Mid-season decisions for UFA/RFA only

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Thought we should do a mid-season thread on whether we should re-sign or let go of our UFA/RFAs.

RFAs
Alex Killorn : re-sign to one-way 5 year contract
Anders Lindback : re-sign to two-way 1 year contract
Andrej Sustr : re-sign to two-way 2 year contract
Brett Connolly : re-sign to two-way 2 year contract
Charles Landry : let go (possible AHL only deal)
Dana Tyrell : re-sign at league minimum on a 1 year two-way contract
Dmitry Korobov : re-sign to two-way 3 year deal
J.T. Brown : re-sign to two-way 2 year deal
Keith Aulie : re-sign to two-way 1 year deal if possible, otherwise one-way 1 year
Mark Barberio : re-sign to one-way 2 year
Ondrej Palat : re-sign to one way 5 year
Philippe Paradis : AHL only deal, otherwise let go
Richard Panik : re-sign to one-way 2 year
Riku Helenius : will most likely leave for Europe, if he wants to stay - 1 year, two-way
Tyler Johnson : one-way, 5 year

UFAs
Brian Lee : let go
Cedrick Desjardins : let go
Geoff Walker : AHL only deal, otherwise let go
Matt Taormina : AHL only deal, otherwise let go
Mike Angelidis : two-way, 1 year
Pierre-Cedric Labrie : two-way, 1 year
Sami Salo : one-way, 1 year
Tom Pyatt : one-way, 1 year

Thoughts?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Thought we should do a mid-season thread on whether we should re-sign or let go of our UFA/RFAs.

RFAs
Keith Aulie : re-sign to two-way 1 year deal if possible, otherwise one-way 1 year
Riku Helenius : will most likely leave for Europe, if he wants to stay - 1 year, two-way

UFAs

Thoughts?

Don't see Killorn, Johnson and Palat getting 5 year deals and Lindback/Connolly/Panik/Aulie and Sustr taking two way deals.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I see Landry gone not even an AHL deal for him with Blujus/Dotchin and possibly Koekkoek in Syracuse next year. Agree Helenius is gone to Europe. Not sure Tyrell will want to take deal like that, think he wants to still play in the NHL and his chances with the lightning are all but over, might be able to move his rights for a prospect. I can't see Labrie getting an NHL contract from us. If we let Tyrell move on I can see Pyatt being brought back can't see us keeping both. Salo will depend on how his body holds up down the stretch and if Sustr/Barberio regress late in the season.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Connolly is not getting a two way offer. It will either be 1 way, or traded. My guess is 1 way, a multi year deal. He seems to have found his Mojo.

If Salo will sign a 1 year deal I would be OK with that, but I suspect other teams might offer a 2 or more years, in which case he is gone

For Aulie I think a it all depends on what they want to do with Sustr, and Barberio (Cote is back to the AHL). . My guess Sustr will be playing top pair in the AHL with Koekkeok, so Aulie will get a 1 way 2 year deal or part of a package to to get a top 4 D.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Connolly is not getting a two way offer. It will either be 1 way, or traded. My guess is 1 way, a multi year deal. He seems to have found his Mojo.

If Salo will sign a 1 year deal I would be OK with that, but I suspect other teams might offer a 2 or more years, in which case he is gone

For Aulie I think a it all depends on what they want to do with Sustr, and Barberio (Cote is back to the AHL). . My guess Sustr will be playing top pair in the AHL with Koekkeok, so Aulie will get a 1 way 2 year deal or part of a package to to get a top 4 D.

I thought Sustr was going to be playing top pair in the A this year but he made the team so I can't see him going there next year. The Cote signing confuses me cause they seem to like him as a #7 right now and I thought Aulie was the perfect 6/7. I know he's injured but when he comes back it'll be interesting to see if they do send Cote back down. Aulie would easily be claimed so we are going to have some interesting D moves to make soon.

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
No way any of our RFA's sign a two way deal. I'd like to sign Johnson for 5 years though and I think that's possible. Palat & Killorn for three years, and Connolly for two more. Any contracts that can make them an RFA again at the end are good too.

Don't know what's gonna happen with Brown and Panik but I think we give them both one year deals and drop one off after the year is over.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
RFAs

UFAs

I, personally, wouldn't give Killorn a 5 year contract. He hasn't been very good this year and I think he needs to earn a long term contract. I'd give him a two year contract to let him prove he belongs and then if he does he gets his bigger contract. Palat and Johnson I would give 4 or 5 year deals to though.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Unless you're going to overpay why would they accept 5-years when their value could increase very much within few years? 2-3 year Bridge-contracts are much more likely so players can earn better value in the next contract. Actually all the regulars should be getting those, better ones just get bit more money.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Unless you're going to overpay why would they accept 5-years when their value could increase very much within few years? 2-3 year Bridge-contracts are much more likely so players can earn better value in the next contract. Actually all the regulars should be getting those, better ones just get bit more money.

If they want 3 and organization wants 5, they'll compromise and make it 4 years. Signing them at a lower value greatly benefits us cap-wise. Look at Hedman's contract. Killorn, Johnson, and Palat should be 50-60 point players for us soon.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If they want 3 and organization wants 5, they'll compromise and make it 4 years. Signing them at a lower value greatly benefits us cap-wise. Look at Hedman's contract. Killorn, Johnson, and Palat should be 50-60 point players for us soon.

Woah, slow down there with the RobertGuess like overestimating our players. I agree that one maybe two of them can be 50-60 point guys but not all 3, there isn't enough playing time for all them to get that many points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad