OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He's had to stock the farm system nearly from the ground up, Ilitch isn't willing to spend to give him much help on the parent club, and there's nothing really there to deal for other pieces outside of maybe Matt Boyd.

The first two have blame elsewhere, but after this amount of time, the last one is on Avila. They were his trades that sent the few assets he inherited and ended up getting next to nothing in return.

Reactions: Konnan511

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Their 7th rounder is expected to take Johnson’s playing time...hard to believe they couldn’t trade him for something

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The first two have blame elsewhere, but after this amount of time, the last one is on Avila. They were his trades that sent the few assets he inherited and ended up getting next to nothing in return.

Go back and look at the deals avila made and put them into context with the deals made around the league at the same time. What Avila pulled back wasn't out of line with what similar pieces were getting across the league. We still don't know what we'll get out of Wilkel Hernandez, Elvin Rodriguez, or Isaac Paredes. Willi Castro is at least in the majors and has a chance. Candelario is looking like a player. The Tigers had some bad luck with Franklin Perez and Wentz on the injury front but I think Wentz will start moving up the organization again. It'll help to have a normal minor league season for these guys to start playing again.

We walk away from those deals with 2-3 major leaguers we probably did well.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm not saying Avila should have gotten extra players in each deal, or that for a given deal he should have landed a Tier 1 guy instead of a Tier 2. On paper things weren't ridiculously out of whack at the time.

But maybe he just chose the wrong Tier 2 guys. Or just stinks at developing them. When other teams have started rebuilding after you and are much farther along - while your assets have thus far resulted in a roster that's on pace to shatter the worst reason in the history of the sport - then at least SOME of the blame has to go past, "the cupboard was bare" and fall on the general manager's decisions once he took over.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not saying Avila should have gotten extra players in each deal, or that for a given deal he should have landed a Tier 1 guy instead of a Tier 2. On paper things weren't ridiculously out of whack at the time.

But maybe he just chose the wrong Tier 2 guys. Or just stinks at developing them. When other teams have started rebuilding after you and are much farther along - while your assets have thus far resulted in a roster that's on pace to shatter the worst reason in the history of the sport - then at least SOME of the blame has to go past, "the cupboard was bare" and fall on the general manager's decisions once he took over.

Maybe, but I'd still wonder how often these trades result in MLBers for every team. I'm sure there were other guys offered somewhere along the line, but I'm not sure how many GMs would knock more of these trades entirely out of the park and if we're really complaining about him not being the best rather than an average GM.

I still say a lot comes back to money and perception. If Avilia was able to just spend the equivilant in Miggy's salary on top of what's already signed we have $100m roster, still barely among the top20 in the league. But it's also another $30m that could have upgraded the every day lineup in a serious way. Maybe the signings would all implode and be awful (it's happened with Schoop so far) but I think it's more likely we have something better than what we've been running out every day, we will have scored a few more runs, probably won a few more games, etc. I mean, it's not like the White Sox aren't spending $118m on their 26 man payroll right now. The twins are spending $122m. Even the Royals are spending $86m.

hell, if we just spent up to the Royals and adding $10m in talent to the lineup that could be a significant upgrade over some of the stuff we're running out there every day.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

It's a bad situation, but that particular nugget means nothing.

They lost Tim Boyle to the Lions so they were always going to be looking for a 3rd string QB. They have nobody else on the roster signed. But of course the timing of signing a new QB in the middle of this feud makes for juicy headlines, no doubt.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's a bad situation, but that particular nugget means nothing.

They lost Tim Boyle to the Lions so they were always going to be looking for a 3rd string QB. They have nobody else on the roster signed. But of course the timing of signing a new QB in the middle of this feud makes for juicy headlines, no doubt.
True. But the smoke continues:

Packers Exploring List of Quarterbacks to Sign | Sports Illustrated Detroit Lions News, Analysis and More

"The saga involving Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers took an ugly turn on Wednesday, when it was reported that the veteran quarterback has mocked general manager Brian Gutekunst in group chats with his teammates."

"Rodgers reportedly referred to the GM as Jerry Krause. Recall, the controversial Chicago Bulls executive was largely responsible for making personnel moves that Bulls legend Michael Jordan disagreed with, which led to the eventual breakup of the Bulls dynasty."

The personnel moves may have already been planned. But this looks more and more like an upcoming divorce between the two sides.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
True. But the smoke continues:

Packers Exploring List of Quarterbacks to Sign | Sports Illustrated Detroit Lions News, Analysis and More

"The saga involving Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers took an ugly turn on Wednesday, when it was reported that the veteran quarterback has mocked general manager Brian Gutekunst in group chats with his teammates."

"Rodgers reportedly referred to the GM as Jerry Krause. Recall, the controversial Chicago Bulls executive was largely responsible for making personnel moves that Bulls legend Michael Jordan disagreed with, which led to the eventual breakup of the Bulls dynasty."

The personnel moves may have already been planned. But this looks more and more like an upcoming divorce between the two sides.

Trust me, I've seen everything.

What we know now is the Packers aren't budging and want to work it out. If a trade happens it won't be until June 1st due to cap reasons, so prepare for another month of rumors.

John Kuhn, old friend of Aaron, said there's a 70% chance they work things out and he stays in Green Bay. That's leaning one way, but 30% is nothing to shake a stick at. So I'm ready for any outcome, honestly. If Love is the guy, hey let's get at it. If Aaron wants to work it out, awesome.

Edit: Missed this update from buddy James Jones. Jones is the former teammate that was allowed to break the Rodgers contract extension in 2018. He's become Rodgers mouthpiece in many ways.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
just think, the pack could have just signed Trubiskey earlier in the off-season and mitigated all of these worries.

That would have been smart thinking. We already know he's a big fan.

trubisky.0.png

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Since I got tagged for Rodgers drama, figured I'd throw this here. As sports fans, I'm sure any of you will find this situation interesting in regards to how stories are reported in the media.

The long and the short of it is that Adam Schefter chose draft day to break the story. He didn't have any source that day. He didn't get any new information. He knew there was a disagreement with the Packers and Rodgers and he picked one of the most high profile days of the year to make it seem like SOMEONE wanted this story out that day. But it was just him.

Pretty scummy in my book, but hey, he certainly got the attention he wanted when the cameras were on.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Since I got tagged for Rodgers drama, figured I'd throw this here. As sports fans, I'm sure any of you will find this situation interesting in regards to how stories are reported in the media.

The long and the short of it is that Adam Schefter chose draft day to break the story. He didn't have any source that day. He didn't get any new information. He knew there was a disagreement with the Packers and Rodgers and he picked one of the most high profile days of the year to make it seem like SOMEONE wanted this story out that day. But it was just him.

Pretty scummy in my book, but hey, he certainly got the attention he wanted when the cameras were on.

Not enough backlash for Schefter and ESPN fabricating a story. His own Tweet was "league and teams sources told ESPN on Thursday". Dan did a solid job of letting Schefter hang himself during the interview.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not enough backlash for Schefter and ESPN fabricating a story. His own Tweet was "league and teams sources told ESPN on Thursday". Dan did a solid job of letting Schefter hang himself during the interview.

Yeah, that's the damning part for sure. He's there saying he got word ON DRAFT DAY from sources. But he didn't.

So the entire draft coverage was revolving around this notion Aaron Rodgers was trying to force a trade and create a headache for the Packers. And to be honest, that's what I thought was happening at the time.

Rodgers may still want to leave at the end of all this, there's obviously some serious contract talks being had, but how all this information was presented for the last week is way more dramatic than the actual narrative now coming out from those close to Aaron.

And certainly not the first time Schefter has been known to fabricate details. Clay straight up called him a rat.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Schefter is a piece of shit. Something like this should damn well take away any credibility you have. It won't because people just see Schefter and he's on ESPN's payroll so they're going to keep trotting him out there too... but we gotta improve our reporting on things. If you have a demonstrably false news story put out there that you fabricated, you should see some big time blowback.

BORTLES! Will the Jacksonville Jaguars ever win the Super Bowl?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Schefter is a piece of shit. Something like this should damn well take away any credibility you have. It won't because people just see Schefter and he's on ESPN's payroll so they're going to keep trotting him out there too... but we gotta improve our reporting on things. If you have a demonstrably false news story put out there that you fabricated, you should see some big time blowback.

BORTLES! Will the Jacksonville Jaguars ever win the Super Bowl?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Winger98

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009

EDIT: Funny how Cecil Fielder didn't really know who Stevie was and Barry didn't really know who Cecil Fielder was, haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->