Mid-round selections outperforming top picks from Calgary Flames 2008 draft class

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Calgary Flames finished the 2007-08 regular season in seventh place and secured a spot in the Western Conference playoffs. The team was knocked out in the first round for the third straight year when the Flames lost a hard fought seven game series against the San Jose Sharks.

Calgary went into the 2008 NHL Entry Draft hoping to only tweak their roster a little while looking for a top-six forward and some offensive depth on defense. The Flames acquired Mike Cammalleri from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for their first round selection (17th overall, which LA traded with the 28th pick to Anaheim to move up to 12th overall) and a second round pick so that the winger could help Jarome Iginla provide more offense for the Flames.… read more

More...

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If Ward can get poached by another team in the off-season and a real developmentally focused coach can be brought in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgence in Nemisz, Ferland, Howse and Wahl's (to name a few) career's.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If Ward can get poached by another team in the off-season and a real developmentally focused coach can be brought in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgence in Nemisz, Ferland, Howse and Wahl's (to name a few) career's.

I would love to bring a coach like Hartley into the Heat but it seems that Feaster really likes Ward so it seems unlikely we get a new coach.

As for Wahl I think he really needs to be given a chance, he had injure problems early on an that made him slip down the depth chart and he simply hasn't been given a chance since.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would love to bring a coach like Hartley into the Heat but it seems that Feaster really likes Ward so it seems unlikely we get a new coach.
Which is why I hope he's poached in the off-season. If another team offers Ward a head coaching job, or maybe even just an assistant position, and Ward decides to go, Feaster can't stop it. Well, not unless Ward doesn't have an out clause in his contract. I hope he does.

As for Wahl I think he really needs to be given a chance, he had injure problems early on an that made him slip down the depth chart and he simply hasn't been given a chance since.

Common story for a lot of Flames prospects for a long time now. Both in the AHL and the NHL. It's bizarre how the organization thinks it can ever improve unless it addresses these very basic and fundamental issues. Wahl has a lot of talent, but I doubt the Flames offer him a contract in the off-season; he wasn't picked by Feaster and injuries have seen him struggle. They don't seem high on him at all.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I wish Bouma wasn't injured this season.. I believe he will be a solid 3/4th liner for the Flames for years to come. Great attitude, physical presence, work ethic, and leadership qualities.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Brodie (Top 4 Defender)
Nemisz (Third Line two-way PF)
Bouma (4th Line Energy Player)

Not a TERRIBLE draft, if they progress how they are supposed to. Thank god for Brodie.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I wonder if Hartely can pursuade Feaster to let Ward go. Hartely might see that these players aren't NHL ready but have the skills

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I think we need to hire a coach that has a similar style to Hartley for the Heat

that way the players called up will be more ready for the NHL

Pittsburgh does this Im sure

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think we need to hire a coach that has a similar style to Hartley for the Heat

that way the players called up will be more ready for the NHL

Pittsburgh does this Im sure

A lot of franchises, well those with good management, try to get their minor league franchise playing the same system as the main club employes. It makes transitions for prospects that much easier and more efficient. The Sharks do this to great effect.

I know the Flames tried to do this under Darryl Sutter, at least for a couple of years. But of course, there wasn't enough talent in the minor leagues to get it to work to a good degree. And then again, the system itself wasn't any good either.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
A lot of franchises, well those with good management, try to get their minor league franchise playing the same system as the main club employes. It makes transitions for prospects that much easier and more efficient. The Sharks do this to great effect.

I know the Flames tried to do this under Darryl Sutter, at least for a couple of years. But of course, there wasn't enough talent in the minor leagues to get it to work to a good degree. And then again, the system itself wasn't any good either.

Now that you point it out. It seems illogical to do it any other way. Consider me +1 for the "get a new coach for the Heat" Bandwagon.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
i still believe that wahl has what it takes and i think feaster will give him one more year after this and he will be placed on the farm

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Winning is important too. You want prospects coming up the pipes in a winning atmosphere. If the Heat win the Calder for example, these prospects would likely join the Flames with the mentality of doing all the little things and sacrifices that win games

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Winning is important too. You want prospects coming up the pipes in a winning atmosphere. If the Heat win the Calder for example, these prospects would likely join the Flames with the mentality of doing all the little things and sacrifices that win games
why not both :handclap:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

As important as a winning environment is, it's significance is lost if victory appears on the backs of AHL journeymen like Kolanos or Brust versus from the play of actual Flames' prospects. Playing <10 minutes a night doesn't do Reinhart much good, even if it's on a Calder Cup winning team.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As important as a winning environment is, it's significance is lost if victory appears on the backs of AHL journeymen like Kolanos or Brust versus from the play of actual Flames' prospects. Playing <10 minutes a night doesn't do Reinhart much good, even if it's on a Calder Cup winning team.

Exactly.

Sure, they may learn what it takes for a team to win, but not how to improve their individual games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad