Middle Career guys and chances for the HHOF

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I doubt Stamkos is going to fall off of this pace.

Marty is great, and if he became a world beater at a younger age he'd be a lock, but he doesn't have enough great seasons piled on yet to be a lock for the hall. Like Tim Thomas in that regard.

To be fair, Stamkos could have his career ruined by a bad hit in a week from now or next year or what else.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Marty is great, and if he became a world beater at a younger age he'd be a lock, but he doesn't have enough great seasons piled on yet to be a lock for the hall. Like Tim Thomas in that regard.

Yea, and people thought Lindros wouldnt fall of his pace either.

All I'm saying is St louis HAS an mvp. Not a "he will win one someday" he has one. Same with the stanley and world cups, and the art ross, and he has scored 80 pts in his last 4 season and has 75 this season already so 5 consecutive 80 pt seasons and at 35 hes still one of the best in the game. I just feel like this guy has had enough good seasons and has been considered one of the best in the game for the past 6 or 7 years and was at one point the best in the world when he won the scoring title, hart, stanley cup, and world cup all in less than a year. Hes also in the race right now for the scoring title and has an outside chance at mvp. If hes not a lock already another art ross certainly would make him one

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A very good list overall. I agree with most of your selections. I'd move a few around, but overall, you're spot on.

May I ask why you have Marc-Andre Fleury on the list? When I look at his resume, nothing really screams HHOF goalie at me. Solid goalie, sure, HHOF, no.

Two trips to the Cup final, winning once. Looking to be a Vezina finalist this year and a good career path in the future. Is piling up a lot of career wins. By the end of his career he is likely to have a good Vezina voting record and maybe more Cups.

He can win a couple of tight games and then allow 6 goals and sit on the bench though so he needs to work on his consistency better. But when's he on his game, he's very good.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

It's getting harder and harder to build a case against St. Louis. A few years ago you'd think he'd need a great lawyer to get him in. Now you'll need a great lawyer to defend AGAINST his induction.

He already has:
1 1st team all-star
2 2nd team all-stars
One Cup and the 2nd most important key to that win
Art Ross
Hart
World Cup
steadily improving career points total
Led the NHL in assists in 2004
Top scoring finishes are: 1, 5, 6
Highly revered player in the NHL landscape since 2003

This doesn't include what he's doing this year. He could win the Art Ross again. Or the Hart. Tampa looks to make a good run in the playoffs. He'll get another 1st team all-star at RW. He's a late bloomer who is aging very, very well........still. He'll get in.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Definitely:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Teemu Selanne
Chris Pronger
Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Jarome Iginla
Joe Thornton
Martin Brodeur
Mike Modano

Probable: (counting on a linear career path)
Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavel Datsyuk
Zdeno Chara
Eric Staal
Steven Stamkos
Henrik Lundqvist
Ryan Getzlaf
Zach Parise

Possible: (would need to improve their resume)
Martin St. Louis
Marian Hossa
Daniel Alfredsson
Dany Heatley
Henrik Zetterberg
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Evgeni Malkin
Rick Nash
Roberto Luongo
Mike Richards
Marc-Andre Fleury

I'd move Zetterberg up, Parise and Getzlaf down. And move St.Louis to Definitely.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
It's getting harder and harder to build a case against St. Louis. A few years ago you'd think he'd need a great lawyer to get him in. Now you'll need a great lawyer to defend AGAINST his induction.

He already has:
1 1st team all-star
2 2nd team all-stars
One Cup and the 2nd most important key to that win
Art Ross
Hart
World Cup
steadily improving career points total
Led the NHL in assists in 2004
Top scoring finishes are: 1, 5, 6
Highly revered player in the NHL landscape since 2003

This doesn't include what he's doing this year. He could win the Art Ross again. Or the Hart. Tampa looks to make a good run in the playoffs. He'll get another 1st team all-star at RW. He's a late bloomer who is aging very, very well........still. He'll get in.

You can say that again up until recently (Lundin being injured) he had the most TOI of any players on the Lightning, but is now 8 seconds a game behind Hedman.

Top 10 in Avg TOI/G in forwards in the entire NHL. Aged 35 he still looks to have a hell of a lot in the tank.

As a Tampa fan I hope he gets in he deserves it, as he has a huge impact on this team and am I right in thinking that plays a big part of getting in?

Because I wouldnt like to see how would the team deal without him, we wouldnt be in a playoff position without him thats for sure. So hopefully his retirement is a LONG way off!!

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Dan Boyle has played on some crappy teams? Are you referring to his early days in Florida, which are completely irreleant? In his 5 full seasons with Tampa Bay, he was a part of 2 Division Champions, was in the playoffs 4 times, and won a Stanley Cup. Boyle is now in his third season with the Sharks. The Sharks averaged 115 points, 52 wins, and were the #1 seed in the West in both of his first two seasons. Nothing too different about this year, either. He is easily the second-most important player on the team behind Joe Thornton, and honestly, if you ask your average Sharks fan, they will tell you that there is a better chance of winning without Thornton than without Boyle. He plays incredibly heavy minutes against the top forwards of opposing teams, and he has shown an ability to frustrate certain star forwards with his play. Alex Ovechkin comes to mind. Boyle was a key defenseman on a Stanley Cup champion and had 14 points in 15 playoff games for the Sharks' last year. If you watched the Olympics, you know what he brings to the table in big games.

Boyle is a far, far superior defenseman than either Tomas Kaberle or Bryan McCabe. Is he a Hall of Famer? No, of course not. Barring an incredible close to his career, of course. But to illustrate how much better he is than Kaberle and McCabe, let's just say that if they are probables, Boyle is a lock. As it happens, neither of those claims are true. But with two Second Team All-Star berths, three top six Norris finishes in the past 4 years, and playing 26 minutes a night for one of the best teams in the league, Boyle has long passed the Kaberle/McCabe threshold. Those two defenseman have combined for a grand total of one top ten finish in Norris voting, 0 postseason All-Star teams, minute playoff success, and are far less effective defensemen at ES than they are on the PP.

Fully agree with this post here.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Definitely:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Teemu Selanne
Chris Pronger
Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Jarome Iginla
Joe Thornton
Martin Brodeur
Mike Modano

Probable: (counting on a linear career path)
Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavel Datsyuk
Zdeno Chara
Eric Staal
Steven Stamkos
Henrik Lundqvist
Ryan Getzlaf
Zach Parise

Possible: (would need to improve their resume)
Martin St. Louis
Marian Hossa
Daniel Alfredsson
Dany Heatley
Henrik Zetterberg
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Evgeni Malkin
Rick Nash
Roberto Luongo
Mike Richards
Marc-Andre Fleury

Agree with the 1st 2 groups but the last group has at least half that are well on their way into the Hall IMO.

MSL and Zetterberg are pretty much locks with a couple more seasons and assuming they age well (As MSL is already doing).

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
It seems as if everyone has forgotten about Brad Richards down in Dallas. Over the last two seasons, he's back to playing at the elite level that had him on the future HOF radar right after the lockout. 91 points and 7th in NHL scoring in 2010, and was absolutely dominant this year before that concussion. I think he was 5th in scoring before he went down. With his fantastic playoff resume, Richards doesn't need to have an overwhelming regular season career to get in. With a regular season PPG of .93 despite splitting his career between the pre and post lockout eras, and four top-5 assist seasons, he's in a solid position. You won't find too many current pre-lockout players that have a 1.00 playoff PPG and a Conn Smythe. His 2008 playoffs is under-rated, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->