Mid-season Player Grades

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Sedins B Return to form, but are aging (well)

Vrbata B+ As advertised. A shooter.

Burrows B Bounceback year. He is valuable in many ways, though shouldn't be a top 6 guy ideally.

Bonino B (good playmaker, nice shot, solid facing top competition. needs better line mates, don't think its reasonable to turn two aging tweeners into world beaters)

Higgins C+ (good not great. a useful player, but could be trade bait by the deadline)

Matthias C (shows glimpses of how effective a player he can be, but we are stuck with the player we see most of the time.)

Richardson B+/A- (exceeding expectations but playing more than should be expected of him. he's a good 4C, not a pure shutdown centre. evident against tougher competition)

Kassian C (rough start, but has been oft-injured. needs to show more physicality and consistency on the forecheck. pairing with Bonino would be nice)

Dorsett B- (good 4th liner. effective in limited minutes.

Horvat B- (impressive showing for a 19 year old. is improving but certainly has room to grow. could stand to sit out a game or two to reset and reassess. continues to get more comfortable and confident out there. for now he's an okay 4C, but by year's end he may challenge for a top 9 spot)

Hansen A- Bounceback year as expected. Not a 4th liner. Valueable.

Vey B- Okay. You can see he has more to offer, but to be honest has been gifted opportunity after opportunity.

Edler B+ (return to form. never been a great defensive defenseman so this is a nice development. needs to show more offensively given what's expected of him and the PP time gifted to him)

Tanev A (excellent.needs to get more PP time. Logged 25 mins against Calgary.)

Hamhuis B (he's normally a A-grade player. Adjusting to new system. By seasons end he'll probably be an A)

Sbisa C (not as bad as some say, but still not great. has tools to be a top 4 D, but terrible decision making. His physicality is evident and adds a new dimension. he just needs to suck less than bieksa to make him expendable)

Bieksa C (leadership, heart and soul guy who can log big minutes. still, obvious decline is obvious)

Weber B- (not sure what people expect from a 6/7 Dman. not the best, but is chipping in offense)

Stanton C+ (overrated on these boards)

Miller B- (inconsistent, but gets it done. has played lights out or stunk it up, no middle ground)

Lack B+ (done what's expected of him, needs more starts)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There are a couple ways to do this...
One - Grade relative to expectation... So everyone gets a C, and then go from there..
Two - Grade actual performance to date..

I'll do both...

Grade relative to MY expectation:

A+ :
A : Dorsett
A- : Daniel, Vrbata, Horvat's D
B+ : Henrik, Richardson, Edler
B : Burrows, Hansen
B- : Vey, Tanev
C+ : Bonino, Miller
C : Matthias, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber
C- : Kassian, Higgens, Horvat's O, Stanton, Lack
D : Bieksa
F :

Actual Performance:

A+ :
A : Edler
A- : Daniel, Henrik, Vrbata
B+ : Tanev, Miller
B : Burrows
B- : Dorsett, Richardson
C+ : Kassian, Bonino, Hamhuis, Hansen, Vey
C : Bieksa, Matthias, Higgens, Lack
C- : Horvat, Sbisa,
D : Weber, Stanton
F :

Any questions?

Edler - clear cut #1... such a stabilizing force back there with Tanev
Tanev - woulda been ranked right up there as well if it wasn't for the fact he is a complete black hole in the O half of the rink.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
D Sedin - C
H Sedin - C
Vrbata - B
Higgins - C-
Bonino - C
Burrows - B-
Matthias - C+
Richardson - B+
Kassian - D
Dorsett - B+
Horvat - C+
Hansen - C+
Vey - C
Sestito - I

Edler - B
Tanev - A-
Hamhuis - B-
Bieksa - C-
Sbisa - D
Stanton - C
Weber - C

Miller - C-
Lack - B

These are relative to my expectations and their role on the team. Salary has something to do with expectations as well.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Sedins B Return to form, but are aging (well)

Vrbata B+ As advertised. A shooter.

Burrows B Bounceback year. He is valuable in many ways, though shouldn't be a top 6 guy ideally.

Bonino B (good playmaker, nice shot, solid facing top competition. needs better line mates, don't think its reasonable to turn two aging tweeners into world beaters)

Higgins C+ (good not great. a useful player, but could be trade bait by the deadline)

Matthias C (shows glimpses of how effective a player he can be, but we are stuck with the player we see most of the time.)

Richardson B+/A- (exceeding expectations but playing more than should be expected of him. he's a good 4C, not a pure shutdown centre. evident against tougher competition)

Kassian C (rough start, but has been oft-injured. needs to show more physicality and consistency on the forecheck. pairing with Bonino would be nice)

Dorsett B- (good 4th liner. effective in limited minutes.

Horvat B- (impressive showing for a 19 year old. is improving but certainly has room to grow. could stand to sit out a game or two to reset and reassess. continues to get more comfortable and confident out there. for now he's an okay 4C, but by year's end he may challenge for a top 9 spot)

Hansen A- Bounceback year as expected. Not a 4th liner. Valueable.

Vey B- Okay. You can see he has more to offer, but to be honest has been gifted opportunity after opportunity.

Edler B+ (return to form. never been a great defensive defenseman so this is a nice development. needs to show more offensively given what's expected of him and the PP time gifted to him)

Tanev A (excellent.needs to get more PP time. Logged 25 mins against Calgary.)

Hamhuis B (he's normally a A-grade player. Adjusting to new system. By seasons end he'll probably be an A)

Sbisa C (not as bad as some say, but still not great. has tools to be a top 4 D, but terrible decision making. His physicality is evident and adds a new dimension. he just needs to suck less than bieksa to make him expendable)

Bieksa C (leadership, heart and soul guy who can log big minutes. still, obvious decline is obvious)

Weber B- (not sure what people expect from a 6/7 Dman. not the best, but is chipping in offense)

Stanton C+ (overrated on these boards)

Miller B- (inconsistent, but gets it done. has played lights out or stunk it up, no middle ground)

Lack B+ (done what's expected of him, needs more starts)

I was going to post my own rankings, but I agree with almost all of this. Don't see Horvat pushing for top9 this season though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
People do realize that:

A = outstanding performance
B = Good performance
C+ = above average performance
C = average performance
C- = below average performance
D/F = failed

Right? Or are we all using different grading systems?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
These are relative to my expectations and their role on the team. Salary has something to do with expectations as well.

People do realize that:

B = Good performance
C = average performance
D/F = failed

yeah... but when people start grading based on performance RELATIVE to Expectation... then you got a sh** show of a grading system that means very little to anyone else.

i.e. Someone like Dorsett... I had very little expectations of the kid... so i would have him ranked as an A for exceeding my expectation... Someone else who may of been a fan probably would rank him closer to how he's actually performing due to him playing as the guy always expected him to play...

Grading based on personal expectation, you might as well throw in a blender because thats the range you're gonna get from people... Throw in salary and forget about it...

Don't know why you are wondering what the grading system is when you have Henrik as a C and Richardson as a B+.... The whole blender thing should be obvious when one goes the 'relative to expectation' route..

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
People do realize that:

B = Good performance
C = average performance
D/F = failed

That's not even the grading system you're using!

Yours is...

A = outstanding performance/salary
B = Good performance/salary
C+ = above average performance/salary
C = average performance/salary
C- = below average performance/salary
D/F = failed

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
yeah... but when people start grading based on performance RELATIVE to Expectation... then you got a sh** show of a grading system that means very little to anyone else.

i.e. Someone like Dorsett... I had very little expectations of the kid... so i would have him ranked as an A for exceeding my expectation... Someone else who may of been a fan probably would rank him closer to how he's actually performing due to him playing as the guy always expected him to play...

Grading based on personal expectation, you might as well throw in a blender because thats the range you're gonna get from people... Throw in salary and forget about it...

Don't know why you are wondering what the grading system is when you have Henrik as a C and Richardson as a B+.... The whole blender thing should be obvious when one goes the 'relative to expectation' route..

Simple: based on my expectation of how a 1C should be performing, especially relative to his salary, Henrik has been about an average grade. Meanwhile Richardson who is making $6M less, in a 3C/4C role has performed quite well.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
D Sedin - C
H Sedin - C
Vrbata - B
Higgins - C-
Bonino - C
Burrows - B-
Matthias - C+
Richardson - B+
Kassian - D
Dorsett - B+
Horvat - C+
Hansen - C+
Vey - C
Sestito - I

Edler - B
Tanev - A-
Hamhuis - B-
Bieksa - C-
Sbisa - D
Stanton - C
Weber - C

Miller - C-
Lack - B

This is the most realistic
I'd just give Richardson a C+
and Miller a B

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is the most realistic
I'd just give Richardson a C+
and Miller a B

For a $6M cap hit I would expect Miller's numbers to be in the top 10. They're near the bottom of the league which is why I have him at below average.

Richardson I gave a B+ because he's amongst our leading goal scorers (all of whom are well behind Vrbata mind you), and ranks 5th on the team in scoring. Given his $1.1M cap hit and 3rd line role that's quite impressive (on pace for about 40 points).

That's my explanation for those two grades.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Everyone is performing close to what I expected, with a few exceptions:

Richardson (A): Outperformed my expectations, is producing well at ES & SH.

Daniel (B): Rebounded from a horrible year. Thought he was done, but not yet it appears.

Vrbata (B): One of our better signings.

Horvat (B): Was not expecting him to make the club this season, let alone playing the entire season. Killed it on the dot so far, and is defensively sound - that's no small feat for a rookie.

Edler (B): Continues to be awful on the PP with no creativity whatsoever. Improved vastly in all other aspects.

Bieksa (D): Back to the 2009-10 Bieksa. At least he adds value off the ice and is well liked & respected by his teammates.

Sbisa (F): Awful player. Adds nothing to the team and would be an addition by subtraction if waived. Contract is atrocious too. Would have given him a D, but I'm amazed at the length some posters are willing to go in defending Sbisa (and thus propping up Benning's ass and crapping on Gillis). Kidding. He gets an F because he's ****acular and dumb as a sack of hammers on the ice.

Miller (D): See above. Was expecting him to be average. He's handed a string of easy starts and has been below average despite that. He's also overpaid, stole one of Lack's games, and just generally unlikeable. And don't get me wrong on the last part, because I still give players **** grades even if I like them (a la Sestito).

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
D Sedin - B- bounce back year,can get better
H Sedin - B+ hopefully the second half he scores more
Vrbata - B great pick up,,we need another 2 of them
Higgins - C- not what i expected on a second line
Bonino - C needs to find the net,,is he cursed?
Burrows - B-want more out of him,,but just love the guy
Matthias - C+needs to be more consistent
Richardson - B+has played better then some of our second line at times
Kassian - D guess the Hodgson trade is starting to look even right now
Dorsett - B+ Willies boy,,has played his heart out,,,
Horvat - B -not bad for the rookie,,,,great on the face offs,,,,
Hansen - A- my unsung hero,,,has done a bit of everything,,
Vey - C another Willies boy,,,,,hopefully he dont slid into the press box,needs to score

Edler - B+way better year
Tanev - A-praying to god he doesn't get injured,,he has been the best of all of them
Hamhuis - C+ was not really playing well before he got injured,can be better
Bieksa - D-cant get the puck out of his end zone majority of the time,he is passed his prime,,,time to move on
Sbisa - D just a trow in ,with the Kesler deal,,waivers would be nice
Stanton - C just ok
Weber - C not bad
Corado want to see more of him

Miller - B-Not bad,for the defence thats playing in front of him
Lack - B he is a keeper,,just love the guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad