Midseason grades?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I'm pretty perplexed as to why some people want to give our defensemen a pass so to speak just because they play too much or are given roles that they are not best suited for. Poor play is poor play in my book and should not be excused. Guys like Severson and Moore aren't allowed to make bad decisions and commit turnovers galore because they should be playing less. Quincey, Merrill, and Santini are the only guys who I think have performed admirably, but that's probably because they either haven't played very much or the expectations were so low that they were easy to exceed. The collective grade from all our other defensemen is a solid D.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Beau Bennett: C
Michael Cammalleri: B-
Vernon Fiddler: B-
Luke Gazdic: F
Taylor Hall: B+
Adam Henrique: B-
Jacob Josefson: C
Sergey Kalinin: C
Nick Lappin: B-
Kyle Palmieri: C+
PA Parenteau: B+
Miles Wood: B+
Pavel Zacha: B-
Travis Zajac: A- (He's been our most consistent player, never seen him take a night off, our teams MVP so far)

Defenseman:
Yohann Auvitu: C+
Andy Greene: B
Seth Helgeson: F
Ben Lovejoy: C-
Jon Merrill: B+
John Moore: D
Kyle Quincey: C+
Steven Santini: A
Damon Severson: B-

Keith Kinkaid: B+
Cory Schneider: C+

Hynes and Staff: D

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Bennett, Beau C+
Really has just been there, if anything. I don't expect him to produce significantly, but more than he has. At least he isn't a detriment out there.

Cammalleri, Michael C
As inconsistent as inconsistent gets. Ice cold, scorching hot and back to ice cold.

Fiddler, Vernon B
Doing exactly what he was brought here for, even if the offense has dried up, which is something I expected. Nothing flashy, just does his job.

Gazdic, Luke F
Nothing more needs to be said.

Hall, Taylor B+
Like AfroThunder, I think he's fighting lower body issues also. You see how dynamic he can be when he's on, I almost wish he'd take the all-star game off to rest up. Have faith in him turning it back on soon enough.

Henrique, Adam C+
Still contributing, but the effort doesn't look like it's there. Not sure what the issue is here, but he could be more effective.

Josefson, Jacob C-
Thank god for the shootout.

Kalinin, Sergey C
Don't hate him as much as others here do, but he's not productive enough to warrant a consistent role.

Lappin, Nick C+
Flew out of the gate but has cooled off once the team lost its confidence as a whole. Think he'll be an effective bottom 6 guy who can fill in spots in the top 6 when needed.

Palmieri, Kyle C+
The points aren't coming and you can tell he's squeezing the stick too tight. Still think he's played better as of late, but hopefully he starts to get his shot through more effectively, otherwise his confidence gets shot.

Parenteau, PA B+
Can't say anything bad about him as a waiver pickup who scores goals, because that's exactly what he's done.

Smith-Pelley, Devante D
Everything he did effectively when he was acquired has been thrown out the window. Not sure what he thinks he needs to do to be effective, but everything he has been doing has been awful.

Wood, Miles A
Has been the team's spark plug as of late, still needs growth and seasoning but he has all the tools.

Zacha, Pavel C+
Don't let the masses tell you he doesn't belong or that he's a bust. He's 19 and learning his way. When he starts to build his confidence back and start getting pucks on net more, the numbers will start to go up. He needs to know his strengths and play to them.

Zajac, Travis A-
He's probably been the most consistent player on this team, for what that's worth on a team riddled with inconsistencies.

Auvitu, Yohann C+
I like his game, but he needs time to learn the North American style. Started to become a defensive liability, if he can work those kinks out, he could be very effective as his shot generation was very good.

Greene, Andy B-
Has gotten a lot of flak on here, but this defense needs him. The results without him are pretty evident. He's a smart enough player that he'll bounce back.

Lovejoy, Ben D
Guy is a good interview, but I am not a fan of his game at all. The little things are difficult for him. Wouldn't mind him as a 6th/7th D man, but obviously that's not how he's being used. It'll be a long couple of years.

Merrill, Jon B
I've been a fan of his, so I'm happy that he has played well under pressure since he came back into the lineup. If he can keep this up, it will save us a lot of hassle.

Moore, John D
I don't care how he gets his points, he's not good. Makes way too many mistakes for his offense. Send him to Uranus.

Quincey, Kyle D+
Is what he is at this point.

Santini, Steve A
Really happy with his play so far, hope his role is expanded to get his feet wet under heavy minutes. Could be a bedrock for this team going forward.

Severson, Damon B
Was fantastic in the first couple of months, but his play has been frustrating lately. Comes with the territory of the minutes he plays and the responsibility on a young defenseman. Think he'll even out when Greene gets back.

Kinkaid, Keith A-
Has done everything you can ask of a backup.

Schneider, Cory C+
Obviously has been a rough year, but it's not entirely on his shoulders, nor has he been consistently awful all year long. He has still had stretches of great play, just not to the level we had grown used to. Knows he needs to be better, but his team needs to improve more as well. I have more comfort in Cory rebounding than the overall defense.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Michael Cammalleri: C
Vernon Fiddler: D
Taylor Hall: B+
Adam Henrique: C
Jacob Josefson: D
Sergey Kalinin: C
Nick Lappin: C+
Kyle Palmieri: C
PA Parenteau: C+
Miles Wood: B
Pavel Zacha: C
Travis Zajac: B+

Defenseman:
Yohann Auvitu: C
Andy Greene: C+
Ben Lovejoy: D
Jon Merrill: B-
John Moore: D-
Kyle Quincey: D
Steven Santini: A
Damon Severson: B-

Keith Kinkaid: B-
Cory Schneider: D

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't feel comfortable grading rookies who are still getting there feet wet.

I don't feel comfortable assessing guys who've played less than 300 minutes or limited minutes.

So...

The Good - Travis Zajac has been our best forward - For no cost at all PA Parenteau has been a nice addition - Keith Kinkaid has been a pleasant surprise this season

The Bad - Schnieder has been the most disappointing player on the team, followed closely by Palmieri. Fiddler is a complete waste of space that could been filled by a myriad of people. Moore is just bad and that has nothing to do with this season, he is just not good.

The Disappointing: I expected a lot more from Hall. He sleep walks through a lot of shifts lately. And Henrique similarly seems to show no motivation at all. Both of those players haven't been bad per se, they just seem to missing that extra gear this season.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Vernon Fiddler: C
Taylor Hall: B-
Jacob Josefson: D
Sergey Kalinin: D
Nick Lappin: B-
Kyle Palmieri: D
PA Parenteau: C
Travis Zajac: B

Defenseman:
Yohann Auvitu: C+
Andy Greene: C-
Ben Lovejoy: D-
Kyle Quincey: D-
Steven Santini: B+
Damon Severson: B

Keith Kinkaid: B
Cory Schneider: D

Basically a D and under is what I consider to be completely unacceptable performance.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Pathetic.

Cangy: A+++++++++++++

------------------
All grades are relative:

Bennett - C: I'm unimpressed and he's a filler but he's also not BAD so like, whatever.
Cammy - C: It is streaky the Cammy is. He's soft, but when he's on, he scores goals.
Fiddler- B-: He is what he is and that is a perfect 4th line center and a wiseass and I love that.
Gazdic - C: He really shouldn't be in the NHL but he's not awful.
Hall- B+: Tries to do too much, but he puts up points.
Henrique - B: He's fine.
Josefson - C: He's not a scorer, but not a liability, and good at shootouts.
Kalinin - D+: Not his best year.
Lappin - C-: Should go back to Albany and goal on scrubs.
Palmieri- C-: Too streaky.
Parenteau - B-: He scores a lot but he's also pointless otherwise.
DSP- C: 4th line big dude.
Wood- B+: Fast and crazy but hands of stone. He needs to season but he's a cool dude. He'd get an A- if he didn't cut his beautiful hair.
Zacha- B-: Shoot the puck idiot.
Zajac- A: Having a wonderful season, this little dork of ours is.

Auvitu- C+: Flashes of brilliance, but bad at defense and not putting up points. In a year or so he'll be great.
Greene- B: Solid defensively, but nothing to speak of offensively.
Lovejoy- B-: He's asked to do too much.
Merrill- B+: He's turning it on and tbh I'm very excited for the rest of his season. Also his hair is very good.
Moore- B-: Look he sucks at defense but he's an offensive guy on a team that can't score so he's fine.
Quincey- C: Bottom pairing gonna bottom pair.
Santini- A+++++: Him good boy I LOVE him
Severson- B: Encouraging signs of progress.

Schnieder- B+: He had a rough streak and that's bad but every goaltender has a bad few months and he's great.
Kinkaid- B+: I like calling him Kinky.

Cangy- A+++++++: A true believer, love him.
Dano- A+++++++: A true believer, love him.
Deb - A++++++++: Deb rules and is pretty and you all are virtiolically mean to her.
Johnny Mac - A++++++++: What a goof

Andrew Gross - A: Good beard, talks about Rush a lot, goofy guy. I got sick of TG talking about Seinfeld, the most overrated show ever.
Chris Ryan, AKA Yung Chere - A: More interesting than Chere.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Agree with most of the grades CFZ had above

Does almost everything but score. Advances puck and passes competently and rarely a liability like some of our guys. Soft in tough areas but I'd rather he doesn't get hurt given his history. If he'd just ****ing pot one once in a while I'd easily give him a B.

I like Mike's game when it's on but he's just totally boneheaded most of the time this year. Tons of turnovers due to **** poor decisions, unacceptable for a vet of his caliber. I can accept he's soft on the puck in dirty areas given his concussion history but it's become a nagging liability for an already anemic offense. Small children could knock him off the puck.

Vernon Fiddler: C
Added PK and FO capacity and seems to hustle out there but like most of our guys cooled off a lot since the start. Like most of our bottom 6 he's sorely lacking points too. Granted Dallas obviously had more depth throughout the lineup when he was there but yeah...

Taylor Hall: B-
Underachieving 'A' player. Great to start the season but visibly not up to snuff since the injury and looks less interested given the state of team lately. I give him lots of credit for getting back as early as he did but maybe it was just a tad too early. The minus is for losing some of his competitive edge lately but maybe that's the injury, not sure.

When he decides to play he can be great but much of the time he's just another guy. Has his usual invisible man impression going on, decides when he wants to play. Capitalizes on sudden opportunities but otherwise does little to produce routine opportunities. Lazy...

Nick Lappin: C-
Like lots of these guys, started out great and cooled off big time. I've felt indifferent about him in the lineup for a while now but at times makes a case for himself as a potential mainstay in the bottom 6.

Kyle Palmieri: D
Dropped off a cliff compared to last year, and not just on his bread and butter PP goals (granted this is the worst PP in history), but also in terms of fundamentals too. Can't hit the net, can't handle a pass, not playing with any snarl or urgency like last year and just seems like he can't get it together but for one shift here and there.

PA Parenteau: B-
Getting something that starts with a B only because he's had some key goals this season, whether to tie things up or get us going. He'd probably get a lower grade if not for being surrounded by so many guys that are racing to the bottom of the grade list. Not bad at all for a last minute pickup but occasionally absent-minded...

Raw as hell but a pleasant surprise, which is hard to come by this year. Unquestionable balls to the wall effort which I admire. Doesn't always produce but the sheer effort level each shift sets him well above some of our alleged leadership this season.

I'd love to grade him higher but he's playing to 2/3 capacity. Capable of playing with an edge as a physical forechecker that throws his weight around to great effect but seems to hold back far too much for fear of being in the doghouse. Needs to utilize his heavy shot a LOT more too. Two areas where he really needs to step it up...faceoffs and puck battles along the boards. In terms of skill set and backchecking efforts at times though he's shown flashes of potential.

Travis Zajac: A
Yeah he's on one of his usual droughts but I'm giving Trav an A for otherwise being the most consistently impactful member of the team this season. Even when he's not scoring you can usually count multiple times per game that he's bailing out our shoddy defense, even below our goal line. He's playing with more urgency this year as well, a little faster and more physical.

**With the exception of Santini and sometimes Greene or Quincey, our entire defense lacks physicality to a degree that is unacceptable. Their identity is that of a cream puff. On the other hand we've also got a couple guys taking on more minutes than they're equipped to handle competently. I'd be fine if half of this defense turned over in the offseason if possible**

Yohann Auvitu: C
Pleasant surprise and a good start but could be a 'B' player given defensive refinement. Usually plays safe, certainly can move the puck and activate effectively on offense when appropriate. Definitely could use a good dose of snarl when needed, has almost none whatsoever.

Andy Greene: B-
Aside from Santini's shining (but small) sample size lately, he's still our most competent defenseman. Still can't hit the damn net but that's nothing new. Some regression apparent, aging, and unfortunately hurt right now...but otherwise very durable. Had quite a rough start to the season.

Ben Lovejoy: C
Never a fan of this signing, ranges from adequate to useless. I just can't figure out what we're getting from one shift to the next. For obvious reasons it was far easier for him to look better in Pitt given their collective speed and talent. Here he just looks in over his head. No doubt more minutes than he's used to.

Absolutely never been a fan of Merrill and his history of backbreaking errors. That said, he's had his most consistently good run in recent days. It's show me or ship out this year so we'll see. Still needs to be more physical but he's fulfilling his role better than most of this club right now, and coming from me Re: Merrill that is high praise.

Any puck on the boards is lost to the opposition immediately. If he can't poke check or redirect the puck in open ice forget about it. Didn't seem bad to start the season...

Kyle Quincey: D
Stopgap lug, not much to say. At least he brings the hits here and there which stands out amid this Charmin-soft group of defenseman. Otherwise does nothing great, not too bright out there.

Steven Santini: B+
This kid has his head on straight, brings precisely what our defense lacks. Small sample size so far but love what I've seen. Plays a simple solid game and routinely brings the hits, love that. Wear em down!

Damon Severson: C
Earlier this season easily a 'B' but he's having some problems. Confidence progressively shaken as the team hit the skids, started showing some of the boneheaded stuff from last year. I'll cut him some slack for being forced into a role above his pay grade this year. Needs to be much more physical and stronger on his skates, gets manhandled too easily.

Cory Schneider: C-
In part not his fault with all the defensive breakdown this year. He's definitely not himself though and the stats bear that out. This was not a December to remember...

Keith Kinkaid: B
Athletic and a confident puck handler so long as you don't expect him to effectively block shots as consistently as Cory normally would. Different style so he flails a bit more, but that's where the athleticism helps. Definitely a positive step forward from last year. Was godly in the 12/29 Caps game...next one not so much.

Not even bothering to grade JJ, DSP, Kalinin, Gazdic, or Helgeson...weary of seeing them in the lineup for any length of time.

Giving the coaching staff and Hynes a solid 'D' for 1) not adjusting the game to the players when they obviously fail to execute with any flow time and time again, 2) mind numbing ****ing roster decisions at times along with incessant line juggling, 3) collapsed D around net that does little more than screen our own goalie, and 4) the worst power play EVER. Players don't seem to be buying into whatever he's got them doing, almost like hey if we **** this up BAD enough repeatedly we'll get to try something else, right? The power play is a perfect example of this.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Cangy- A+++++++: A true believer, love him.
Dano- A+++++++: A true believer, love him.
Deb - A++++++++: Deb rules and is pretty and you all are virtiolically mean to her.
Johnny Mac - A++++++++: What a goof

giphy.gif

Will not justify the Seinfeld comment with a response, though.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
giphy.gif

Will not justify the Seinfeld comment with a response, though.

I like rating our announcers high because of the endless *****ing about them in the GDTs. It annoys me to no end. I will always stan for Steve, Kenny, Deb (especially Deb, she gets the worst of it and its terrible to read), and Mac.

Seinfeld is The Beatles of TV: harbinger of a genre for sure, but overhyped as a result. Think of if "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" wasn't funny, and you'd have Seinfeld.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I totally get how they get on your nerves, but if you guys who lived outside the market had to deal with Center Ice/live streams and heard what some of these clowns sound like you'd realize how lucky we are to have the crew that we do.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I totally get how they get on your nerves, but if you guys who lived outside the market had to deal with Center Ice/live streams and heard what some of these clowns sound like you'd realize how lucky we are to have the crew that we do.

I disagree....I think our crew absolutely sucks for that very reason.

They miss far too much of what's going on during the game. They aren't the worst, but I put them bottom half. I actually choose to listen to the non Devs feed a lot of the nights (also because I like hearing about our team from a different perspective).

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think the minimum you have to expect from an announcing crew is knowing what the hell is happening on the ice in front of them. The amount of times Steve doesn't recognize a penalty or a stoppage, or miscalls a player on the team he covers EVERY day, will never cease to surprise/enrage me. Dano is just oblivious to everything, while trying to spit out words that sound like they've been filtered through fifty craisins in his mouth. And Johnny Mac's between the boards "analysis" could be performed by Kim Jong-Il's press secretary for all it's worth because they're always just a cascade of useless excuses. All of that is magnified being that we're all seeing a terrible team do terrible things.

Deb is just Deb.

I get why the incessant harping on it would be annoying, but it's all justified for me.

***NOT COMMENTING ON CALLING SEINFELD UNFUNNY***

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I like rating our announcers high because of the endless *****ing about them in the GDTs. It annoys me to no end. I will always stan for Steve, Kenny, Deb (especially Deb, she gets the worst of it and its terrible to read), and Mac.

I wholeheartedly agree, honestly. We could certainly do worse when you hear some of the other commentary teams around the league.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'll listen to some other casts occasionally unless the homerism is too much to take... No pens or rags for example... no panthers either as Potvin is insufferable. For all the hate I hold for Philly I can listen to Jackson and crew anytime. Although I will say Clement got real pissy about something a couple weeks ago and wouldn't let it go and made a fool of himself harping on it.

Mostly I just need a break from Dano's hollering sometimes...

If I could have one thing stepped up about our broadcast team it would be showing more insight or analysis into what's going on. Mac will break script occasionally and toss out valid observations or criticism before they start the next period but otherwise the intermissions are packed with so much superficial fluff that they never really analyze the game.

Be nice if someone that pays attention to the Xs and Os would at least feed them better questions to ask or something of substance. Especially Deb because she tosses out some real stinkers for player questions. I don't mean anything difficult to grill the team or staff but rather something remotely insightful about the sport.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Seinfeld is The Beatles of TV: harbinger of a genre for sure, but overhyped as a result. Think of if "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" wasn't funny, and you'd have Seinfeld.

Whoaaa... even made it worse by going after the Beatles. Hmm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad