3. Casey Mittelstadt BUF
4. Miro Heiskanen DAL
5. Philip Chytil NYR
6. Cale Makar COL
7. Martin Necas CAR
8. Dylan Strome ARI
9. Kiefer Bellows NYI
10. Ilya Samsanov WAS

Why do you have Heiskanen so low? Easily in the top 3, if not #1 or 2.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does Dylan Strome belong here? If he doesn't get his head into the,when he plays in the NHL
and if he doesn't improve his skating,..top 10 prospect?

Maybe his position isn't center,in the NHL that is.
- when he played with DeBrincat&McDavid he played winger
reg: 68ga 45g+84a=129pts | po: 20 ga 10g+12a=22pts
He didn't play with McDavid, he played on the 2nd line. Also remember McDavid missed 6 to 8 weeks between his hand injury and the WJC.

His game is pretty obviously the game of a centre. The issues he has problems with, aren't really going to improve by playing on the wing. Just look at his brother, who has similar issues. He needs to gain strength to win battles, add explosiveness and play at a higher pace. The only think that holds him back at centre that is a clear deficiency is explosiveness.

But, I've never seen Strome play the wing for an extended period of time. He's always been a center who likes to have the play run through him. You'd have the same issues Buffalo had with Sam Reinhart playing wing in that it doesn't maximize his talent. So, he can play it at a top 6 level, but you aren't going to bring out the talent that made him a high-pick. Its not like Moving Bennett or Nylander to the wing who can use their speed to cause more havoc there with lessened defensive responsibilities.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

member 147413

Because the leafs dont have a prospect in it?
No, the Leafs don’t have any top end prospects.

It’s because I’m not impressed with a few of the prospects at the top.

Edit: Do you want me to say I think Pettersson is extremely impressive? Because I think he’s a phenomenal prospect and will be a star in the league. I was simply stating my opinion, I’m hoping now you’ll be less offended because I like your teams prospect.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think Elias Pettersson is going to disappoint. Just have a bad feeling about him. I don't know why. I think he's going to be an NHL player but he will be an average 2nd line/ middle 6 guy. Hope I'm wrong but I'm usually good at gauging prospects.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014

Edit: Do you want me to say I think Pettersson is extremely impressive? Because I think he’s a phenomenal prospect and will be a star in the league. I was simply stating my opinion, I’m hoping now you’ll be less offended because I like your teams prospect.
Regardless of Pettersson... What about Heiskanen and Tolvanen who are having record breaking years in mens leagues?

Reactions: Kcb12345

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Still find it crazy that Borgstrom who was passed over in the draft his first year has came this far. Plays the game with a really unique style too

Reactions: Deam78

member 147413

Regardless of Pettersson... What about Heiskanen and Tolvanen who are having record breaking years in mens leagues?
I’m not confident in Heiskanen being a top pairing defender in the NHL.

Tolvanen is impressive, he has all the right tools, but I’m always weary of smaller players’ games translating to the NHL. Yes it seems the league is getting “smaller”, but it’s still tough being that small in a much more physical league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I’m not confident in Heiskanen being a top pairing defender in the NHL.

Tolvanen is good, he has the right tools, but I’m always weary of smaller players’ games translating to the NHL. Yes it seems the league is getting “smaller”, but it’s still tough being that small in a much more physical league.

Why aren't you confident in Heiskanen?

member 147413

Why aren't you confident in Heiskanen?
He’s really good at everything and a phenomenal skater. I don’t think he’s physically strong enough for his cerebral defensive game to be AS effective for him in the NHL. He’s also not as offensively gifted as his numbers suggest. Yes that can change, call me a gambling man, I don’t think he’ll add enough strength to be more than a “number 3” dman.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

The reason the Leafs don't have top prospects is because most of them have made the team IE. Matthews, etc.

Reactions: FishManSam

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He’s really good at everything and a phenomenal skater. I don’t think he’s physically strong enough for his cerebral defensive game to be AS effective for him in the NHL. He’s also not as offensively gifted as his numbers suggest. Yes that can change, call me a gambling man, I don’t think he’ll add enough strength to be more than a “number 3” dman.

The offensive talent is definitely there, but that's not how he'd be used in Dallas so I guess it depends on the team. He'd likely play with Klingberg and be used a lot like Esa Lindell is being used right now (defense is the main focus, but can contribute offensively). His game should only improve but so far he doesn't let his size affect his play because he is so smart positionally and always seems to have his stick in the right spot. His smart play is what will allow him to succeed, but he can still throw some hits if he needs to. He has the capability

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

The thing with Dallas is we dont need his offensive ability all that much. Assuming Honka is still in our Organization's plans for the future (less certain because its now pretty clear Hitch just doesnt think he can contribute every day) we already have 2 guys that are/can be elite offensively from the blue line. We desperately needed Heiskanen to become a top pair LD because we had none then Lindell decided to take a massive step forward this year. So now there is way less pressure on Heiskanen. Less pressure on a high end prospect usually ends up helping them grow as they dont have to do nearly as much

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Still find it crazy that Borgstrom who was passed over in the draft his first year has came this far. Plays the game with a really unique style too
He was like 5'7 at the start of his actual draft season (2014-15). He is a prime example of a late bloomer.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I’d definitely put Casey behind Miro and maybe even Makar but otherwise it’s a decent list.

HF always puts too much stock into the WJC so I’m not surprised to see Casey #2.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How many folks are actually watching the NCAA games? It’s one thing to look at stats. It’s not much better watching a few highlights online or in social media feeds. It’s another to watch games on a small computer screen still another to watch games in 4K on a big screen and of course going to the games is the most revealing. Without some context to how you arrive at your conclusions it’s hard to evaluate the claims. In Mittlestadt’s case my guess is that when he puts his mind to it he is a step ahead of everyone else but there are other times he doesn’t go all out and looks ordinary. But it’s just that, a guess based on a few TV viewings of WJC some bad internet feeds of prospect games and one TV viewing of an NCAA game. I’d like to hear what the people who watch him in person routinely see when he plays. Those folks are members here even if they are not always visible.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
How many folks are actually watching the NCAA games? It’s one thing to look at stats. It’s not much better watching a few highlights online or in social media feeds. It’s another to watch games on a small computer screen still another to watch games in 4K on a big screen and of course going to the games is the most revealing. Without some context to how you arrive at your conclusions it’s hard to evaluate the claims. In Mittlestadt’s case my guess is that when he puts his mind to it he is a step ahead of everyone else but there are other times he doesn’t go all out and looks ordinary. But it’s just that, a guess based on a few TV viewings of WJC some bad internet feeds of prospect games and one TV viewing of an NCAA game. I’d like to hear what the people who watch him in person routinely see when he plays. Those folks are members here even if they are not always visible.
The eye test is definitely a factor to consider. However, at the end of the day, as a top prospect in the NHL, you just have to produce. Especially with the recent productive draft+1 seasons we've seen from Keller, Connor, Boeser, White, Jost, etc, etc, etc, who all played in different scenarios and all had possible reasons as to why they weren't in the best position to succeed. Yet they all overcame them and actually produced at elite levels.

That being said, I am a fan of Mittelstadt and DO think he will pick it up next year. But I still think ranking him 2nd right now, is too high. Definitely a tier below Heiskanen and Tolvanen. Maybe even Makar.

Mittelstadt is in the Thomas, Chytil, Glass, Vilardi tier of forwards as of currently imo. I think the recent WJC success really shot him up in the rankings. Just look at how many people would have taken Puljujarvi before Laine after the 2014 WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->