Mid-Season Prospect Ranking & Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by Stizzle, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

That Rubstov injury is such a bummer.

He had finally made us believers again. Now we have to hope he finds that same level of confidence next season so he can get back on track.

2. rajiabu

rajiabu Registered User

Is there no love for Sushko?

3. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

4th liner, Sushko doesn't have the top scoring skills that allow you to project him to a top 9 spot.
    Right now his ticket is using his size/speed combo to be a top forechecker, and follow the Raffl route, prove yourself in that role, then generate enough offense to move up the food chain.

Twarynski had a much better junior career and he is expected to be a 4th liner.

4. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

Tripod likes this.
  5. Stizzle

Stizzle Registered User

I just wanted to add on to this post. Hopefully, I can further explain my thought process. Especially after my discourse with a couple posters in the AHL thread and seeing others lists posted here, and elsewhere.

It seems like I covet our defensemen more than the other lists. I thought some were a little dismissive of the impact and value that a 2nd, or even bottom, pair defenseman has.

Personally, when I hear someone describe a prospect as having legit 2nd pair ability and potential it's music to my ears. I'm at the point where I think you really do need a roster of 6 legitimate, puck-moving defensemen. They all don't need to produce points, but they really do need positively impactful transition skills.

The defensemen who don't are just exposed far too easily in the current league. A shortage of capable defensemen exists at the moment and the league seems to have recognized this.

Right-handed defensemen especially are at a premium. Playing defense in the NHL is tough as is. Having to be a lefty playing your off side and fishing pucks off the wall, while trying to break out on your backhand, is often a losing proposition.

Overall, it's just my opinion that Kalynuk, St. Ivany, and Wylie were being sold a bit short. Zamula seems to be a little more polarizing. As some did view him as I did.

Morin and Friedman seemed overrated to me. Morin mostly for his lack of puck skills. Friedman I just question his decision making.

Captain Dave Poulin likes this.
  6. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

Some agreement and disagreement.
    3rd pair defensemen often play 15+ minutes a night, that's about the same PT as a 2nd line forward.
    So they have significant value, especially if they're more than placeholders.

It's easy to overrate junior players, and even in college, unless they play in a top conference - a lot of players shine against inferior athletes, then struggle when windows are smaller. So we should be skeptical to some extent of Zamula, Wylie and St Ivany. Kalynuk is playing better competition (compare top college programs with any junior team). Hogberg right now is a better bet than any of them even though he isn't scoring, playing on the top pair of the best team in the SHL at 20 years old is impressive, as I'm sure Appleyard will be happy to tell us! :laugh:

Friedman hasn't jumped out at me on the Phantoms, but he's been carrying Brennan around - he might well look better in the NHL with a more responsible partner.

7. Stizzle

Stizzle Registered User

Below is an excellent animation of exactly the kind of thing I was referencing in my write-up on Vorobyev. An assist from Friday night's game.

Bailey admits afterwards, at the 2:10 mark of this interview, he was not expecting the pass.