Mickey Callaway fired by Mets

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Much like Willie Randolph I would be surprised if we ever see him manage again. The in game decisions were so horrifically bad at times you’d think his reputation around the league has to be massively tarnished

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
No surprise and as BMOK says I doubt he ever manages in the MLB again, probably back to being pitching coach

Brodie wants his own guy and if the coverage on SNY is to believed only reason why he was saved back in May was because the Mets couldn’t attract a big name manager mid-season. Basically making the playoffs was the only thing that would have saved him

I’m not old enough to remember the Bamberger days but despite having a record slightly over .500 over his two years he will go down as one of the worst managers in Mets history with Torborg and Howe

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Early candidates according to SNY: Girardi, Showalter, Espada, Beltran, Rojas (Mets quality control coach, probably a bench coach candidate). One dark horse is Hinch who is close with BVW, of course a long shot as the Mets would have to compensate the Astros. My guess is McEwing gets interviewed too

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
where ever maddon doesn't end up, probably.

angels, padres, giants and pirates jobs would be better than the mets. don't think he's in for the cubs job and he's not really a fit for the royals.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’d love to can Montoyo and bring in Girardi. I don’t know if he’s the best FITB for the Jays but Montoyo is a mashed potato head

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Girardi, Beltran and Mike Bell to be interviewed. Mets have permission to talk with Twins bench coach Derek Shelton and have reached out to Gibbons. Showalter looks unlikely

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Beltran has expressed interest in the job and has stated if he goes into managing it will only be with the Mets, he will not interview for other jobs. Showalter and Dusty Baker will be interviewed next week amongst the names I listed in the above post (Gibbons is the only one not reported to get an interview). One new name to the list is ESPN analyst Eduardo Perez

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Rich Mancuso who does some Mets coverage and has been correct before says pretty much nil chance it’s Girardi at this stage. If they weren’t hiring an experienced guy I’m not so sure why you’d fire Callaway. You risk putting yourself right back in the same spot if you go with someone who has never managed before

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Two more names to add

- Skip Schumaker, Padres first base coach, has been interviewed. He has a connection with BVW who was his agent as a player
- Tim Bogar hasn’t been interviewed yet (coaching with the Nationals). Well travelled coach, had short stint as Rangers interim manager and played for the Mets in the mid-90s

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Rich Mancuso who does some Mets coverage and has been correct before says pretty much nil chance it’s Girardi at this stage. If they weren’t hiring an experienced guy I’m not so sure why you’d fire Callaway. You risk putting yourself right back in the same spot if you go with someone who has never managed before

Because it's Brodie's non-experienced guy lol...with the list of guys the Mets are interviewing it's obvious Girardi's only on the list cause the fans would revolt even more if he wasn't. As it is, it looks so transparent that he's the token 'name' on a list of inexperienced guys.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Because it's Brodie's non-experienced guy lol...with the list of guys the Mets are interviewing it's obvious Girardi's only on the list cause the fans would revolt even more if he wasn't. As it is, it looks so transparent that he's the token 'name' on a list of inexperienced guys.

I was confused TBH why Beltran was even considered by the Yankees 2 years ago. To me it made no sense at the time. I’m not totally surprised when catchers who recently retired become managers but position players doing it is just flat out strange and rarely occurs or works out

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
It appears the four finalists are: Girardi, Beltran, Perez and Bogar who are all getting second interviews next week. I think it’s probably going to be Beltran or Bogar at this point.

Elsewhere the Mets announced Edgardo Alfonzo will not be managing in the Mets system next season despite winning the league title with Brooklyn. He is now a “team ambassador” :thumbd: Brodie wants to have his own guys at every level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad