Mid-Season Prospect Ranking & Chatter Thread

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Here is this years winter prospect rankings and debate thread. Please feel free to post your list, comments, criticisms, questions, etc.

Below is my list. I chose not to include goalies...

1. Morgan Frost
2. Philippe Myers
3. Joel Farabee
4. Egor Zamula
5. Jay O'Brien
6. Misha Vorobyev
7. Tanner Laczynski
8. Wyatt Kalynuk
9. Wade Allison
10. Wyatte Wylie
11. Jack St. Ivany
12. German Rubtsov
13. Isaac Ratcliffe
14. Linus Hogberg
15. David Kase
16. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
17. Mark Friedman
18. Noah Cates
19. Connor Bunnaman
20. Adam Ginning

Various Prospect Blurbs

**(4) Egor Zamula**

Calgary, and Big Z, started really slow this year. After an initial scoreless 8 games, Zamula absolutely caught fire.

He looks like a high-end prospect to me. A physically immature kid, but he has everything you look for. Zamula has me believing.

This is the type of defenseman you shouldn't mind ranking high, despite not having a long track record. These guys don't grow on trees. I think the upside is actually fairly considerable.

Zamula is smooth, smart, and confident. He has a lot of similarities to a former lanky Hitmen defenseman we know. He has some tricky herky jerky moves to create space and open lanes that are pretty slick. Big Z is a pretty damn nice last signing by Hextall & Pryor. Thank the Calgary Flames for once again gifting us an undrafted free agent defenseman who is awesome.

**(5) Jay O'Brien**

After initially watching all of his available footage, JOB seemed like a more dynamic prospect than Farabee to me.

Unfortunately, 6 months later we don't have much more to go on because of injuries and his near non-existent role at the WJC.

I moved him down slightly just because Farabee seems like such a sure bet and Zamula's big rise. My viewings of him this season have been almost exclusively positive.

JOB is always looking to either create offense or hunt the puck. I said in the WJC thread, during the Sweden game, that when he has the puck it feels like something good is about to happen. He doesn't want to settle, which I appreciate. O'Brien remains a bit of an enigma, but he certainly looks like a real player.

**(6) Misha Vorobyev**

The Pimp is having a bit of a post-demotion hangover in Allentown. After a monster NHL preseason, he was "coached up" by Hak and quickly unceremoniously dumped to Lehigh Valley.

He's been just ok this season in the AHL. He still makes a play or two a game that forces you to sit up and pay attention, but I'd like to see more of what I saw late last season and this preseason. He hasn't been afforded the toolsiest of linemates or any PP1 time, which certainly isn't helping. I also have to assume Fazleev returning to Russia, and Rubtsov off in Voorhees rehabbing, hasn't helped his psyche either.

I've obviously been an ardent believer in Vorobyev, and said his game translates to the NHL better than the AHL. I'd like to think we saw a glimpse of that being true earlier this year. Unfortunately, Misha ran into the Dave Hakstol young player development program.

Misha Vorobyev is a playmaking center, who makes good use of skilled linemates with give and go plays. He anticipates plays in advance and can put himself in positions for good things to happen.

But he isn't a one man show. He doesn't have dynamic skating or finishing ability. Vorobyev really needs a quality wingman to thrive.

He will catch some linemates off guard at times with unexpected passes. I recall a Powerplay sequence, in the preseason game at MSG, where he even suprised Giroux with a quick return pass.

I believe Vorobyev should eventually be a help on the Flyers penalty kill. He has an excellent stick and makes gaining entry to the blue line miserable at times.

Additionally, the Flyers 2nd PP unit could use him, as controlled offensive zone entries are one of his strengths. Both passing and carrying. Although, I must say, he did not acclimate himself well on his brief stint on that unit in the NHL. For some reason he failed in getting back on defense when the opposing PK would gain possession. Although, one would assume, that should be an easy fix for Misha.

In conclusion, free Misha.

**(7) Tanner Laczynski**

Oh, we need a replacement for a right-handed power forward headed to free agency? Here's one that's actually good.

**(10) Wyatte Wylie**

My love of right-handed defensemen is undeniable. Just so valuable and difficult to find.

Wylie is really good, but I almost wish he didn't play for such a well coached and structured team in Everett. I'd like to see how he'd respond to a less friendly environment (i.e. Lehigh Valley) to see if any warts are being hidden. This is a really well rounded and low maintenance prospect. I have hope for him.

**(11) Jack St. Ivany**

This ranking of St. Ivany is not based on much. The WJC only gave us a glimpse of him and I haven't seen any of his games at Yale. My only real thought is his skating looked much better than the one time I saw him last year. But hey, sign me up for a lanky right-handed defense prospect with smarts and skill any day.

**(13) Isaac Ratcliffe**

For me, Ratcliffe is the toughest forward we have to project. He's an unusual prospect because of his unique build and play style. Also, Guelph is a somewhat poorly coached and underachieving team. So that adds to the difficulty in projecting him. I'd love to see what he looks like on a line with a real playmaking center, which Guelph lacks.

**(14) Linus Hogberg**

I have no confidence my ranking on Hogberg is accurate. I don't watch SHL games and only have his Corsi numbers, my few viewings from last years Champions League, and WJC games to go on. A prospect I like but a little bit out of sight, out of mind.

**(17) Mark Friedman**

Friedman looks the part. He can skate, is pretty skilled, and plays with some bite. Despite being a RHD, which is a huge plus, he just doesn't rate highly for me. I question his decision making with the puck.

**(18) Noah Cates**

Safe and reliable. Plays a heavy game. Put in the work. Provides structure to our group. :sarcasm:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The toughest decision for me has to be #2.

Farabee had a few games where he was the best player on a team that featured Jack Hughes. And at the same time Myers is tearing up the AHL.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Here is this years winter prospect rankings and debate thread. Please feel free to post your list, comments, criticisms, questions, etc.

1. Morgan Frost
2. Philippe Myers
3. Joel Farabee
4. Egor Zamula
5. Jay O'Brien
6. Misha Vorobyev
7. Tanner Laczynski
8. Wyatt Kalynuk
9. Wade Allison
10. Wyatte Wylie
11. Jack St. Ivany
12. German Rubtsov
13. Isaac Ratcliffe
14. Linus Hogberg
15. David Kase
16. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
17. Mark Friedman
18. Noah Cates
19. Connor Bunnaman
20. Adam Ginning

Various Prospect Blurbs

**(4) Egor Zamula**

Calgary, and Big Z, started really slow this year. After an initial scoreless 8 games, Zamula absolutely caught fire.

He looks like a high-end prospect to me. A physically immature kid, but he has everything you look for. Zamula has me believing.

This is the type of defenseman you shouldn't mind ranking high, despite not having a long track record. These guys don't grow on trees. I think the upside is actually fairly considerable.

Zamula is smooth, smart, and confident. He has a lot of similarities to a former lanky Hitmen defenseman we know. He has some tricky herky jerky moves to create space and open lanes that are pretty slick. Big Z is a pretty damn nice last signing by Hextall & Pryor. Thank the Calgary Flames for once again gifting us an undrafted free agent defenseman who is awesome.

**(5) Jay O'Brien**

After initially watching all of his available footage, JOB seemed like a more dynamic prospect than Farabee to me.

Unfortunately, 6 months later we don't have much more to go on because of injuries and his near non-existent role at the WJC.

I moved him down slightly just because Farabee seems like such a sure bet and Zamula's big rise. My viewings of him this season have been almost exclusively positive.

JOB is always looking to either create offense or hunt the puck. I said in the WJC thread, during the Sweden game, that when he has the puck it feels like something good is about to happen. He doesn't want to settle, which I appreciate. O'Brien remains a bit of an enigma, but he certainly looks like a real player.

**(6) Misha Vorobyev**

The Pimp is having a bit of a post-demotion hangover in Allentown. After a monster NHL preseason, he was "coached up" by Hak and quickly unceremoniously dumped to Lehigh Valley.

He's been just ok this season in the AHL. He still makes a play or two a game that forces you to sit up and pay attention, but I'd like to see more of what I saw late last season and this preseason. He hasn't been afforded the toolsiest of linemates or any PP1 time, which certainly isn't helping. I also have to assume Fazleev returning to Russia, and Rubtsov off in Voorhees rehabbing, hasn't helped his psyche either.

I've obviously been an ardent believer in Vorobyev, and said his game translates to the NHL better than the AHL. I'd like to think we saw a glimpse of that being true earlier this year. Unfortunately, Misha ran into the Dave Hakstol young player development program.

Misha Vorobyev is a playmaking center, who makes good use of skilled linemates with give and go plays. He anticipates plays in advance and can put himself in positions for good things to happen.

But he isn't a one man show. He doesn't have dynamic skating or finishing ability. Vorobyev really needs a quality wingman to thrive.

He will catch some linemates off guard at times with unexpected passes. I recall a Powerplay sequence, in the preseason game at MSG, where he even suprised Giroux with a quick return pass.

I believe Vorobyev should eventually be a help on the Flyers penalty kill. He has an excellent stick and makes gaining entry to the blue line miserable at times.

Additionally, the Flyers 2nd PP unit could use him, as controlled offensive zone entries are one of his strengths. Both passing and carrying. Although, I must say, he did not acclimate himself well on his brief stint on that unit in the NHL. For some reason he failed in getting back on defense when the opposing PK would gain possession. Although, one would assume, that should be an easy fix for Misha.

In conclusion, free Misha.

**(7) Tanner Laczynski**

Oh, we need a replacement for a right-handed power forward headed to free agency? Here's one that's actually good.

**(10) Wyatte Wylie**

My love of right-handed defensemen is undeniable. Just so valuable and difficult to find.

Wylie is really good, but I almost wish he didn't play for such a well coached and structured team in Everett. I'd like to see how he'd respond to a less friendly environment (i.e. Lehigh Valley) to see if any warts are being hidden. This is a really well rounded and low maintenance prospect. I have hope for him.

**(11) Jack St. Ivany**

This ranking of St. Ivany is not based on much. The WJC only gave us a glimpse of him and I haven't seen any of his games at Yale. My only real thought is his skating looked much better than the one time I saw him last year. But hey, sign me up for a lanky right-handed defense prospect with smarts and skill any day.

**(13) Isaac Ratcliffe**

For me, Ratcliffe is the toughest forward we have to project. He's an unusual prospect because of his unique build and play style. Also, Guelph is a somewhat poorly coached and underachieving team. So that adds to the difficulty in projecting him. I'd love to see what he looks like on a line with a real playmaking center, which Guelph lacks.

**(14) Linus Hogberg**

I have no confidence my ranking on Hogberg is accurate. I don't watch SHL games and only have his Corsi numbers, my few viewings from last years Champions League, and WJC games to go on. A prospect I like but a little bit out of sight, out of mind.

**(17) Mark Friedman**

Friedman looks the part. He can skate, is pretty skilled, and plays with some bite. Despite being a RHD, which is a huge plus, he just doesn't rate highly for me. I question his decision making with the puck.

**(18) Noah Cates**

Safe and reliable. Plays a heavy game. Put in the work. Provides structure to our group. :sarcasm:

Awesome list Stizzle , well done!!

I'd put Friedman and Ratcliffe a little higher personally.

Also, prepare your defences when @Captain Dave Poulin see's Bunny at 19!

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I might do this. Or just pretend I did and then lie when I say I ranked so and so really high above consensus.

No, no, no. You flaked out in the summer. Plus, you already said you would in another thread. :nod:

If only Hextall would have drafted Bulat Shafigullin instead of Ginning. Then I know you'd happily submit a list without arm twisting.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No, no, no. You flaked out in the summer. Plus, you already said you would in another thread. :nod:

If only Hextall would have drafted Bulat Shafigullin instead of Ginning. Then I know you'd happily submit a list without arm twisting.

:dunce:

Fiiiine. And you're probably the only person with Ginning above Morin. Makes you a Ginning superfan, if you think about it.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
:dunce:

Fiiiine. And you're probably the only person with Ginning above Morin. Makes you a Ginning superfan, if you think about it.

Ha, I wasn't counting Morin as a prospect since he's in the NHL. Also, he's been here so long that I've grown sick of ranking him.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Myers
Frost
Farabee
Allison
Rubtsov
Vorobyev
Morin
Laczynski
Ratcliffe
Kase
O'Brien
Zamula
NAK
Friedman
Ginning
Kalynuk
Bunny
Cates
Wyle
Hogberg

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
1.Myers
2.Frost
3.Farabee
4.Rubtsov
5.Allison
6.Ratcliffe
7.OBrien
8.Kase
9.NAK
10.Vorobyev
11.Zamula
12.Morin
13.Ginning
14.Friedman
15.Laczynski

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Nicely done.

:clap:

Ratcliffe seems low on your list. Any reason why?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Allison has 4 points in 8 games this year. Everyone has him too high.

He is just coming back from a major knee injury. He's probably not up to speed yet. I'm sure most are ranking him based off of what they saw pre-injury. If his production never picks up by the end of the season, maybe it would be worse re-assessing his future.

Reactions: Tripod and Jtown

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Nicely done.

:clap:

Ratcliffe seems low on your list. Any reason why?

Thanks.

No, not really. I just value the defensemen more. Despite them having a bigger bust factor. I like Ratcliffe. He might have another gear on a more functional team. Plus he has the potential to be a really good PK'er with that reach.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Awesome list Stizzle , well done!!

I'd put Friedman and Ratcliffe a little higher personally.

Also, prepare your defences when @Captain Dave Poulin see's Bunny at 19!

I have no problem with Bunny at 19 - it's when he lands after 20 that I start running around tearing off heads. Also, Stiz and I share a mini-Hivemind, so when he says something about hockey, he is speaking for both of us.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Stizzle I figured you were going to go 4 once you brought it up. I’m not nearly as up on things this year, but I’ve gone out of my way to catch some of Calgary and have been super impressed with him too.

I’m not going to post a list because I haven’t caught a single second of Ohio St/Guelph/X this year. It wouldn’t mean anything.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I have no problem with Bunny at 19 - it's when he lands after 20 that I start running around tearing off heads. Also, Stiz and I share a mini-Hivemind, so when he says something about hockey, he is speaking for both of us.

The real question is, does he also wear jorts? :sarcasm:

I, of course, have decided you picked up that odd habit in Thailand around all those ladyboys :naughty:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thanks for this thread. I honestly did not read it past the initial ranking and reading “the pimp”. Now I know who the pimp is.
Now I need to know why.

I dubbed him the Pimp when he showed up wearing a medallion and a fur hat like a pimp.

Pt3xZ6J.jpg

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
**(13) Isaac Ratcliffe**

Alright, this is what I'm talking about. Give Ike a real center and let him loose. Finally. :thumbu:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Can’t post an accurate list because i have not seen enough of these guys lately

But I agree with Ratcliffe lower. I maybe would even put Kase ahead of him. There is something about Ratcliffe that i just have never liked.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

1. Morgan Frost
2. Philippe Myers
3. Joel Farabee
4. Egor Zamula
5. Jay O'Brien
6. Misha Vorobyev
7. Tanner Laczynski
8. Wyatt Kalynuk
9. Wade Allison
10. Wyatte Wylie
11. Jack St. Ivany
12. German Rubtsov
13. Isaac Ratcliffe
14. Linus Hogberg
15. David Kase
16. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
17. Mark Friedman
18. Noah Cates
19. Connor Bunnaman
20. Adam Ginning

From what I've seen:

Frost is solid, just lacks a certain something, but could simply be that he's not comfortable at LW. He doesn't show the explosive qualities of an elite speed forward. A guy like Glass was flashier, but also played some horrid defense.

Myers looks better than he plays, but is closing the gap, still doesn't jump out at me from what I've seen. I don't think I've ever seen him dominate a game, maybe I expect too much, but given his size/speed/skill package, he should jump out at you at the AHL level.

Farabee is going to be special, skated better than last summer, goes to the net, smart defensively and has offensive chops - what's not to like? Only thing that will keep him out of PHL next year will be how quickly he fills out - given his game, he has to be 190+ (plays a lot in the dirty areas). Underutilized by the US coach.

Zamula. Haven't seen him, great numbers but from TC he's woefully thin, have to see how filling out that frame impacts his game.

O'Brien, incomplete, didn't show much but really tough start to his season.

Rubtsov, real shame he got hurt, best player on the Phantoms. The player we thought they had drafted.
Kase is another who was showing real promise before he went down, kid probably needs a couple years to get strong enough to handle punishment.

NAK, showing more offensive chops since his return to the AHL, that's all he really needs, some polish to his game.

Friedman, he's probably going to be one of those slow developing "tweener" D-men, not big enough to mash, not fast or skilled enough to control the game, but he shows enough to see him as a 3rd pair guy initially and maybe more down the road. Comes down to smarts, he can get there fast enough and has a stout little body but has to know where to go.

Vorobyev, though he looked lost in the NHL, Appleyard says he's coming around, didn't see a lot a month ago. Not sure he has enough speed for today's NHL unless he really learns to use his size to compensate like Couts.

Bunnaman/Twarynski, haven't seen enough from either of them to see them in the NHL now, but by next year? One reason I want the Phantoms to go deep in the the Calder cup, good opportunity for bigger bodies to show their stuff when the games get tighter.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Top 5 ranking of the players I’ve seen play this season:

1. Morgan Frost:
Playing with a lot more pace this season in the NZ when he has the puck on his stick. 1st line NHL upside. Superb vision with an underrated shot.

2. Joel Farabee:
Really rounding into form (production-wise) with BU lately. Much needed shoot-first forward. Deceptive release. Great hockey sense.

3. Philippe Myers:
Top 4 NHL upside who’s defense has been a lot more consistent lately. Pretty spotty DZ play earlier this season. Picking his spots better too (i.e. when to rush the puck up ice). Should get called-up very soon. Very active stick and his skating ability can erase most coverage gaffe’s.

4. Egor Zamula:
Biggest riser among all Flyers prospects for me. Very aggressive defenseman in the NZ & DZ. Confidence with the puck on his stick is growing more and more. Excellent transition defenseman. Had a really bad turnover in every game I’ve seen him play. Not from a hockey sense thing, more from trying to make a play/kickstart transition.

5. German Rubtsov:
The best Phantom prior to his season-ending injury. Played with far more offensive aggressiveness than at any point in just junior career. Showing he could be a very good 3C in the NHL. Bummed that his season is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stizzle

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Can’t post an accurate list because i have not seen enough of these guys lately

But I agree with Ratcliffe lower. I maybe would even put Kase ahead of him. There is something about Ratcliffe that i just have never liked.

I would not. Kase's injury issues are a real concern.

I would also have NAK above Allison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad