OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The lack of talk about the Lions is quite surprising. At this point the question must be when will Quinn & Patricia (and others) be dismissed rather then if. The Lions better act swiftly now, because at least the Bears will look for a GM & HC tandem very soon, too. It's not that I despise tanking, but keeping Patricia over the next few games might be too harmful for the reputation than a slightly better pick could redeem.

Gruß,
BSHH

Not all Michigan sports fans are this way. But I feel like with the Lions if you want my excited talking about them phase it is before the draft and at the start of the season. This deep into the year I remember how much I hate them and it is tough breaking through that apathy to really discuss them at length. I watched through about the middle of the second today, went man these guys stink and are going to lose and moved along with my day. :laugh:

The guy/gal that can actually turn the Lions into a Super Bowl winner from a front office and coaching standpoint should be sainted, for they have performed a miracle.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
How does everyone feel about getting an MLS (Soccer) team in Detroit?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I would personally love it, but I don't think Detroit is a viable spot for an MLS team.

As in, no one will buy tickets to watch? Yeah, I can see that side.

And actually, I said Detroit but I wonder if it would go any better in a surrounding suburb. Like the Lions with the Silverdome and the Pistons with the Palace.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
As in, no one will buy tickets to watch? Yeah, I can see that side.

And actually, I said Detroit but I wonder if it would go any better in a surrounding suburb. Like the Lions with the Silverdome and the Pistons with the Palace.
Yah, I don't think in Detroit would be the spot, not the best demographics for soccer. Putting it in closer to the Suburbs may work better, lots of kids in the lacrosse/soccer group there.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I would personally love it, but I don't think Detroit is a viable spot for an MLS team.
Detroit has one of if not the best supported lower division sides. Biggest detractor may be the dwindling Detroit/MI population. There was a plan to push for a MLS club to play in Pontiac. To my knowledge there has never been a serious financial backer that will pony up the cash for a stadium.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Detroit has one of if not the best supported lower division sides. Biggest detractor may be the dwindling Detroit/MI population. There was a plan to push for a MLS club to play in Pontiac. To my knowledge there has never been a serious financial backer that will pony up the cash for a stadium.

I thought Dan Gilbert explored this with Gores, but got upset when he couldn't redevelop a prison site in Metro Detroit. Granted he wanted an extreme amount tax breaks and other things if I remember right so it was a different kind of deal even than the recent stadium builds down there.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Yah, I don't think in Detroit would be the spot, not the best demographics for soccer. Putting it in closer to the Suburbs may work better, lots of kids in the lacrosse/soccer group there.

I'm not sure about that. City Futbol Club packs their stadium regularly 3 miles up the road in Hamtramck. I think it's a question of the MLS club appealing to the bohemian City fans and being able to draw from the burbs.

Btw, City Futbol is, by far, the best sporting event in the Detroit area. I'm not a soccer fan, per se, but those fans are the best:yo:

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Who replaces Patricia?

Another former Belichick coach is available in Bill O'Brien.

Continue the Patriot way! :sarcasm:

The best option is probably a guy we know little about. Like a QB coach or first year coordinator. Most of the retreads available have huge, obvious flaws. Or they could gamble on one of the dynamic college coaches, but those guys are very hit or miss at the NFL level.

Reactions: mantha39

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I understand you have a lot of injuries but the personnel usage is mind blowing. Get rid of EVERYONE

If Stafford is healthy, this team should be winning more games. That's the bottom line. You have easily the second best QB in the division and it's still a struggle to keep up with the Vikings and Bears. That's insane.

Stafford is being wasted as bad as Barry and Calvin.

Listen to what Rodgers had to say this week about Stafford.

Huge praise and respect.

Reactions: mantha39

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Who replaces Patricia?
What do you think of Jack del Rio? While he is a DC (in the DC) right now, he is an established coach with HC experience - unlike Patricia. Del Rio might be more of a solid than an exciting choice, but the Lions better stop the skid than swing for the fences once again.

Gruß,
BSHH

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
What do you think of Jack del Rio? While he is a DC (in the DC) right now, he is an established coach with HC experience - unlike Patricia. Del Rio might be more of a solid than an exciting choice, but the Lions better stop the skid than swing for the fences once again.

Gruß,
BSHH
I liked Del Rio at Denver. I’m a broncos fan but I always try to root on the lions just want to see their fans have some success. Although I like Del Rio I’m not a fan of hiring defensive minded head coaches in today’s age. Wasn’t a fan of the broncos hiring Fangio think he would be much better suited at DC. I would try and get Bienemy out of KC if I was the lions. I personally want him in Denver but that just won’t happen. I thought they missed out not hiring him the first time around.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Who replaces Patricia?

That question only has relevance if A) Quinn is on the same bus out of town, and B) The supposed shift in ownership can make a reasonable choice to replace the Millen 2.0 regime.

Until there is a paradigm shift, ala the Pistons and Wings, I have to look at ownership in the same vein as D'Antonio shuffling his inept staff into different positions during his last year at MSU.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I liked Del Rio at Denver. I’m a broncos fan but I always try to root on the lions just want to see their fans have some success. Although I like Del Rio I’m not a fan of hiring defensive minded head coaches in today’s age. Wasn’t a fan of the broncos hiring Fangio think he would be much better suited at DC. I would try and get Bienemy out of KC if I was the lions. I personally want him in Denver but that just won’t happen. I thought they missed out not hiring him the first time around.
Isn't it a forgone conclusion that Bienemy will take over the Chargers next year? The Lions will very likely not be the most appealing suitor for sought-after coaches.

Gruß,
BSHH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Isn't it a forgone conclusion that Bienemy will take over the Chargers next year? The Lions will very likely not be the most appealing suitor for sought-after coaches.

Gruß,
BSHH
I'd be happy to hire him, but like you said, I have no idea why a guy at the top of many teams' short lists would choose Detroit.

EDIT: Here's a speculation list of candidates by The Sporting News:

Ranking the Lions' best Matt Patricia replacement candidates if Detroit fires head coach | Sporting News

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Patricia is done. The only question now is if Sheila gives Bob another crack at building a winner. History suggests she will but I am hoping she bucks Ford Family tradition. He made the decision to undertake a rebuild when it was not needed. Caldwell was going to be a perennial mediocre coach doing the 7-9 to 10-6 game and getting bounced in the Wild Card round when making the playoffs. Lions needed a guy to take them to the next level and Patricia set the team back years. He may find success in the future but needs to come in when a team is at bottom and the players buy into a rebuild.

I do not want Bieniemy. We took a fly with an untested system coach and handing the reigns over to another could be a huge mistake. Bieniemy is running Reid's system and he stepped into an offense lead by a kid that is the future of the NFL. Lions need a guy that has been a head coach before or one that has a more independent role in developing an offense or defense.

A dream scenario for me would be Ozzie Newsome running the show for a few years and building a front office he wants to take over. Lions need a proven football mind running the show.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Stafford is healthy, this team should be winning more games. That's the bottom line. You have easily the second best QB in the division and it's still a struggle to keep up with the Vikings and Bears. That's insane.

Stafford is being wasted as bad as Barry and Calvin.

Listen to what Rodgers had to say this week about Stafford.

Huge praise and respect.

The Bears might have a couple of super bowls if they had Stafford under center.

I just feel bad for the Lions. I've been to a couple of games back where they were in Pontiac and they were just deflating experiences. One game they were up by 4 with a minute left, they punted, the other team was pinned down inside the 20 and...the whole place expected the Lions to lose. And they did. Maybe this comes across as kicking the Lions or fans but even as a Bears fan I want to see them get some good people in and be a legitimately good team.

It's just crazy to me that Wayne Fontes might be the best coach the Lions have had in my lifetime.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I just feel bad for the Lions.
I don't.

This is a franchise with exactly one playoff victory in the last 62 seasons (about to be 63). And with the deadly combination of ineptitude of ownership and a guaranteed continuation of profit, there's no path to change.

While I have no idea if the decisions will ultimately pan out, look how quickly Troy Weaver changed the entire landscape of the Pistons. There's a clear plan, and major changes happened immediately. You put a real front office in place, and a team can change their fortunes in just a few years.

Now contrast that with the Lions, who have hired guys like Matt Millen (who they ended up giving an extension to!) and Bob Quinn. Ownership surrounds themselves with yes men and has no idea what they're doing. But the fans keep watching and the revenue checks keep flying in.

When it comes to the NFL, I'm loyal to two things: watching the playoffs and running my fantasy football team. Neither of which usually have anything to do with the Lions.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't.

This is a franchise with exactly one playoff victory in the last 62 seasons (about to be 63). And with the deadly combination of ineptitude of ownership and a guaranteed continuation of profit, there's no path to change.

While I have no idea if the decisions will ultimately pan out, look how quickly Troy Weaver changed the entire landscape of the Pistons. There's a clear plan, and major changes happened immediately. You put a real front office in place, and a team can change their fortunes in just a few years.

Now contrast that with the Lions, who have hired guys like Matt Millen (who they ended up giving an extension to!) and Bob Quinn. Ownership surrounds themselves with yes men and has no idea what they're doing. But the fans keep watching and the revenue checks keep flying in.

When it comes to the NFL, I'm loyal to two things: watching the playoffs and running my fantasy football team. Neither of which usually have anything to do with the Lions.

Fair enough. It's not really the Lions I feel bad for but their fans. We can talk about people not showing up, not buying the merch, etc., but it's their team and football seasons are really short.

The Fords might not deserve better, but the fans do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad