Player Discussion Mid-Season Grades: Defense/Goalies

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Defense:

Rasmus Dahlin - Grade: A; Seeing the offensive game bloom but his ability to control the play at both ends of the ice, throw some monstrous hits, and create transition in so many ways… should be in the Norris conversation.

Mattias Samuelsson – Grade: B; So worth the extension, kills plays, eats minutes, provides stability; their record with and without him is an endorsement of his ability.

Owen Power – Grade: B; Sometimes it’s hard to remember he’s a 20-year-old rookie with how he can move the puck out of danger and create for his teammates; sometimes it’s hard to remember he plays defense with how he can be overwhelmed by physical confrontation and has a long way to go

Henri Jokiharju – Grade: C; Started well and has been hurt twice long-term. About what I expect out of him when he’s in the lineup.

Ilya Lyubushkin – Grade: C-; Getting hurt and trying to play through being hurt did his game no favors, has no leeway with the officials and is another who gets more grief than is warranted

Kale Clague – Grade: C-; when he’s being carried by Power and an offensive-heavy deployment, his fancy stats are good; of course, when he’s not, he’s kinda terrible.

Jacob Bryson – Grade: D+; has struggled since hitting mid-20’s in TOI during the injury blight

Casey Fitzgerald – Grade: F; Including him even though he was lost to waivers; rarely have I seen an NHL defenseman struggle with being drawn out of position so often and so regularly and yet continuing to get time because there was no one else. I hope Florida sees this and he does to them what he did to Sabre defense for a time before finding his way back to Rochester on waivers.

Tenders:

Craig Anderson – Grade: A; Surprisingly at his age, he’s given them very good tending in the limited minutes he can play thus far.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen – Grade: B; A surprise as he’s settled into the 1G role and created a goalie controversy after initial problems.

Eric Comrie – Grade: D; Has struggled in the same ways UPL has after some early success and being hurt, resulting in roster maneuvers to make it work.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Very fair and reasonable. Can't really dispute any of the grades. Maybe drop UPL a half grade for having caused all the trouble by playing well enough to emerge as the number 1. :laugh: :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Dahlin: An ultra rare A+ so far. He has been the best. If we make the playoffs, the HART should go to him
Sammy: C+
Power: B- (needs to produce more offensively to get this grade up)
Joker: C
Boosh: D (he has been below average this year, no question about it)
Bryson: F. Simply not playing at NHL standards
Clague: D (he is below average, but has at least been an NHL-level defenseman. He absolutely should be in over Clague)

UPL: C-. Play has been improving as of late. But overall, he's been slightly below average. That's enough to get the majority of wins on this team
Anderson: C. Cannot go higher as he simply doesn't play enough
Comrie: F. Not at NHL standard

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Defense:

Rasmus Dahlin - Grade: A; Seeing the offensive game bloom but his ability to control the play at both ends of the ice, throw some monstrous hits, and create transition in so many ways… should be in the Norris conversation.

Mattias Samuelsson – Grade: B; So worth the extension, kills plays, eats minutes, provides stability; their record with and without him is an endorsement of his ability.

Owen Power – Grade: B; Sometimes it’s hard to remember he’s a 20-year-old rookie with how he can move the puck out of danger and create for his teammates; sometimes it’s hard to remember he plays defense with how he can be overwhelmed by physical confrontation and has a long way to go

Henri Jokiharju – Grade: C; Started well and has been hurt twice long-term. About what I expect out of him when he’s in the lineup.

Ilya Lyubushkin – Grade: C-; Getting hurt and trying to play through being hurt did his game no favors, has no leeway with the officials and is another who gets more grief than is warranted

Kale Clague – Grade: C-; when he’s being carried by Power and an offensive-heavy deployment, his fancy stats are good; of course, when he’s not, he’s kinda terrible.

Jacob Bryson – Grade: D+; has struggled since hitting mid-20’s in TOI during the injury blight

Casey Fitzgerald – Grade: F; Including him even though he was lost to waivers; rarely have I seen an NHL defenseman struggle with being drawn out of position so often and so regularly and yet continuing to get time because there was no one else. I hope Florida sees this and he does to them what he did to Sabre defense for a time before finding his way back to Rochester on waivers.

Tenders:

Craig Anderson – Grade: A; Surprisingly at his age, he’s given them very good tending in the limited minutes he can play thus far.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen – Grade: B; A surprise as he’s settled into the 1G role and created a goalie controversy after initial problems.

Eric Comrie – Grade: D; Has struggled in the same ways UPL has after some early success and being hurt, resulting in roster maneuvers to make it work.
I have a soft spot for UPL, gave him a B
Anderson has played like a C of late B in the beginning.
Comrie: he is not as bad as some make him to be and he was thrown to the wolves earlier but he is still the 3rd goalie.
I do not have much confidence in him and the team in front seems to have none too when he is in.

Dahlin is hands down the best player on the team nobody is even close. A+

Sami: B you forget he is just in his first full season when you get upset of more prone tp mistakes as of late

Power: B still impressed, great for entries and creating offense

Joker: not seen enough to judge, he probably should be on the 3rd pair if they want Power to go over 20, but he is our 4 best D as of now with a huge gap below

Lubi: C- he has been alright, needed grit, dumb penalties, bit worse since the injury.
I dont have a problem when he is on, except in the ozone when on the point but I always hope its Dahlin or Power, everyone else is just meh.

Clague: C- was a decent substitute partner for Power but he is what he is a depth D

Bryson: D underperformed, the only true dissapointment on D. Small D are useless when they are not creating/passing or are on step ahead IQ wise.
Bryson is none of those this year.
Too small to clear the net
Probably would get something in the C range if he wouldnt be such a dissapointment this year

F-itz: glad he is off the main squad but still a bit sad he is gone. Go figure

Pilut: would like to see him instead of Bryson but there is the contract thing I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad