Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Like, I appreciate companies are updatimg games, but come on, 14gb of update spread over two seperate files? There needs to be an option to play offline for more games and bypass the update at least until your choosing
The updates are both bigger than Oblivion and Fallout 3. Both are just over 6GB.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
OK, my internet connection isnt great. I can stream HD video, but not do much else at the same time. Downloading digital games is basically an overnight/while im at work proposition for me.

So over the weekend I download State of Decay 2. Thats fine, I had company all weekend so didnt get any time to play anyways. Last night I go to fire it up "requires 8gb update". So I start it up and go to bed, presuming it will be ready for me tonight.

No sir!

Get home from work, go to launch

"reguires 6gb update"

:facepalm:

Welcome to the digital age of gaming.

There are many positives, and many negatives as well.

I mean, I get that you might have to immediately update a physical copy of the game. The time between burning to disc and arriving at the player's door could be enough time to find and patch issues and they have some leeway with that in the modern world (which is both good and bad).

But downloading the game digitally and then patching it? Why? Unless there was a rapid series of updates over the weekend, why wouldn't the version of the game you downloaded be the up to date version?

It really cheeses me off. I work in software so I understand that there are things that come up and sometimes you just don't have the time to make everything run as smoothly as you'd like, but it really just seems like they've abandoned the idea of quality of life of their products sometimes.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Welcome to the digital age of gaming.

There are many positives, and many negatives as well.

I mean, I get that you might have to immediately update a physical copy of the game. The time between burning to disc and arriving at the player's door could be enough time to find and patch issues and they have some leeway with that in the modern world (which is both good and bad).

But downloading the game digitally and then patching it? Why? Unless there was a rapid series of updates over the weekend, why wouldn't the version of the game you downloaded be the up to date version?

It really cheeses me off. I work in software so I understand that there are things that come up and sometimes you just don't have the time to make everything run as smoothly as you'd like, but it really just seems like they've abandoned the idea of quality of life of their products sometimes.

Look up First Party certification. It's the reason that game patches work the way they do.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
In terms of immediate updates upon installation? Interesting...

Can you give details?
Everytime a third party publisher wants to send a "build" whether it's the "Gold Master Build" (the one you download initially/the one you get on a physical disk), or a patch (updates, bug fix patches, etc.) the devs needs to send it to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to have it pass certification (not to mention it costs a lot of money).

So the digital download situation you described involves the gold master build being downloaded (or pre-loaded), then Day 1 + Subsequent patches.

So for say Day 1 patches the certification process was done in between the time the gold master was pushed/printed.
This is why it's downloaded day 1.

When someone buys a digital game months later, all of these downloads are lopped into a big download which to the end user looks like one large download.

First party certification is also the reason why patching is done in batches rather than shooting out a hotfix everytime a bug is found. Think PC only games where it's the wild wild west and there is no certification process.

This also is the reason why cross platform games between console and PC have slower updates on PC. Think PUBG pre-Xbox one release, they made updates super often. Whereas when it was finally released on Xbox One, PC updates came in at a much slower pace. The patches were batched for certification.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Everytime a third party publisher wants to send a "build" whether it's the "Gold Master Build" (the one you download initially/the one you get on a physical disk), or a patch (updates, bug fix patches, etc.) the devs needs to send it to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to have it pass certification (not to mention it costs a lot of money).

So the digital download situation you described involves the gold master build being downloaded (or pre-loaded), then Day 1 + Subsequent patches.

So for say Day 1 patches the certification process was done in between the time the gold master was pushed/printed.
This is why it's downloaded day 1.

When someone buys a digital game months later, all of these downloads are lopped into a big download which to the end user looks like one large download.

First party certification is also the reason why patching is done in batches rather than shooting out a hotfix everytime a bug is found. Think PC only games where it's the wild wild west and there is no certification process.

This also is the reason why cross platform games between console and PC have slower updates on PC. Think PUBG pre-Xbox one release, they made updates super often. Whereas when it was finally released on Xbox One, PC updates came in at a much slower pace. The patches were batched for certification.

Ah okay I see. Makes sense being as there's a cost associated with it from the platform holders.

Awesome insight! Thanks!

Although in the aforementioned scenario, I believe we were talking about a game that has been out for some time and still required a digital download plus two large updates shortly thereafter. Is there a specific reason why, on occasion, the builds and the updates would remain separate? Or why the certification process wouldn't be done prior to release of digital content (there would be an understandable delay in physical copies)?

I can totally see where bug fixes would be caught at launch and then patched a few days later with added time for this certification, but a lot of games ask for updates on launch day itself. I'm curious about the timing there, unless it's just bugs, etc. that were updated prior to launch but missed timing?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ah okay I see. Makes sense being as there's a cost associated with it from the platform holders.

Awesome insight! Thanks!

Although in the aforementioned scenario, I believe we were talking about a game that has been out for some time and still required a digital download plus two large updates shortly thereafter. Is there a specific reason why, on occasion, the builds and the updates would remain separate? Or why the certification process wouldn't be done prior to release of digital content (there would be an understandable delay in physical copies)?

I can totally see where bug fixes would be caught at launch and then patched a few days later with added time for this certification, but a lot of games ask for updates on launch day itself. I'm curious about the timing there, unless it's just bugs, etc. that were updated prior to launch but missed timing?

My guess is in my case its exceptionally unlucky timing.

I downloaded the game, then the first large patch. At that time a second large patch was released exactly while I was downloading the first one.

Ive never experienced anything like that before.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting approach, although not surprising considering the investments in streaming platforms made by Sony, EA and nVIDIA, as well as synergy with Xbox Game Pass and EA Access subscriptions.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Can't wait for game companies to push streaming as internet providers continue to push worse service.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With 5G on the horizon I would imagine ISPs are going to be forced to up their infrastructure and provide a better service.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Granted streaming doesn't work for everyone (and they are keeping a traditional console as well), but for those with access to fast internet and a low budget, it could be a good solution.

At the moment, input lag is a real problem.....

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
A streaming future won't work in rural Canada data caps are a ***** here.

I don't think they'll go full in on a streaming future. They can't, because rural Canada is hardly the only place in the world where data caps and bandwidth limitations are a *****. They'd be cutting out too much potential market, at least for the foreseeable future.

More likely, they do something like the launch of the Xbox 360, where they launched with a high-end skew and a low-end 'arcade' skew.

You can buy a box with full hardware built in, or you can buy a much cheaper box that streams the content off a server. You're guarenteed a perfect experience with the former, your mileage may vary with the latter.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What to expect from Xbox at gamescom 2018 - Microsoft News Centre Europe

Inside Xbox
This year a special episode of Inside Xbox will be broadcast live from the Xbox booth in the Koelnmesse. Tune in on Tuesday, August 21, at 4:30 p.m. CEST for lots of news, new Xbox One bundles and accessories, and features on upcoming titles (and perhaps even a few surprises).

Xbox FanFest: gamescom 2018
Xbox FanFest will return to gamescom once again this year, on the Rhein River. FanFest will happen for one night on Thursday, August 23. More information on tickets and all the special activities happening on this day will be revealed soon. Be sure to track #XboxFanFest for all updates.

Xbox Booth
The Xbox booth will feature an amazing line up of 25 games across a diverse range of genres. If you’re lucky enough to be coming to the show, then feel free to pay the Xbox booth a visit in Hall 8 of the Koelnmesse (North entrance).
This is the first time that European gamers will have the chance to jump in and try out many new gameplay experiences, including the open world freedom of driving through stunning beautiful historic Britain in Forza Horizon 4 or embarking on a journey to unravel Ori’s true destiny in this in Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Gamers will also have the opportunity to get the first ever hands-on with State of Decay 2’s Daybreak Pack, an all-new mode set to release in September.
PUBG fans will also want to make sure that they check out the PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds experience, featuring a new mode for Xbox One, playable for the first time at gamescom – and only in the Xbox booth.

Mixer Booth
Microsoft’s livestreaming service Mixer will also be at gamescom, located right next to the Xbox booth in Hall 8, where they will be bringing back the always popular HypeZone LIVE experience. Attendees will have the chance to earn victory in battle royale matches and even walk away with big prizes, while everyone at home can watch the turmoil unfold.

Making its European debut and in partnership with Game Legends will be the Xbox Official Gear Shop in the Gamescom fanshop arena. Fly your gaming colors and show off your fandom for Xbox and award-winning franchises like Halo, PUBG, and Gears of War with all new apparel and collectibles.
Show opening times are as follows:
Tuesday, August 21 – 9:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. CEST (press/trade only day)
Wednesday, August 22 – 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CEST
Thursday, August 23 – 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. CEST
Friday, August 24 – 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. CEST
Saturday, August 25 – 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. CEST

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
So, this All Access thing sounds pretty dope and I can see it taking off. They aren't going to catch PS4, but if it's a success, maybe they'll do it when their new console comes out and instead of paying 400 or whatever, it'll be x amount a month

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
This is a longshot after the moderate research I've done, but is there any way to play Xbox remotely on my Windows 10 laptop? I know there's a few games on the remoteplay feature or whatever it's called but my main goal is to play NHL19.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is a longshot after the moderate research I've done, but is there any way to play Xbox remotely on my Windows 10 laptop? I know there's a few games on the remoteplay feature or whatever it's called but my main goal is to play NHL19.
Pretty sure you just have to be signed into your Microsoft account on your laptop and then you can download the game from the app store?

But I could be wrong..

Reactions: Beauner

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty sure you just have to be signed into your Microsoft account on your laptop and then you can download the game from the app store?

But I could be wrong..

Sorry. or should I say it in Canadian, soory (because it's hockey), that's not how it works. Very few Xbox games are buy it on Xbox and you get it on PC. NHL 19 wasn't made for PC, so hence you can't download it on PC even if you buy it on Xbox. The Forza's are the only one I can think of where if you buy it on Xbox and you get the game for PC too.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad