OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
So we collectively expect the Red Wings, Tigers and the Pistons to each have one transition season left (perhaps with post-season in sight) and to take off into serious contention with their newly built cores afterwards? Too bad I can't write similar stuff about the Lions (although I like their direction).

Only pick not signed in their top 11 is the Pitcher from Alabama
Dylan Smith has signed as well. While he gets less praise than Jobe, Madden or Pacheco, many saw him as early to mid 2nd round material.

For me, this draft class look like "The Four Horsemen and several dark horses": The top four picks come with quite some expectations, the rest is a bit from beyond.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: Konnan511

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wait... After Cade, the Pistons got both Livers AND Garza?

Troy Weaver, you bad bad man.

This franchise will be a lot fun to watch for the next several years.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Pistons have a ton of salary becoming freed up next season. Look for them to spend this year developing their young core (hayes, stew, bey) and meshing them with Grant and now Cade. Next year look for them to make use of that big cap space - it may be the year to go all in with these guys still on cheap contracts. Hopefully we show a ton of potential this year and cant attract a big name FA to push us into being actual contenders... cade is certainly a guy that may attract talent.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
upload_2021-7-30_10-15-9.png

NBA Draft 2021 Picks by Round - ESPN Draftcast

JFC I feel like these billionaire owners are going to make me quit being a sports fan one day...

But whatever. I'm definitely tryna get to that home opener.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
It's been almost 15 years since their last playoff win, I don't blame the owners for wanting to see a winner out there.

That's all well and good but you don't trade a talent like Cade only to be in 8 seed purgatory.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
View attachment 457989

NBA Draft 2021 Picks by Round - ESPN Draftcast

JFC I feel like these billionaire owners are going to make me quit being a sports fan one day...

But whatever. I'm definitely tryna get to that home opener.
Thankfully Weaver is a great GM, and he will only have to keep Gores from meddling for another year or two before they both get what they want.

Seriously...the most (and fastest) turnover of any NBA franchise, and after ONE YEAR ownership is asking how soon they can contend. Stick to your t-shirt gun, Tom, and let the professionals run the show.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
That's all well and good but you don't trade a talent like Cade only to be in 8 seed purgatory.
Agreed, but I understand the owners being annoyed that the team hasn't won a playoff series in almost 15 years. That's what I got out of that message/tweet, and it's 100% justifiable, they want to see a winner as bad as us.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Thankfully Weaver is a great GM, and he will only have to keep Gores from meddling for another year or two before they both get what they want.

Seriously...the most (and fastest) turnover of any NBA franchise, and after ONE YEAR ownership is asking how soon they can contend. Stick to your t-shirt gun, Tom, and let the professionals run the show.

Not gonna lie- Weaver makes some weird ass moves, man. Some of them you see the somewhat long game he played where it appears to work in his favor. He traded a future first for Isaiah Stewart, a traditional center, in a league that's moving away from his type and it's like, "...Ok..." but the dude is the main reason why I watched a 20-win season. The final cost for that move is still TBD but it's looking good today.

The Plumlee deal that he had to make yesterday is probably a good example of one that didn't really work out that well but the end cost wasn't horrible either, I guess. The Plumlee tenure in general was weird. They have that cap space now, but overall it's like... Why? What was the idea there?

Agreed, but I understand the owners being annoyed that the team hasn't won a playoff series in almost 15 years. That's what I got out of that message/tweet, and it's 100% justifiable, they want to see a winner as bad as us.

Since the Blake Griffin trade I've been super sensitive to the image of Gores and his group only wanting modest playoff revenue and not really caring about investing into sustained winning. And anytime I hear that the ownership group is antsy it's like, ugh... Shouldn't you jerks be coked out on a yacht somewhere?

Reactions: jkutswings

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
So we collectively expect the Red Wings, Tigers and the Pistons to each have one transition season left (perhaps with post-season in sight) and to take off into serious contention with their newly built cores afterwards? Too bad I can't write similar stuff about the Lions (although I like their direction).

Dylan Smith has signed as well. While he gets less praise than Jobe, Madden or Pacheco, many saw him as early to mid 2nd round material.

For me, this draft class look like "The Four Horsemen and several dark horses": The top four picks come with quite some expectations, the rest is a bit from beyond.

Gruß,
BSHH
All picks for Tigers are signed

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
This one will be too rich for my blood to go all in on.

Joe Dumars will be at an autograph signing in Livonia in late August and I just have to go. I missed out on getting his autograph twice as a kid so I'm trying to make 8-year old and 11 year old me happy. I'm exploring all my options here but will probably go with a flat item.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Joe Dumars will be at an autograph signing in Livonia in late August and I just have to go. I missed out on getting his autograph twice as a kid so I'm trying to make 8-year old and 11 year old me happy. I'm exploring all my options here but will probably go with a flat item.
Nice. Years ago my uncle took me to a card shop in Livonia to meet Slava Kozlov and Keith Primeau.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Why? Detroit Free Press (Detroit Pistons add center Kelly Olynyk on 3-year, $37 million deal)

All he's going to do is make us get close to making the playoffs two years in a row and then bounce. Save the money and get another lottery pick.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Why? Detroit Free Press (Detroit Pistons add center Kelly Olynyk on 3-year, $37 million deal)

All he's going to do is make us get close to making the playoffs two years in a row and then bounce. Save the money and get another lottery pick.

I don't love it but he's actually not THAT kind of signing. He'll be quite useful though.

Team option on the 3rd year too, which is mitigating to say the least.

That AAV isn't horrible overall but for him that has full on "Detroit Pistons tax". They're rebuilding the reputation as an organization and that's apparently the price they have to pay.

I want them to compete for the play-in next year. I don't want Cade to be around too much losing.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Pistons are done with being the ass end of the league I would think

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Last year could be an outlier. So if he returns to the 10 ppg again he’s really not gonna be a big help for wins.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Just started watching basketball recently, so I'm still trying to understand the game like the rules, etc., but I was super excited when the Pistons won the draft lottery after hearing all the buzz around Cunningham. Anyways, kind of a weird question, but what fairly recent NHL first overall pick would be considered to be the NBA equivalent talent as Cade in the draft? Just trying to get an understanding of the caliber player Cade is/could be.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Just started watching basketball recently, so I'm still trying to understand the game like the rules, etc., but I was super excited when the Pistons won the draft lottery after hearing all the buzz around Cunningham. Anyways, kind of a weird question, but what fairly recent NHL first overall pick would be considered to be the NBA equivalent talent as Cade in the draft? Just trying to get an understanding of the caliber player Cade is/could be.

Here are some attributes about Cade and their hockey equivalent (if applicable):

-Primary ball/puck handler
-Makes you play at his pace
-High game IQ
-Not a freakishly fast or athletic but still great speed and athleticism
-Takes pride in the defensive end
-Good shooter
-Good playmaker
-Takes pride in leadership and bringing teammates together

Because this is a Wings forum I can't help but think of Henrik Zetterberg, even though he wasn't a 1st round pick.

For a non-Wings player... Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron maybe.

Cade isn't like a Crosby or McDavid, sensationally speaking.

Reactions: Christien

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

As far as impact on the franchise type levels I would say hes a high end, not generational first overall pick. Some have said hes the best player to come out the last decade since Anthony Davis. So like Stamkos pre injury or John Tavares maybe and not quite the McDavid/Crosby/Ovechkin generational level.

Reactions: Christien
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->