Mid-Summer List; What teams will make a run this season?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
It's only the middle of July but I'm wondering what the fans are feeling about their teams chances of "going for it" this season.
As an OS Attack fan, I believe we have a pretty solid roster with a nice mix of veteran and youthful talent up front and a solid group of defencemen on the back end. My reservations for a "let's go for it" season are tempered again with our goaltending situation and the fact that DD and Co. have recently shown us that they are never really going to commit to go "all in".
A few teams in the Western Conference that look poised to have a nice season are; Kitchener, Saginaw, London.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Petes will - the roster is 2000 heavy (Merkley, Chisholm, Hunter Jones, Kirk, SDA, Hinz, Little,Grondin, JPJ, Maier, McNamara etc.) and will only have one 2001 born player on it (Nick Robertson), plus GM Oke's contract is up after the year, it's this year or bust, then rebuild around the 03s with the three picks they just made in the top 22 (McTavish/Avon/Guryev).

Reactions: Bra Wavers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Kitchener Rangers with a strong OA core (Garreffa, Meireles, Yantsis), one of the top 00s in Riley Damiani, potentially Arizona Coyotes draft pick Axel Bergkvist. Michael Vukojevic anchoring the back, just brought in a goalie in Jacob Ingham. very strong 02 class featuring Reid Valade, Isaac Langdon, Donovan Sebrango, Declan McDonnell and seemingly Ville Ottavainen. good depth pieces with Justin MacPherson, Ryan Stepien, Mike Petizian. with a lot of teams coming off all-in seasons I’d watch for them to make a splash

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There was some talk on the Rangers board about them NOT going for it this year and there were some fairly compelling arguments for that. I agree though, I see London as all-in with Kitchener and Saginaw being a close second tier that could go either way depending on who reports and returns. I like Kitchener's chances if they Guelph-up this season or even go half that drastic. Saginaw too if they get lucky on returnees. After those 3 I see Flint, Owen Sound, Soo with possibly Sarnia and Windsor having the ability to get into the 4-5 mix if things go right for them. Guelph has to sell and I just don't see the talent or draft picks in the Otter's cupboard to do anything other than sell this year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There was some talk on the Rangers board about them NOT going for it this year and there were some fairly compelling arguments for that. I agree though, I see London as all-in with Kitchener and Saginaw being a close second tier that could go either way depending on who reports and returns. I like Kitchener's chances if they Guelph-up this season or even go half that drastic. Saginaw too if they get lucky on returnees. After those 3 I see Flint, Owen Sound, Soo with possibly Sarnia and Windsor having the ability to get into the 4-5 mix if things go right for them. Guelph has to sell and I just don't see the talent or draft picks in the Otter's cupboard to do anything other than sell this year.
Erie is in the same exact boat as Windsor, Flint, Sarnia, and probably OS. They simply are not going to be big or even relevant buyers. Guelph the only clear cut, major seller

Erie has the chance to return the majority of their pieces for 2020-21. So no, they are not going to be “sellers” other than dumping off a view scrap pieces/roster adjustment. Their plan is to ride their youth .. which btw does have talent in it

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Owen Sound is in an interesting position.

With the returning players plus/minus a tweak here or there they could be in the mix for big things. Although it all depends upon how they take off out of the starting gate. If they get a good footing in the early months OS could be in for a big play after the deadline Jan 10th.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ottawa will not go for it but with the lineup should be a contender. We have the choice this year of going for it or of building for the future and trying to host the cup. I see that as the goal of this team. It will also depend on who we get back and what the new young players like Tolnai do.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Oshawa could be one of the top teams if they go for it next year, but I don't think they do because they'll try to host the Memorial Cup the following year

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sarnia will depend on how they handle their OA situation. If the choose to keep the best 3 (McGregor, Josling and Hatcher) and stay healthy (Rees) then I could see them fishing 4th-5th spot for sure.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw has a solid group of forwards returning even if Turcotte and Coskey don't show. The D has Millman-Webb
Smith,-Solovyov
Punnett- Lemieux if Wilde or Warren show will definitely help. Or they have to trade for a top 2 D.

Lennox-Prosvetov lvan shows up trade for a top D
Get a couple of the guys to sign could be a very good team.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Oshawa could be one of the top teams if they go for it next year, but I don't think they do because they'll try to host the Memorial Cup the following year
Without making trades, I don’t think Oshawa’s depth is close to good enough to make a deep, legitimate run. Currently their bottom 6 features a well below average OA, 2 true rookies, then 3 other players in their 2nd season with a combined 9 points in 68 games.
I don’t doubt Oshawa’s ability to make moves if need be or their ability to win necessary games in a weaker conference, but unless they make clear moves to buy then I don’t see it. And by going all in for 2020, they are limiting their 2021 roster which already will have holes when at least 4/5 top players depart after this year

Even in terms of their potential Mem Cup run for 2021, it is not close to a strong enough projected roster.

If they do what they did last year and buy/sell to make a better run this year while simultaneously improving their team for 2021.. then sure. But I don’t see it right now.

PBO, Ottawa, Sudbury are in the best positions in the east imo when you consider team and assets. The west should be London, Saginaw, Kitchener

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Without making trades, I don’t think Oshawa’s depth is close to good enough to make a deep, legitimate run. Currently their bottom 6 features a well below average OA, 2 true rookies, then 3 other players in their 2nd season with a combined 9 points in 68 games.
I don’t doubt Oshawa’s ability to make moves if need be or their ability to win necessary games in a weaker conference, but unless they make clear moves to buy then I don’t see it. And by going all in for 2020, they are limiting their 2021 roster which already will have holes when at least 4/5 top players depart after this year

Even in terms of their potential Mem Cup run for 2021, it is not close to a strong enough projected roster.

If they do what they did last year and buy/sell to make a better run this year while simultaneously improving their team for 2021.. then sure. But I don’t see it right now.

PBO, Ottawa, Sudbury are in the best positions in the east imo when you consider team and assets. The west should be London, Saginaw, Kitchener

"Without making trades" ends any argument you could've made. No team is good enough to win in the OHL without making trades. The top teams usually add 3-5 world class players and then 2-3 more high end level juniors players. The Gens have more 2nd/3rd round draft picks than any other Eastern Conference team, 2 World Junior level players in McShane/Noel, an elite OA in Neumann and a D-core that is already one of the top in the league with all returning D-men. Now add in the fact the Gens are loaded with picks, they easily could become one of the best teams next year. Go look at the Gens roster going into the 2015 season (the year they won the Memorial Cup). I'll do it for you,
F:
Latour-Cassels-Dal Colle
Manchurek-Sterk-Smith
Wallace-Harding-Busch
Pu-McDade-Huether

D:
Brown(OA)-Petschenig
Carlisle(OA)-Vande Somple
Desrocher-Robertson

G:
Appleby (just went 11-7 and 0-1 in the playoffs)
?

That lineup is eerily similar to the current one. 5 returning D-men who are all very solid in their own end with Vande Sompel/Moore both being potential elite PP QBs. 2 World Junior level players (Cassels/Dal Colle and Noel/McShane). Very little veteran depth (a 2nd line of Manchurek/Sterk/Smith probably doesn't even make the playoffs in most predictions). And a goalie who many thought going into the year wasn't OHL ready.

But suddenly when you add Tobias Lindberg, Matt Mistele, Michael McCarron, Dakota Mermis, Brent Pedersen, Anthony Cirelli and Jeremy Brodeur, you win the Memorial Cup

The Gens have the picks to go out and add that many high quality players again. But like I said, I don't think they will because it makes a lot more sense to get a free birth if you think you have a chance to win the hosting bid. And the Gens don't lose any 2nds/3rds after next year, so a team who already has more 2nds/3rds than anyone else in the East, would keep every single one of them going into the 2021 season, which is obviously by design

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
"Without making trades" ends any argument you could've made. No team is good enough to win in the OHL without making trades. The top teams usually add 3-5 world class players and then 2-3 more high end level juniors players. The Gens have more 2nd/3rd round draft picks than any other Eastern Conference team, 2 World Junior level players in McShane/Noel, an elite OA in Neumann and a D-core that is already one of the top in the league with all returning D-men. Now add in the fact the Gens are loaded with picks, they easily could become one of the best teams next year. Go look at the Gens roster going into the 2015 season (the year they won the Memorial Cup). I'll do it for you,
F:
Latour-Cassels-Dal Colle
Manchurek-Sterk-Smith
Wallace-Harding-Busch
Pu-McDade-Huether

D:
Brown(OA)-Petschenig
Desrocher-Robertson

G:
?

That lineup is eerily similar to the current one. 5 returning D-men who are all very solid in their own end with Vande Sompel/Moore both being potential elite PP QBs. 2 World Junior level players (Cassels/Dal Colle and Noel/McShane). Very little veteran depth (a 2nd line of Manchurek/Sterk/Smith probably doesn't even make the playoffs in most predictions). And a goalie who many thought going into the year wasn't OHL ready.

But suddenly when you add Tobias Lindberg, Matt Mistele, Michael McCarron, Dakota Mermis, Brent Pedersen, Anthony Cirelli and Jeremy Brodeur, you win the Memorial Cup

The Gens have the picks to go out and add that many high quality players again. But like I said, I don't think they will because it makes a lot more sense to get a free birth if you think you have a chance to win the hosting bid. And the Gens don't lose any 2nds/3rds after next year, so a team who already has more 2nds/3rds than anyone else in the East, would keep every single one of them going into the 2021 season, which is obviously by design

Lindberg was already added through the import like Suni. They didn’t trade for him..
Cirelli was a FA find and Brodeur a backup goalie.. . So they added 4 guys through trades?? That’s not that much imo and is pretty much the standard amount (Guelph being an extreme outlier last year).

My point is they need to make a bunch of trades (add 4-6 guys) just to compete this year as a true title team. That in turn impacts 2021. They can’t do both. And tbh not sure they can even do one year and be a powerhouse team in that given year. I don’t see the depth at all on the roster. Their bottom 6 as currently stacked up is bottom tier in the league. And their top 6 is still going to rely on an import rookie and a second year player. It’s a good top 6 but it’s not as good as some other teams can throw out and that’s before they too make trades ..

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Lindberg was already added through the import like Suni. They didn’t trade for him..
Cirelli was a FA find and Brodeur a backup goalie.. . So they added 4 guys through trades?? That’s not that much imo and is pretty much the standard amount (Guelph being an extreme outlier last year).

My point is they need to make a bunch of trades (add 4-6 guys) just to compete this year as a true title team. That in turn impacts 2021. They can’t do both. And tbh not sure they can even do one year and be a powerhouse team in that given year. I don’t see the depth at all on the roster. Their bottom 6 as currently stacked up is bottom tier in the league. And their top 6 is still going to rely on an import rookie and a second year player. It’s a good top 6 but it’s not as good as some other teams can throw out and that’s before they too make trades ..

First of all, there's no team who can not add and still compete for a title next year. Nobody is that good. And I don't think I'd call Guelph "an extreme outlier", Kingston literally did the exact same thing the year prior. That's becoming the norm that one team spends like crazy and makes a non-contending year into a championship or bust year

Secondly though, "That in turn impacts 2021. They can't do both". You're literally agreeing with me lol. Go look at the post you first responded to. I said if the Gens wanted to, they could be elite next year, but I don't think they'll want to because it makes more sense to go for it in 2021 with the host bid. So you made a huge post disagreeing with me, just to agree with me a post later...

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
F:
Latour-Cassels-Dal Colle
Manchurek-Sterk-Smith
Wallace-Harding-Busch
Pu-McDade-Huether

D:
Brown(OA)-Petschenig
Desrocher-Robertson

G:
?

All good points and I agree that the norm these days ( sadly as as I do miss the days of building from witin and adding 1/2 pieces as it precluded to a degree this boom/bust cycle everybody except London has been in. But that's a discussion for another day). However I would like to point out that Ottawa with the 2 seconds for Maggio, second and two thirds for Afanasyev signing coming back and second for Swankler signing coming back has more draft capital than the Gens. As for D if Hoefenmayer is back ( looks like it might happen) we return ALL our D from last year which was superior to the Gens... no offense meant as quality players on the Gens D.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On another note Generalsupdate I do agree with Ottersguy that I have difficulty seeing the Gens strategy in terms of winning it all. I had a discussion about this with OMG on the 67 thread in respect to their deadline moves. They did well imo in fleecing Niagara and to add insult to injury eliminated them. But the assets they spent for Saigeon/Mattinen made no sense to me as they got smoked by Ottawa anyway. Had they kept those assets for this year or next... I get it but they did not. The reality is if Ottawa decides to go for it at the same time as the Gens in the next two years I think Ottawa comes out on top.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
First of all, there's no team who can not add and still compete for a title next year. Nobody is that good. And I don't think I'd call Guelph "an extreme outlier", Kingston literally did the exact same thing the year prior. That's becoming the norm that one team spends like crazy and makes a non-contending year into a championship or bust year

Secondly though, "That in turn impacts 2021. They can't do both". You're literally agreeing with me lol. Go look at the post you first responded to. I said if the Gens wanted to, they could be elite next year, but I don't think they'll want to because it makes more sense to go for it in 2021 with the host bid. So you made a huge post disagreeing with me, just to agree with me a post later...

I was talking about numerous trades for teams who have won before. So yes, they (Guelph) were an outlier with the amount of trades they made

I’m not agreeing with you though because I said that they essentially aren’t a top 3/4 team in their conference this year (said they can’t compete for title) even if they make a few trades. You said they can If they make a bunch of trades and buy the heck out of players? Sure, but anyone can do that. But if they do that, then it impacts 2021 for them. Which I also don’t think they are that well set up for and would be a middle pack team even with a few moves. My point???? They have to be like Guelph and buy the helllll out of players to go for it for just 1 season if they expect to win in the next 2 years. And that’s just to compete for it with no guarantees. Otherwise, they are not good enough for it. Making 2,3,4 (which is what Oshawa in 2015 did, London did in 2016, Erie did in 2017, and what most teams have the roster to do.. tweak through trades not build) trades will not be enough for their current 2020 or 2021 roster which imo are not close to strong...

You can’t simply say Oshawa is in a good spot to compete this year and then when I say “not unless they make a bunch of trades” think that it means the same thing if they totally rehaul their roster. Lol those things are totally different
Sure, in 4 months if they add 7 players they will be good enough. But that would be a TOTALLY DIFFERENT team lol. Currently I see London and Saginaw as actually having the base of a team to make a legit title run that doesn’t require buying and changing their entire roster

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was talking about numerous trades for teams who have won before. So yes, they (Guelph) were an outlier with the amount of trades they made

I’m not agreeing with you though because I said that they essentially aren’t a top 3/4 team in their conference this year (said they can’t compete for title) even if they make a few trades. You said they can If they make a bunch of trades and buy the heck out of players? Sure, but anyone can do that. But if they do that, then it impacts 2021 for them. Which I also don’t think they are that well set up for and would be a middle pack team even with a few moves. My point???? They have to be like Guelph and buy the helllll out of players to go for it for just 1 season if they expect to win in the next 2 years. And that’s just to compete for it with no guarantees. Otherwise, they are not good enough for it. Making 2,3,4 (which is what Oshawa in 2015 did, London did in 2016, Erie did in 2017, and what most teams have the roster to do.. tweak through trades not build) trades will not be enough for their current 2020 or 2021 roster which imo are not close to strong...

You can’t simply say Oshawa is in a good spot to compete this year and then when I say “not unless they make a bunch of trades” think that it means the same thing if they totally rehaul their roster. Lol those things are totally different
Sure, in 4 months if they add 7 players they will be good enough. But that would be a TOTALLY DIFFERENT team lol. Currently I see London and Saginaw as actually having the base of a team to make a legit title run that doesn’t require buying and changing their entire roster

It all comes down to commitment. How committed are the Generals to making a successful bid for the Memorial Cup? Noel, McShane and Vallati are all serious 2000 born players. What if they move them this year? What if the rumours of Perfetti in Oshawa this year are true? Even Brett Neumann should return a solid haul as an OA.

They have the makings of a potentially sick roster with the right moves and the right market conditions. They would need bodies back though.

To me, if they are serious about winning, they need to do it this year. Take advantage of Noel, McShane and Neumann. Complete the Niagara deal and bring in Perfetti. They have enough top end pieces to compete IMO.

Noel, Antropov, Neumann, McShane, Tullio and Perfetti would form two pretty spectacular lines up front. Vallati gives them a PP QB and there are enough other pieces on the back end to at least be responsible.

They still have a lot of picks. Goalies are usually relatively cheap unless their initials are MD. Even Dipietro was cheap if we are being real.

I understand what Sirius was saying regarding Saigeon and MAttinen but that added playoff experience is worth a lot. What if they lost in round one? What good would that do? They played three rounds and found their ceiling. They have a better idea where they stand and what they need to work on.

I agree Ottawa has to decide this year or next. I say next but they do have the pieces if they want to empty the cupboards and trade their first rounder to piece together a better team than last year. But they will enter the following year in shambles doing so. Well, I shouldn’t say shambles. They do have a lot of good young players to rebuild around but no draft picks to keep momentum going which means a proabable selloff and basement dwelling.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
It all comes down to commitment. How committed are the Generals to making a successful bid for the Memorial Cup? Noel, McShane and Vallati are all serious 2000 born players. What if they move them this year? What if the rumours of Perfetti in Oshawa this year are true? Even Brett Neumann should return a solid haul as an OA.

They have the makings of a potentially sick roster with the right moves and the right market conditions. They would need bodies back though.

To me, if they are serious about winning, they need to do it this year. Take advantage of Noel, McShane and Neumann. Complete the Niagara deal and bring in Perfetti. They have enough top end pieces to compete IMO.

Noel, Antropov, Neumann, McShane, Tullio and Perfetti would form two pretty spectacular lines up front. Vallati gives them a PP QB and there are enough other pieces on the back end to at least be responsible.

They still have a lot of picks. Goalies are usually relatively cheap unless their initials are MD. Even Dipietro was cheap if we are being real.

I understand what Sirius was saying regarding Saigeon and MAttinen but that added playoff experience is worth a lot. What if they lost in round one? What good would that do? They played three rounds and found their ceiling. They have a better idea where they stand and what they need to work on.

I agree Ottawa has to decide this year or next. I say next but they do have the pieces if they want to empty the cupboards and trade their first rounder to piece together a better team than last year. But they will enter the following year in shambles doing so. Well, I shouldn’t say shambles. They do have a lot of good young players to rebuild around but no draft picks to keep momentum going which means a proabable selloff and basement dwelling.

Rocco Tullio desperately wants the City of Oshawa to get in on hosting rights to the 2021 Memorial Cup. Losing the 100th Mem cup bid sucked, but Regina was just as deserving. After the big legacy pitch they made for that one, I gotta imagine they'll go for the same thing for the 2021 rights. It's not as prestigious as the 100th one, but with Ty being in his post draft season, Rocco will try to make sure his OHL career winds down with some championship hardware.

Saginaw is still a strong team this season, there's no reason for them to move Perfetti in a year where hes going to improve on the insane numbers he put up last year. If Saginaw makes any big moves again this season, the Gens can surely help them replenish their draft cupboard the following year and bring Perfetti in then. This is all hypothetical and based around Perfetti being a local kid and friends with the Tullio's. Saginaw will have tons of suitors if they end up wanting to move him.

McShane is still unsigned by Montreal so there's still a possibility of him being here for his overage season. Noel could definitely be moved and for a great return as well. Just depends on how Hunt see's this team going into the deadline

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rocco Tullio desperately wants the City of Oshawa to get in on hosting rights to the 2021 Memorial Cup. Losing the 100th Mem cup bid sucked, but Regina was just as deserving. After the big legacy pitch they made for that one, I gotta imagine they'll go for the same thing for the 2021 rights. It's not as prestigious as the 100th one, but with Ty being in his post draft season, Rocco will try to make sure his OHL career winds down with some championship hardware.

Saginaw is still a strong team this season, there's no reason for them to move Perfetti in a year where hes going to improve on the insane numbers he put up last year. If Saginaw makes any big moves again this season, the Gens can surely help them replenish their draft cupboard the following year and bring Perfetti in then. This is all hypothetical and based around Perfetti being a local kid and friends with the Tullio's. Saginaw will have tons of suitors if they end up wanting to move him.

McShane is still unsigned by Montreal so there's still a possibility of him being here for his overage season. Noel could definitely be moved and for a great return as well. Just depends on how Hunt see's this team going into the deadline

Sorry, I don’t know why I had PErfetti on the brain. I meant Tomasino,

Although, it is very likely if the Generals do position themselves for 2021, you’d have to think PErfetti would be. General at some point.

If they do position themselves for 2021, they would most certainly have to trade McShane, Vallati and Noel.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

You have advocated here and in the past that past playoff experience is beneficial for a team and worth the cost. However Ottawa came within 2 games of a championship despite being beaten in round one last year. Guelph also did not do great last year and won. I also don' t think Hamilton did much 3 years ago and won last year. So I question the premise of needing a deep playoff run to prepare to win it all. I think its more about building and peaking in a given year in junior hockey. Granted I admit I did not do an in depth analysis of the last 10-15 years (too short on time and lazy) but I am truly not convinced this holds up in junior hockey.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You have advocated here and in the past that past playoff experience is beneficial for a team and worth the cost. However Ottawa came within 2 games of a championship despite being beaten in round one last year. Guelph also did not do great last year and won. I also don' t think Hamilton did much 3 years ago and won last year. So I question the premise of needing a deep playoff run to prepare to win it all. I think its more about building and peaking in a given year in junior hockey. Granted I admit I did not do an in depth analysis of the last 10-15 years (too short on time and lazy) but I am truly not convinced this holds up in junior hockey.

It’s experience. Ottawa went out and got Maksimovich, paid more than he was worth because he had experience winning. They also added DiPietro because he had experience at the World level where he would be able to leverage those high pressure situations.

Can a team win without experience? Sure. I am sure some of these kids have played pressure hockey as Bantams etc. But, I will take a team filled with players that have played a ton of playoff games rather than a team that has played relatively little every time.

Oshawa will go into next season with he core of their roster all having excelled at a high level last year. They may have gotten bulldozed by a tough Ottawa team but that win against Niagara wil help them with confidence next year.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It’s experience. Ottawa went out and got Maksimovich, paid more than he was worth because he had experience winning. They also added DiPietro because he had experience at the World level where he would be able to leverage those high pressure situations.

Can a team win without experience? Sure. I am sure some of these kids have played pressure hockey as Bantams etc. But, I will take a team filled with players that have played a ton of playoff games rather than a team that has played relatively little every time.

Oshawa will go into next season with he core of their roster all having excelled at a high level last year. They may have gotten bulldozed by a tough Ottawa team but that win against Niagara wil help them with confidence next year.

I always believe that some teams can and do overcome it because they are just a mature group that is full of winners who naturally know what it takes. But when things get tough, experience is not going to ever hurt you. It can help and be the thing that puts you over the top.

I use 2017 for Erie as an example. The previous 3 years of playoff runs is why they came back in game 7 vs London. They flipped a switched after the 1st period and were determined to find a way and knew how to dig deep. Then in round 3, when they needed to win..they showed up. Same can’t be said for OS that series (who had much less experience).
I can confirm that experience was crucial for them. Sometimes when you lose deep in the playoffs, it actually teaches you a bit of how to win. You see how the other team does it and you can learn. The players in Erie all referred to their experience when things got tough.

Also, their 3 trades that year.. Foegele/Cirelli and Murdaca. Why? Previous 3 years they lacked some grit and offensive/defensive depth deeper in the playoffs. So they went out and got the best 2 way forwards available. They also had goalie issues so they went and got a capable backup which was critical to their run. Even their GM learned from experience..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad