Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Xbox Game Pass for PC is doubling its price next week

Even with the doubling in price for the PC GamePass, it's probably still decent value for many avid gamers. I subscribed to it in March maybe not long enough to get totally hooked, I cancelled my subscription this morning. I basically was just liking and using Forza once in awhile. Tried some others however the only thing that caught my eye lately was the Flight Simulator (but had not got into that yet).
There is enough other stuff around to keep me pre-occupied without needing a partly used subscription that is doubling in price.

I have not decided on which new console yet. I've only decided to push back the purchase until next year when things get clearer. I figure if I can cancel my XBox subscription without feeling the pain, I prolly have the patience to wait until next year for any new console purchase.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Digital Foundry made an interesting point. The Series X has significantly less VRAM than the One X, which could mean backwards compatibility is going to be the One S versions. I could see this being true for Red Dead Redemption, which is native 4k on the One X
Been confirmed true for all games.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
So are they actually expecting people to drop 1500+ on a 4k usb 2.1 compatible TV?

Kinda shitty, I mean I'm in need of an upgrade anyway... but f***, finding a moderately priced TV that has usb2.1 isn't very easy right now.

Any recommendations?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So are they actually expecting people to drop 1500+ on a 4k usb 2.1 compatible TV?

Kinda shitty, I mean I'm in need of an upgrade anyway... but f***, finding a moderately priced TV that has usb2.1 isn't very easy right now.

Any recommendations?

Probably not what you're looking for, but my recommendation would be to wait a year or two for 2.1 to become standard on budget 4K TVs :laugh:

4K60 will be more than enough, I think. Hell, I'd be happy with 1080p60 consistently, but I'm still a little salty from last gen. :laugh:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Any recommendations?

Probably not what you're looking for, but my recommendation would be to wait a year or two for 2.1 to become standard on budget 4K TVs :laugh:

4K60 will be more than enough, I think. Hell, I'd be happy with 1080p60 consistently, but I'm still a little salty from last gen. :laugh:

how can I tell if I have 2.1 or not? Lol

is the PS5 gonna be the same way?

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
how can I tell if I have 2.1 or not? Lol

is the PS5 gonna be the same way?
Should be easy enough to find out if you google the model of your TV. If it's 4k and has a refresh rate of 120Hz, you're good. Although I believe some TVs have a specific HDMI port you need to use to take advantage of HDMI 2.1.

PS5 will have some games that support it, like Rainbow Six Siege. But like I mentioned earlier I cant see a huge amount of new titles taking advantage of this.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Should be easy enough to find out if you google the model of your TV. If it's 4k and has a refresh rate of 120Hz, you're good. Although I believe some TVs have a specific HDMI port you need to use to take advantage of HDMI 2.1.

PS5 will have some games that support it, like Rainbow Six Siege. But like I mentioned earlier I cant see a huge amount of new titles taking advantage of this.
So it’s not like a requirement per say

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
So it’s not like a requirement per say
No from what I understand you'll need 2.1 to run only 4k 120hz, or 8k. 4k 60fps will work through the standard hdmi 2.0a/b.

When did you buy your TV? I don't think many TV's have them, especially if they are old. It's also a different cable then the standard HDMI2.0a/b.

Likely what I'll have to do. Just can't warrant dropping that much money on a TV and a new generation console right now lol. Honestly with the lack of launch games, and my TV only being good for 1080p, I'll likely just wait to buy the new xbox.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
No from what I understand you'll need 2.1 to run only 4k 120hz, or 8k. 4k 60fps will work through the standard hdmi 2.0a/b.

When did you buy your TV? I don't think many TV's have them, especially if they are old. It's also a different cable then the standard HDMI2.0a/b.

Likely what I'll have to do. Just can't warrant dropping that much money on a TV and a new generation console right now lol. Honestly with the lack of launch games, and my TV only being good for 1080p, I'll likely just wait to buy the new xbox.
Around a year ago .. Vizio 75 .. not sure which series

EDIT Vizio D Series 70 inch

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

Any recommendations?

What size TV are you looking for? The Sony X900H 55 inch is $1,000 U.S. It has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports that get 2.1 functions when they release the firmware update

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Reactions: CPTN71

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The financing deal is pretty attractive. Does anyone know how the GPU portion works for those of us who already have a couple years of subscription built up? If it just adds a month on to the end of my subscription expiry date each billing cycle I think I'll go with the financing deal and maybe pick up a playstation for the first time ever or upgrade to a bigger TV.

I tried some google searching and couldn't get a clear answer.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You could argue that Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is kind of the first next-gen game. It's supposedly coming to Xbox One, but I can't imagine how that would look/run. I want to see it on the Series X to see what that system is capable of.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You're comparing internal with externals. External SSDs that match the speed of Series X internal SSD, cost a lot over here. Like way more than the memory card.
True, but you're also comparing a proprietary slot not out yet with SSDs designed for a 30 year old USB interface. There's no reason they couldn't have made an easy to access m.2 slot behind a easy to remove cover.

Reactions: Beau Knows

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Anyone try out xcloud? Curious how it works. I have never had any issues with Geforce Now so I was curious how it competed. I dont have andriod devices (well I have a nvidia shield but there's talk it doesnt work for it unless you sideload it).

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
It wasn't designed in such a way.

Agreed. M2 drives run hotter than 2.5 SSD drives. With the design they would have had to account for proper cooling for it. I am already curious the kind of temperature the Xbox Series X is going to run at already with it’s design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad