[Midseason] HF Voted Top 10 NHL Prospects

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I think this is a pretty decent ranking right now. A few people can be interchanged, but no big surprises or omissions. A number of people said they would like to continue to #25. I will be unable to keep up with the committment of doing that, but I give permission for anyone to continue the polls.

1. Elias Pettersson VAN
2. Casey Mittelstadt BUF
3. Miro Heiskanen DAL
4. Cale Makar COL
5. Eeli Tolvanen NSH
6. Dylan Strome ARI
7. Kirill Kaprizov MIN
8. Martin Necas CAR
9. Lias Andersson NYR
10. Henrik Borgstrom FLA

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Would appreciate it if someone could give me the lowdown on Martin Necas. His stats don't blow me away given his ranking but I don't know much about the guy.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Yeah he’s been good but top 10? You must be a fan of the team that drafted him

Vesalainen is the complete package and is performing/producing, limitless upside to his game, I can see why some would place him there.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me the lowdown on Martin Necas. His stats don't blow me away given his ranking but I don't know much about the guy.

He was one of the best players in the WJC20, has very good wheels, I expect his game to translate well in the NHL.

Reactions: Ookhaab

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Vesalainen is the complete package and is performing/producing, limitless upside to his game, I can see why some would place him there.

He was one of the best players in the WJC20, has very good wheels, I expect his game to translate well in the NHL.
I dislike using wjc to judge a prospect when his larger sample season numbers don't correlate well

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

very good WJC showing relative to the other players on this list

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i dig how my top 3 prospect didn't make the top 10, not your fault OP

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I dislike using wjc to judge a prospect when his larger sample season numbers don't correlate well

Necas' WJC didn't just come out of nowhere though, just like with Mittelstadt. The immense talent was there for people to see long before their impressive tourneys. Though I do agree that HF loves to over-rate WJC performances.

Reactions: DaveG

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Does Dylan Strome belong here? If he doesn't get his head into the,when he plays in the NHL
and if he doesn't improve his skating,..top 10 prospect?

Maybe his position isn't center,in the NHL that is.
- when he played with DeBrincat&McDavid he played winger
reg: 68ga 45g+84a=129pts | po: 20 ga 10g+12a=22pts

Reactions: FishManSam

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Heiskanen should probably be above Mittelstadt, but both have potential to be fantastic players so idc. Like you said some could be interchanged. Would also swap Tolvanen and Makar probably

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He had a good WJC, that’s pretty much it. Good prospect but there’s about 20 guys that could be 5-10 on this list, not much seperation.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He's doing well enough in Extraliga. It's not exactly a high scoring league (last year, the top scorer had 52 points in 50 games), plus he missed a lot of time first with Carolina, then on the WJC. Look at Chytil last year - he had 8 points in 38 games and now he's almost .ppg in the AHL - not comparing the two, just stressing out that points can be misleading in this case.

Anyway I think Nečas has the tools to be really special - when he shows up, he can completely change the game (example: last year's playoffs, where he was a big part of why they won the cup). The problem is he's often just sort of quiet - not bad, but quiet. Some say it's a confidence issue - he defers too much to the older, more experienced players instead of just taking things into his own hands, which is why he shone at the WJC where he was expected to be the leader but sort of stays under the radar in Kometa.

He's really fast and I love his hands, his IQ, his shot - I just wish it was there all the time.

If he reaches his potential, he'll be amazing. If he doesn't, he'll still be a good player, but one that always leaves you frustrated when once in a while he does that thing and why doesn't he bring that every game?!

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Mittelstadt too high.

I like Vesalainen but he's not over anyone on the list, nor Chytil/Thomas/Vilardi/Kyrou/Frost/Heponiemi.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Does Dylan Strome belong here? If he doesn't get his head into the,when he plays in the NHL
and if he doesn't improve his skating,..top 10 prospect?

Maybe his position isn't center,in the NHL that is.
- when he played with DeBrincat&McDavid he played winger
reg: 68ga 45g+84a=129pts | po: 20 ga 10g+12a=22pts

Why are you bringing up numbers from the 14/15 season?

Especially when he went on to have 2 better years playing C in the OHL and is currently killing it as a C in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad