Movies: Mickey's Mouse Trap

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
1703318708240463.gif

Edgy takes on Disney IPs? That takes me back to the early days of the internet.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And they have been cancelled as the US congress passes a law to extend copyright to 200 years and the Supreme Court votes unanimously to grant Disney an injunction against these pirates.

Really though, doesn't surprise me. Like I said you won't see them at Cineplex but there's a massive cottage industry that cranks out all these low budget slasher films, so they're well positioned with cast crew & writers to immediately jump on the new Disney public domain. Like just look at the lead character's (Mickey) Simon Phillip's imdb page, just an endless parade of mostly 4/10 star thrasher/thriller flicks.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The public loses on both fronts here.

1. Disney is allowed to keep their greedy hands on copyrighted material when they are a company that has been largely build on public domain.

2. We get absolute trash like Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I have a friend who is involved in this genre of movies. Disney is not pleased lol.

Have they had to change anything because of Disney? I would imagine their lawyers are looking for anything they could sue for to keep this stuff as distanced as possible.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Have they had to change anything because of Disney? I would imagine their lawyers are looking for anything they could sue for to keep this stuff as distanced as possible.

For one, any reference to "Mickey Mouse". I'm not sure how "Mickey's Mouse Trap" will survive litigation with regards to the title. Mickey Mouse it trademarked by Disney.

Here's a good article which explains it:

"New versions of Mickey Mouse remain under copyright. Copyright applies to creative characters, movies, books, plays, songs and more. And as it happens, Mickey Mouse is also trademarked.

"Trademark law is entirely about protecting brands, logos and names — like Mickey Mouse as a logo, or the name Mickey Mouse," McLeod says."

For movies which are not in public domain, basically any character that is referenced has to have the word "parody" after it. That's not just within the movie itself, but any press or discussion about such character as it pertains to the production.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I like low budget B horror movies. My wife and I got a kick out of Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey. I've heard Peter Pan and Bambi are two of the next movies to be coming from the Horror world. Bring on more of these famous cartoon character horror movies. Good for a laugh :cool:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad