What is it about his play that says NHL prospect?
In other players write-ups you said you've talked to scouts - is there a general feeling on him? I'm curious because truth be told I just don't see a sniff of NHL at all.

I will say I'm happy people are catching on to Wisdom - I think he's a future staple in a teams bottom 6

I think if Murray goes, it would be in the later rounds. As you said, his game is still raw. The last few times that I've seen Kingston, I've seen improvements in his decision making. I think he's definitely turned a bit of a corner. That said, he still has a long way to go.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I think if Murray goes, it would be in the later rounds. As you said, his game is still raw. The last few times that I've seen Kingston, I've seen improvements in his decision making. I think he's definitely turned a bit of a corner. That said, he still has a long way to go.
Thanks for the reply - I'm assuming this is just first year eligible players - for second year eligible players do you see Billy Constantinou getting picked? I was one of the few that wasn't shocked he didn't get picked last year, I found he often played very selfishly when he was in Kingston.

Reactions: flamebird

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply - I'm assuming this is just first year eligible players - for second year eligible players do you see Billy Constantinou getting picked? I was one of the few that wasn't shocked he didn't get picked last year, I found he often played very selfishly when he was in Kingston.
I think Brock ( or someone else) produces such a list. I'm sure I remember reading that groups rankings in the past.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015

I think Brock ( or someone else) produces such a list. I'm sure I remember reading that groups rankings in the past.

From the write up above:
For those unfamiliar with my lists, I only include first time eligible players. So a guy like Nico Daws isn't listed despite the fact that I'd expect him to receive very heavy draft consideration. I do a list of "re-entries" or second/third year eligible players prior to the draft.

That being said, I'd be interested in Constantinou's status for the upcoming draft, as well as Cole MacKay.

Reactions: View from section 9

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
From the write up above:

That being said, I'd be interested in Constantinou's status for the upcoming draft, as well as Cole MacKay.

To answer the question about Constantinou (from multiple people), he'd be my third ranked "re-entry" OHL player currently behind Daws and Gogolev. Oksentyuk and Solovyov would round out the rest of the top 5. With these players, I put a ton of weight on performance down the stretch and into the playoffs though. So this is far from set in stone.

Reactions: Finster8

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Teams will be in on him this year for sure. He's tightened up defensively and his passing has been incredible. He's a better bet than some similar first time players like Lleyton Moore if you ask me.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Teams will be in on him this year for sure. He's tightened up defensively and his passing has been incredible. He's a better bet than some similar first time players like Lleyton Moore if you ask me.
Constantinou had Moore's mobility in minor midget with the Marlies but has gotten worse since joining the OHL, which is something I haven't seen very often before. Never been a fan of his decision making either. There's a reason he's been on 3 teams in 2 years

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Constantinou had Moore's mobility in minor midget with the Marlies but has gotten worse since joining the OHL, which is something I haven't seen very often before. Never been a fan of his decision making either. There's a reason he's been on 3 teams in 2 years

I would recommend getting a couple of looks at him now that he is comfortable in the Greyhounds system. He's excelling in a system that utilizes his speed well. He really looks like a new player.

He looked very bad in Kingston. That was terrible for his development, but he seems to be back on track.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Is Byfield the next Malkin in terms of his style and success? If so watch out NHL! :)

Reactions: flamebird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad