Prospect Info: Mid-To-Late Draftees 2018 (Hofer, McGing, Laferriere, Tucker)

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Colts fan here who's seen Tucker play in pretty much every OHL game he's played in. Great pick. Throwback stay at home defenseman that has a nasty side. Loves to throw huge hits any chance he can. Can also move the puck better than you would expect and has a good shot. Has some untapped offensive potential you'll likely see more of this year.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Any of those guys have a shot at San Antonio or are they still a couple years away from really getting a good evaluation as they grow up?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
**** it.

McGing played with Foley and Reinke in Cedar Rapids a few years back, and is now being coached by Andy Murray in Western Michigan. He says McGing reminds him of Andy McDonald. I have my doubts. Overall, I hate this pick today. There were far too many better options on the board.

Hofer is a good goalie, glad we got him, although I probably would have waited to take him. He was/is locked behind Skinner in Swift Current, but had good stats in that role at least. Decent pick, and we needed to grab a goalie this year.

Matthias Laferrière seems like a guy with upside, and at least has a right shot. Listed as a Center but apparently plays mostly on the wing. Not at all who I would have taken in that position, but then again, we’ve done alright with finding sleepers from the Q in the past. He was a top-10 pick in his bantam draft, so there’s that.

LOVE the Tyler Tucker pick. Blues fans will love him too, he’s a total **** disturber. But he’s more than that too, good first pass and can carry the puck too. Has a good shot from the point. Think a slightly smaller Joel Edmundson. He is all about the physical game, but has the skills to do more than just hit people. Big fan, this is a steal if any of our picks are.

I hereby dub this the Keith Tkachuk draft. He spent the year looking at college players, and that’s clearly who we’re targeting. I have a feeling this won’t be a bright spot on Bill Armstrong’s draft record. We’re going for a lot more “off the board” and risk/reward picks, and that’s what we’ll probably keep seeing as our farm system continues to grow. I don’t love that strategy, but here we are. Let’s hope Bill is right

Morty said that.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I wonder if they felt that our prospect pool is such that they can use this year to go after those high risk/reward players? Next year BA will take back over the picks and we'll start stocking up quality again I suppose. I just walked away from this weekend basically scratching my head.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Colts fan here who's seen Tucker play in pretty much every OHL game he's played in. Great pick. Throwback stay at home defenseman that has a nasty side. Loves to throw huge hits any chance he can. Can also move the puck better than you would expect and has a good shot. Has some untapped offensive potential you'll likely see more of this year.

This Tucker kid is very intriguing as a 7th round pick

Tyler is a big, physical stay-at-home defender that loves to look for the big hit. He is a good skater with good mobility and stride, which allows him to take away time and space. Tyler makes a solid outlet pass and keeps his game simple for the most part. Tyler will be a player that coaches love to have on their team because of his high compete level and solid defensive play.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Tyler is a big, physical stay-at-home defender that loves to look for the big hit. He is a good skater with good mobility and stride, which allows him to take away time and space. Tyler makes a solid outlet pass and keeps his game simple for the most part. Tyler will be a player that coaches love to have on their team because of his high compete level and solid defensive play.
Loving this pick!

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
McGing played with Foley and Reinke in Cedar Rapids a few years back, and is now being coached by Andy Murray in Western Michigan. He says McGing reminds him of Andy McDonald. I have my doubts. Overall, I hate this pick today. There were far too many better options on the board.
Pretty strong opinion for a 5th rounder, no? Should be noted Bill Armstrong is a Western Michigan alum, guess we know who had the call on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Pretty strong opinion for a 5th rounder, no? Should be noted Bill Armstrong is a Western Michigan alum, guess we know who had the call on that one.

Mattias Samuelsson is going to Western Michigan next season too, I would have much rather have had him than Perunovich. Idk what’s going on.

Also it’s Andy Murray... who cares what he thinks?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I haven’t found anything that contradicts what has been said here after the first 2 picks they went off the board with everything....I don’t get it

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Who was available in the 4th-7th that would have been preferred? I like the Tucker pick.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Who was available in the 4th-7th that would have been preferred? I like the Tucker pick.
In the 4th, I liked Philipp Kurashev who went at 120. Would have much preferred him over taking Hofer. Of course the Hawks ended up taking Kurashev.

In the 5th, Simon Johansson would have been nice. I don't know much about McGing so can't really speak much on this pick.

I don't mind our 6th round pick in Laferriere. Not convinced he has an NHL future but he's got some decent tools. Nobody taken after him really jumps out to me.

In the 7th, Tucker wasn't a bad pick but I wouldn't have minded going for a hail mary in Riley Hughes.

I think not having a 3rd really hurt us. There were several prospects I liked that were on the board at 76 in McLaughlin, Khovanov, Shafigullin, Gruden, and Hutsko. All would have been fine picks IMO.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

I know a few of his relatives as he's from my hometown, which has never produced an NHLer(pop 2000). I'll be rooting pretty hard for Tyler and certainly following his development in the Blues organization. Hope he makes it to the NHL. :thumbu:

Reactions: Blueston

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
It's cool that Laferriere played for Lac St. Louis Lions Hockey Lac-St-Louis
LMAO at that logo.
microsite_banner_fr.png

Bizarro, I love you

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The Necromancer known as Ranksu strikes again. If he isn't stopped now he'll raise an entire Legion of dead threads and overwhelm all that is good and recent!

Reactions: MissouriMook

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Ohhh the days when I had time to be much more invested in draft analysis / keyboard scouting. One day I’ll break out the old spreadsheets and get back to that. Maybe. Hopefully.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad