Midseason Top 50 (OHL Players) for the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 50 for the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

The COVID pandemic may be rearing its ugly head again, however the OHL remains committed to playing through it and getting this season in. Considering that we're almost at the half way point of the 2021/22 season (or are we past it if the OHL decides to shorten the season?), that means it is time for me to re-evaluate my rankings for the 2022 Draft. The fact that the OHL season is near the half way mark gives us a great indication of how certain players have developed in their draft season, especially given the gigantic layoff many experienced with last year's cancelled season. Many players have stepped up to assume large roles on their club, while others have disappointed and find themselves on the outside looking in.
Truthfully, evaluating the strength of this year's crop is still a major work in progress. The damage the layoff did to individual development was significant and I'm not sure we'll have a great indication of how it has affected this OHL group for a number of years still. It is easy to forget that the vast majority of the players listed here are playing in their first OHL seasons. The adjustment is real. While it is not reflected in this list (obviously), the one thing that I'll really be looking for is how well certain players close out this OHL season. By then, players should be comfortable and confident enough to show us their true stripes and year end performances should give us a great idea of how certain players may look moving forward. At this point, I would say that only two OHL players are definitive first round selections (Wright and Mintyukov). There are several others who I think should and could be first rounders, but they are not locks. This has led to many suggesting that it is a down year for the OHL. Again, I do think it is too early to make that assertion.

For those unfamiliar with my lists, I only include first time eligible players. So a guy like Tucker Robertson isn't listed despite the fact that I'd expect him to receive very heavy draft consideration. I do a list of "re-entries" or second/third year eligible players prior to the draft.

And for comparison's sake, here's my preliminary top 50 from November. Additionally, here is the preliminary media/scout poll from late December.

Here's the list:

1. Shane Wright - Center - Kingston Frontenacs
The former exceptional status player and CHL rookie of the year came into the season riding an extreme high after dominating the IIHF U18's in Texas, leading Canada to an elusive gold medal as an "underager." Yet many have been highly critical of his play this year with Kingston, as he has not been the consistent play driver and focal point that many expected him to be. His production is down, while others in Kingston have stepped up. Is this a cause for concern and is Wright still the top player available in 2022? Honestly, these are great questions. I still believe that he is, but I've become less critical and judgmental of those who believe otherwise. Look, I do believe that Shane Wright is going to become a long time NHL player and someone who will be an integral part of his future NHL team's success. He does too many things well to not be. However, I also would not be surprised that when all is said and done, he is not the highest scoring and/or best player from this draft class (from outside the OHL, obviously). When you compare Wright's play this year versus previous years (his rookie OHL year, his U16 year with Don Mills), the one thing missing from Wright's game is pace. Deliberate or not, Wright is not attacking the offensive zone with the same feverish pace that he has previously. In a way, it has made his game somewhat predictable. He leads the charge across the blueline, gains the zone, uses a c-cut or a pivot to alter his pace and assesses the ice to find a passing lane. What teams are doing now, are doubling him as he crosses the blueline, using the defender to cut off his advance and a support forward to take away his time and space quickly. Part of the issue for him here is that while he is certainly a strong skater (his top linear speed is excellent), his explosiveness and ability to use linear crossovers to build speed while altering direction are only average to slightly above average. This is causing the play to bottle up for Wright a lot. The good news is that Wright is incredibly intelligent...easily one of the smartest players that I've seen come through the OHL. He finds a way to crack this coverage with quick touch passes and quick hands. He plays a very mature game and a very pro ready game inside the opposing blueline; most of his decisions are made quickly and efficiently and are predicated on his linemates making necessary reads and finding those openings in coverage. Wright also possesses a fantastic wrist shot that should see him score his fair share of goals in the NHL, especially when you combine it with his instincts. Defensively, the awareness is top notch. The physicality is not. He has the potential to develop into a Patrice Bergeron, Jonathan Toews type of player, but he'll need to learn to be harder on puck carriers than he is to become an elite two-way force at the NHL level. To summarize, I still believe Wright should be ranked first overall and I still believe that he should become a high end NHL player, but this season has brought to light some inefficiencies in his game that need to be corrected before he can reach that potential.

2. Pavel Mintyukov - Defense - Saginaw Spirit
Mintyukov has easily become one of my favourite prospects eligible this year (among any league). He is just such a fun player to watch. The skill level he possesses is extremely high. When you combine his mobility, skill, and size together, you have a player who dominates touches in the offensive zone and who has become extremely aggressive in playing deep to create offense. For those in the scouting community who are calling him one dimensional and bringing to light his defense inadequacies, I would disagree. It's easy to forget that Mintyukov started the year for Saginaw in more of a shutdown role and looked like a rock in his own end. As his confidence with the puck has grown, we have seen lapses in coverage and in judgment at the expense of trying to create offense. However, the beginning of the year tells us that he can be an asset in the defensive end with his skating ability, length, and aggressiveness. It's about finding that balance. I do truly believe that his potential as a dominant two-way defender may be the highest of any defenseman available in this draft class.

3. Ty Nelson - Defense - North Bay Battalion
Nelson has grown a lot on me over the course of this season and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's already made a ton of necessary adjustments to his game to become a more consistent player at both ends. He's not big, but you have to love his compete level and aggressiveness defensively. At times, it does get him into trouble, but he has learned to pick his spots better as the season has gone on and is doing a better job of defending the slot and net front by keeping his focus and chasing the puck less. Offensively, I think his vision is top notch and I really like the way he quarterbacks the powerplay. As the season has gone on, he has improved his ability to hold the line and is keeping his feet moving more to help open up those lanes...especially shooting lanes for his monstrous point shot. There is a lot to like here. The one thing that concerns me is that I don't think he's a dynamic four way mover. His lateral and backwards stride and transitions are not as smooth as you would like for a smaller defender, given his lack of reach. This leads to him having trouble defending attackers with pace at times. When he is able to make a correct read and jump the play, he shuts down attacks early in the neutral zone or at the blueline. However, when he is forced to stay back and back peddle, it becomes more of an issue for him. This has to be priority number one moving forward. For that reason, I do think that there is a chance that many NHL scouts do not have him as a first round selection. However, I have seen enough progression in his game this year to know that he is capable of making adjustments and is willing to put in the work to improve himself.

4. Owen Beck - Center - Mississauga Steelheads
What drives Beck's game is his speed. For my money, he has to be considered one of the best skaters in this draft class. However, I have been extremely impressed by Beck's ability to see the ice and make plays at top speed, something many other draft eligible speedsters have a tough time with. There's really a lot to like about his game overall. He can play in any situation and his compete level is solid. He is terrific on faceoffs. His shot is a major asset and it truly rounds out his offensive skill set. At first, I wasn't as sure that I saw significant offensive potential in him at the next level, but the more I have watched, the more I have come to believe that he is skilled and intelligent enough to be an eventual second line center. The key for Beck is to become stronger. He does disappear in stretches when he is not able to use his speed to force turnovers or lead the attack, but it's not from a lack of effort. Once he is able to play through contact more sufficiently and hold the wall more consistently, he should develop into an offensive force at the OHL level and beyond. With the NHL game predicated on speed today, you could do a lot worse than Owen Beck at the back half of the first round.

5. Matyas Sapovaliv - Center - Saginaw Spirit
Credit to Sapovaliv. It's pretty clear that this young man has put in the work to improve his overall stride and mobility. Watching him previous to his time in the OHL, he was a little stiff and it forced him to be mostly a linear attacker. However, by improving his agility, he is able to control the puck through pivots and lateral pushes, allowing him to prolong possession down low and weave through traffic in transitional attacks. Much like Owen Beck, Sapovaliv is equal parts playmaker and goal scorer, however I have been most impressed with his vision and poise in the offensive end. Sapovaliv also shows great potential to become an asset defensively with his long reach and anticipation. He forces a lot of turnovers in the slot and is very disruptive. The only thing truly missing from his game is physical intensity. That's not to say that he is soft. However, I would love to see him use that size to hold position near the crease or drive the net more consistently. Additionally, it would truly elevate his defensive potential. That said, I think he is an underrated gem available this year, whose production is only recently starting to match his effectiveness. He passes the eye test a lot more than he passes the stat test.

6. Matthew Poitras - Center/Wing - Guelph Storm
Poitras has been a guy that I've been pretty high on since the beginning of the OHL season. There's just a lot to like about his game. He's a true micro play driver in the sense that he always seems to have his hand in significant offensive chances when he is on the ice. Be it his original forecheck securing possession for the Storm. Be it a nice play along the wall that prolongs possession. Be it a good read into open space to receive a pass or get a shot on net. Poitras is a player who understands the finer components to the game and is skilled enough and tenacious enough to take advantage of it. I'm not entirely convinced that he is a center at the next level, but his shot, tenacity, and vision could play well in any position. The one thing I wish is that he was a little better skater given his size. He's not a poor skater by any means, but right now his quickness and top speed would grade out as average at the next level. And given that he also lacks the strength to consistently maintain possession through contact, it has led to inconsistent production for him. That is why he has fallen a little bit in my rankings from someone I saw early on as a Top 25 guy, to now being more of a 35-50 guy.

7. Paul Ludwinski - Center/Wing - Kingston Frontenacs
The million dollar question surrounding Ludwinski is whether you believe that he is individually skilled enough to be a top six player at the NHL level. There's no doubting the skating ability. There's no doubting the effort level. He is a consistent source of positive energy on the ice. However, he has yet to show a consistent ability to drive play with the puck on his stick. Too often do his forays through the neutral zone, where he is attacking with speed, result in little truly created. He is currently at his best when he can use his quickness and hustle to hunt down loose pucks and make plays in the slot to set up or finish off chances. As I said in the media/scout poll, Ludwinski was a player that I felt like I had the best grasp of coming into the year (based on his time in the GTHL), but now I am the most confused about. I really like the player still, but I am also hesitant to believe that he can be a consistent offensive producer at the next level.

8. Bryce McConnell-Barker - Center/Wing - Soo Greyhounds
I view BMB similar to the way that I view Ludwinski at this point. There is a real solid foundation there. He skates well. He can push the pace. He is a committed three zone player. His shot is an asset. Yet, the production and creation has not been consistent offensively. Part of that can be attributed to an ever-changing role with the Greyhounds, a veteran laden squad. But, I do wonder if some of it can be attributed to skill related and/or awareness related deficiencies that could prevent him from being a top six, or even top nine NHL player. I'd love to see BMB attack the middle of the ice with more consistency to get himself those looks in the slot to utilize his high end shot. I think there's also a hesitancy to take creative liberties with the puck on the attack, as he falls back to playing more of a safe game. I've seen enough skilled plays with the puck this year to suggest that he is capable of more. Much like Ludwinski, I'm still ranking him highly because I believe in the potential of the overall package. Even if he develops into more of a Blake Coleman type, that has terrific value where he is slotted to be taken currently in that 35-60 range.

9. Danny Zhilkin - Center - Guelph Storm
No question, Zhilkin is blessed with high end physical tools. He is an entry machine with his ability to attack and make skilled plays at top speed. When you combine this attacking mentality with his improving defensive awareness and effort, you have a true quick strike player who can be a difference maker in the blink of an eye. However, my issue with Zhilkin is that I just don't see high end vision with the puck. There's a lot of flash, but at times the substance and results are lacking. This has been true dating back to his Toronto Marlboros' days. He is someone who can skate himself into trouble and has trouble adjusting to reads on the fly. That said, there is a very high floor here with Zhilkin because of his tools and because of the way that he has re-invented himself (to an extent) to become a quality three zone player. NHL teams will see someone who can be a high end bottom six player even if his decision making doesn't improve with time because of his skating ability, hands, and tenaciousness. High floor, high ceiling centers with decent size do not grow on trees. Thus why he is ranked inside the first round by some publications (and I would assume some NHL organizations). For me, I just like the sense and touch of a few others more.

10. Luca DelBelBelluz - Center - Mississauga Steelheads
Seriously, how could you not be impressed by DelBelBelluz thus far? The late born '03 has been one of the OHL's most improved players from a few years ago. The Mississauga Steelheads have been one of the OHL's best teams this season and he is a large reason for that. Not only can he dictate pace and consistently create scoring chances, but he has also been exceptional in the defensive end too. Good sized centers with a two-way acumen are difficult to find and it is likely why DelBelBelluz hears his name called inside the first two rounds in July. So why don't I have him higher? The skating concerns me. DelBelBelluz has been able to be a factor in transition because of his quick hands and how well he protects the puck through traffic, and not because of his quickness. His stride mechanics are a little wonky and it prevents him from generating significant power and quickness. So much of what LDBB does on the ice is predicated on his ability to penetrate the middle of the ice and attack and I'm concerned that he won't be able to do that as effectively at the next level without improvements made to his ability to generate speed. Again, I love the player and the complete package and for that reason, I still look at him in the second round. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who can make the type of overall impact that he can outside of the first round. Think of LDBB as the anti-Danny Zhilkin with a similar projection.

11. David Goyette
12. Isaiah George
13. Vinzenz Rohrer
14. Ruslan Gazizov
15. Hunter Haight
16. Gavin Hayes
17. Jorian Donovan
18. Liam Arnsby
19. Spencer Sova
20. Kirill Kudravtsyev
21. Pano Fimis
22. Beau Jelsma
23. Brady Stonehouse
24. Servac Petrovsky
25. Michael Buchinger
26. Jake Karabela
27. Zak Lavoie
28. Tnias Mathurin
29. Evan Konyen
30. Ryan Abraham

See the link for the full write ups and the full top 50.

As always, happy to answer any questions/respond to any comments.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing it with us Brock.

I agree with you on Brady Stonehouse. He is a king pest out there, constantly working hard and getting under his opponents’ skins. A fan favourite.

Rohrer seems to be getting better by the month. I think that he’ll have a big second half possibly playing with Jack Beck and/or Tyler Boucher.

My third favourite draft eligible on Ottawa is Teddy Sawyer. He skates, hits and competes hard and has looked really good in the past few games I’ve seen.

Reactions: Brock

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Great analysis...I love reading your work!

Surprised you didn't include (G) Andrew Oke from Saginaw in your rankings. Obviously I'm biased as a Saginaw fan but I think he's facing an average of 10 breakaways and 2on1's per game and he's still keeping the Spirit in games. While Lennox is a very solid goalie, there hasn't been a big drop off in skill on the nights that Andrew is in net considering it's his rookie season since he didn't play anywhere last year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing it with us Brock.

I agree with you on Brady Stonehouse. He is a king pest out there, constantly working hard and getting under his opponents’ skins. A fan favourite.

Rohrer seems to be getting better by the month. I think that he’ll have a big second half possibly playing with Jack Beck and/or Tyler Boucher.

My third favourite draft eligible on Ottawa is Teddy Sawyer. He skates, hits and competes hard and has looked really good in the past few games I’ve seen.

I had Sawyer in my Top 30 to start the year from the OHL, but he's actually been one of the biggest disappointments for me. Thought he flashed some great things two years ago as a rookie. This year, I'm just not seeing a ton of progression, especially offensively. And given that he's not blessed with more than average stature, his projection as a shutdown player at the next level is unlikely unless he can further round out his games. Let's see how he finishes the year and can sustain his recent elevated level of play.

Reactions: BarberPole9

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Great analysis...I love reading your work!

Surprised you didn't include (G) Andrew Oke from Saginaw in your rankings. Obviously I'm biased as a Saginaw fan but I think he's facing an average of 10 breakaways and 2on1's per game and he's still keeping the Spirit in games. While Lennox is a very solid goalie, there hasn't been a big drop off in skill on the nights that Andrew is in net considering it's his rookie season since he didn't play anywhere last year.

Tough getting a read on some of these OHL goalies this year given their lack of playing time. While some have flashed some good things, none have really been able to sustain a consistently high level of play that warrants NHL draft consideration. It started with Oster, then he cooled down. Lalonde has been hot at times. Oke too. It would not shock me at all if the OHL does not have a goalie selected this year. That said, I will keep a closer eye on Oke down the stretch.

ohl16

Jun 27, 2016
Tough getting a read on some of these OHL goalies this year given their lack of playing time. While some have flashed some good things, none have really been able to sustain a consistently high level of play that warrants NHL draft consideration. It started with Oster, then he cooled down. Lalonde has been hot at times. Oke too. It would not shock me at all if the OHL does not have a goalie selected this year. That said, I will keep a closer eye on Oke down the stretch.
Oke has some rough numbers but he’s played really well against Flint. I’d like to see how bad they’d be if you take the Flint games out. Seen a lot of Lalonde this year too. He’s been really impressive at times and seems to play a little better each time I see him. Was wondering if Coulson Pitre would make your list. What is it in his game you see that had you omit him?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Oke has some rough numbers but he’s played really well against Flint. I’d like to see how bad they’d be if you take the Flint games out. Seen a lot of Lalonde this year too. He’s been really impressive at times and seems to play a little better each time I see him. Was wondering if Coulson Pitre would make your list. What is it in his game you see that had you omit him?

The fact that he's eligible next because of his December birthday ;)

If he was born in August, he'd be in the top 20 of this list. He looks like a candidate for the first two rounds next year. Has been very impressive with Flint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad