Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It was a big success for the 360, but forcing it with the console was a horrible idea.

It worked surprisingly well even online with friends on the 360. Had some fun playing beach volley ball, table tennis and bowling with a couple of friends. Though I will never forgive myself for losing to my aunt in golf.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It was a big success for the 360, but forcing it with the console was a horrible idea.

I agree, I think it's 360 implementation was pretty good, but by the end of the consoles life the lack of killer games made it's focus in Xbox One seem ill-advised right from the start. I don't think Microsoft ever managed to merge the impressive hardware with truly great, easy to play games that could appeal to a different audience than their typical Gears of War/Halo/etc crowd. Their base didn't want it included with their new console and they hadn't converted the Wii users - to this day grandmas out there are still playing Wii Bowling at care homes, they aren't playing Kinect Sports.

It's quite shocking that after the massive success of the Wii - a console that manage to get every age group and demographic on board - that no console since has come out and really tried all that hard to capture that market (although there is actually an Intellivision console coming out with the intention to go after that crowd). Microsoft sort of tried with the Xbox One by bundling the Kinect with it and focusing so much on the entertainment features of the console, but the price and lack of any game with the instant appeal of Wii Sports made it DOA.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Kinect was actually a really cool piece of hardware but there were limited games and you needed a fairly big open space in your living room which most people don't have or you have to move furniture, plus not all the games worked that well.

There are some youtubes on what individuals did with the hardware, it was amazing. It was also the 1st device that gave me the ability to speak to my tv and control it. A few of the games were really fun to show off but I never played them a ton. Some of the workout stuff was top-notch, in particular, yoga when it was measuring your correct positions and angles plus your HR.

Forza had a cool feature that you could just look a little bit left and right to look around your car.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So far i love my series x. The only weird quirk I noticed is it appears some streaming apps aren't quite ready to run on it.

I noticed with the TSN app last night. After watching the football game, I was playing NHL 21 and I noticed my console would do this weird white flash and then I lost the HDMI signal for a few seconds. It did this pretty frequently. Updating my TV firmware did nothing although it did seem to reduce its frequency. Decided to reboot and the problem went away.

This morning I decided to get a bit curious and tried the TSN app again. Sure enough, within about a couple of minutes it started doing it again. Booted up NHL with the app closed and let the CPU play and it didn't do it again.

I tried other streaming apps (youtube, twitch and Netflix) and as far as I could tell they ran normally. Leads me to assume some apps aren't optimized yet

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So far i love my series x. The only weird quirk I noticed is it appears some streaming apps aren't quite ready to run on it.

I noticed with the TSN app last night. After watching the football game, I was playing NHL 21 and I noticed my console would do this weird white flash and then I lost the HDMI signal for a few seconds. It did this pretty frequently. Updating my TV firmware did nothing although it did seem to reduce its frequency. Decided to reboot and the problem went away.

This morning I decided to get a bit curious and tried the TSN app again. Sure enough, within about a couple of minutes it started doing it again. Booted up NHL with the app closed and let the CPU play and it didn't do it again.

I tried other streaming apps (youtube, twitch and Netflix) and as far as I could tell they ran normally. Leads me to assume some apps aren't optimized yet

I've noticed this with my 1X when you're switching between HDR and no HDR

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've noticed this with my 1X when you're switching between HDR and no HDR

That's what I kinda figured it was after I messed around a bit. As far as I'm aware the TSN app is native 1080p whereas everything else is 4K ready. It never did it to me on the one x though which is weird.

Nothing to worry about I guess?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kinect was actually a really cool piece of hardware but there were limited games and you needed a fairly big open space in your living room which most people don't have or you have to move furniture, plus not all the games worked that well.

There are some youtubes on what individuals did with the hardware, it was amazing. It was also the 1st device that gave me the ability to speak to my tv and control it. A few of the games were really fun to show off but I never played them a ton. Some of the workout stuff was top-notch, in particular, yoga when it was measuring your correct positions and angles plus your HR.

Forza had a cool feature that you could just look a little bit left and right to look around your car.

I saw some of those. That usage of it in one of the Paranormal Activity movies was a surprise. They used it very cleverly too.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't know if it is just me, but two times already where my game didn't save while playing Watch Dogs Legions and had to redo the missions i have already completed.

This is why i think every game needs a manual save option.

Edit:

Did it again. Finished the final mission and found out that the game didn't f***ing save it.

I knew it was going to happen cause each time i try to quit to the main menu, the game does not allow me too quit. I can resume playing, but i cannot quit to the main menu. What usually followed is me dashboarding the game and then going back to the game in the future to find out the missions i just previously did weren't saved.

Decided to just delete the game cause i don't feel like playing through whatever missions the game didn't save again and i already finished the ending.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Update: It seems like leaving the app running in the background causes it to flicker. I test ran Netflix for a bit, it didn't do the flickering during watching, but the moment i went to the store to check on something (with netflix still open in the background) it started doing it. TSN also flickered with the with netflix working

It definitely seems like there's something screwy between the Xbox UI running at 4K and having to switch apps that aren't native 4K and it definitely seems isolated to software since restarting clears the problem entirely until you open the apps again.​

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Weird moment with my Series X today.. in the middle of a CoD game and all the sudden the system just turned itself off..

I turned it back on and played the rest of the day without an issues but it was just odd...

Also, the top of the box itself with the circle vents gets pretty damn hot.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Also, the top of the box itself with the circle vents gets pretty damn hot.
Its supposed to get hot. You should be worried if it was cold.

Other console vents get hot too, the vents are just usually at the back so you dont notice.

Weird moment with my Series X today.. in the middle of a CoD game and all the sudden the system just turned itself off..

I turned it back on and played the rest of the day without an issues but it was just odd...

And there was no error message when it turned back on? Probably consider returning it if it happens again tbh.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Its supposed to get hot. You should be worried if it was cold.

Other console vents get hot too, the vents are just usually at the back so you dont notice.

And there was no error message when it turned back on? Probably consider returning it if it happens again tbh.
1- didn’t say it wasn’t - just surprised by how hot it actually was

2- correct, no error message

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Don't know if it is just me, but two times already where my game didn't save while playing Watch Dogs Legions and had to redo the missions i have already completed.

Edit:

Did it again. Finished the final mission and found out that the game didn't f***ing save it.

I knew it was going to happen cause each time i try to quit to the main menu, the game does not allow me too quit. I can resume playing, but i cannot quit to the main menu. What usually followed is me dashboarding the game and then going back to the game in the future to find out the missions i just previously did weren't saved.

Decided to just delete the game cause i don't feel like playing through whatever missions the game didn't save again and i already finished the ending.
I read Ubisoft was having issues with this game doing that. I haven’t run into it but also haven’t played a ton yet.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I read Ubisoft was having issues with this game doing that. I haven’t run into it but also haven’t played a ton yet.

Be careful. Every couple of missions, try quitting to the main menu. If your game doesn't quit to the main menu, then your game is not getting saved.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Edit:

Doesn't the game have a quick save option? I use it all the time on AC: Odyssey.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Loving my Series X so far!

I was a bit worried about the controller being so similar but it’s a great upgrade. It feels great.

Reactions: Jussi

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Loving my Series X so far!

I was a bit worried about the controller being so similar but it’s a great upgrade. It feels great.

I hope they don't change the controller too much if ever. For me its by far the most comfortable controller.

I really just wish the controller was bigger... my hands engulf it now.

Enjoying the Series X, but I’d be lying if I wasn’t jealous of the new UI that Sony refined for the PS5...

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad