Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What on this planet makes anybody optimistic about this Michigan team?

Harbaugh has never won his conference in college and I know people like to point to the 49ers but frankly he had the greatest linebacking core in the history of the league and came up short in a big game there too. I just don't get why people keep buying in on the guy. Is he an awful coach, no absolutely not. But he isn't a good coach either and there were somehow people picking them as a playoff team.

I guess for a lot of us outside of the U of M fanbase, they are who we thought they were. Another big game and another big loss for a Harbaugh coached team...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Just running all over them, can't stop shit. 10 yard run with holding makes 1st and 20, nbd 24 yard run. Next play 10 yard run. Next play first down pass.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Harbaugh has never won his conference in college and I know people like to point to the 49ers but frankly he had the greatest linebacking core in the history of the league and came up short in a big game there too. I just don't get why people keep buying in on the guy. Is he an awful coach, no absolutely not. But he isn't a good coach either and there were somehow people picking them as a playoff team.

I guess for a lot of us outside of the U of M fanbase, they are who we thought they were. Another big game and another big loss for a Harbaugh coached team...
Luckily the first 2 games made it easy to see they weren't shit and would lose this game, just was hoping it would be within 10, this is pathetic.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think the first kid was targeting at all, but at least by the book I understand chucking #25. The other kid clearly doesn't understand just because you crush somebody with your shoulder doesn't mean you are given cart-blanche to attempt killing a guy with your shoulder. Honestly agree with the color guy that there needs to be a couple different forms. Would give #2 a whole game next week and not just a half, that was incredibly reckless.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The first one the kid was put in a precarious spot for sure, by the book he hit him in the helmet with the crown of his helmet so I guess he had to go. I don't think it warranted it at all. I agree with having 2 types.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Pearson should sit two more games for that hit. I hate that crap. It's dangerous and it screws your team.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm not going to say today wasn't awesome for me but I'm not here to pile on. I'm actually pretty dismayed Michigan looks so inept under Harbaugh. With MSU weakened the past couple years it's given tOSU a cakewalk to a B1g title.

If I have a coach that is getting paid more than Urban Mayer and Jimbo Fisher I would be expecting similar results. Hell, I'd at least be expecting Brian Kelly results. I had hopes Harbaugh would make the B1g more balanced.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Mark Dantonio's seat has to be extremely hot at this point. MSU football is back to irrelevance.

I was going to say this is awesome and chirp but I didn’t went to be embarrassed after watching U of M stink it up

I'm not going to say today wasn't awesome for me but I'm not here to pile on. I'm actually pretty dismayed Michigan looks so inept under Harbaugh. With MSU weakened the past couple years it's given tOSU a cakewalk to a B1g title.

If I have a coach that is getting paid more than Urban Mayer and Jimbo Fisher I would be expecting similar results. Hell, I'd at least be expecting Brian Kelly results. I had hopes Harbaugh would make the B1g more balanced.

Nah I like the trash talk between the two things and when it’s in good fun but man some people take it too far. People getting thrown out of games no matter if they’re playing in Lansing or Detroit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They finished third in the B1G and in the top 15 two years ago. I am sick of wasting a playoff caliber defense with an above average MAC offense though for sure... At Ohio State and then at Wisconsin is a pretty ridiculous ask. I am fascinated to watch their rush defense against Taylor, it is where Barkley's Heisman hopes went to die. I think they likely vault Taylor's chances as his kind of patient running is what has worked on the better MSU defenses in the past.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Retirement coming?

This could provide some payroll relief for the Tigers depending on the insurance situation.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I hope he goes for at least 1 more year. They aren't challenging for the division next year, and if he even just repeats this year again next year he will pass like 15 more players in the all time hit list putting him at about 15.

Plus he's the only true star name on that roster.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It really sucks how fast injuries took their toll on miggy. People slam his deal all of the time, but no one expected him to just fall apart like this. He went from a 5 war player to a negative war over night.

Reactions: mantha39

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tigers clinch #1 pick

Tigers have been doing pretty well with their top picks, too. Greene didn't have a bad cup of coffee this year, and Manning/Faedo/Mize have been a pretty darn good group of pitchers coming up through the system. Hope the Tigers get a big piece of their future here.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I watched parts of both Lions games. It looks like Tavai (sp?) is pretty solid so far. Just wondering if any critics of that pick are warming up to him? I remember a lot of people (locally) reaching for their xanax bottles when that pick was made.

Hes been really, really good through 3 games. Generating a lot of pressure on opposing Qbs and that forced fumble basically saved the game against the Chargers. I was very wait and see on him but he already looks worth that pick.

Let's be honest, if any team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt... Well it is the Detroit Lions. I hated the pick and I hate the excuse was well the Patriots were going to take him. Fine whatever, I hope he is successful. Glad at least Patricia trotted out having that kind of size was important to his scheme because that should have been the lead, not that the Patriots like him. They figured out how to use Van Noy as well, so you need more than that explanation.

If people cant separate Matt Millen from Bob Quinn I guess thats true but the lions have been really good at the draft table since Quinn took over. From his first draft in 2016 the first 5 picks are all playing solid to major roles on the team. His second draft he missed on Tabor big time but he picked major contributors in the first, third, fourth and fifth rounds including a first team all pro in the 5th round. His 2018 draft, EVERY single player is on the roster. The first 3 picks from that draft all look like they could be players near the top of their position in a year or two and the fourth and fifth pick (Crosby, Hand) look like they could play really solid roles (Hand could be even better than that). Now, from 2019 the first pick had the best debut for a tight end ever and Tavai has been really good playing massive minutes and a 6th rounder has caused CJ Anderson to be cut and stolen the job of second string running back.

Bob Quinn has been really good at drafting. Say what you want about the team but Quinn can draft. Anyone who was freaking out over that pick before a game played looked as bad as people on this forum complaining about Larkin and Bertuzzi picks. There were some credible sources saying the Patriots had some serious interest in him as a prospect (literally same thing with Bertuzzi happened) but people still called it a reach and they wore egg on their face

Tigers have been doing pretty well with their top picks, too. Greene didn't have a bad cup of coffee this year, and Manning/Faedo/Mize have been a pretty darn good group of pitchers coming up through the system. Hope the Tigers get a big piece of their future here.

You follow baseball a lot more than I do so what is the top of the next draft looking like? I know the pitchers have been really good but the tigers seem to lack positional players. Is there a stud non-pitcher going first overall this draft?

Reactions: Konnan511

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Don’t forget Skubal...they need some good lefties

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hes been really, really good through 3 games. Generating a lot of pressure on opposing Qbs and that forced fumble basically saved the game against the Chargers. I was very wait and see on him but he already looks worth that pick.

If people cant separate Matt Millen from Bob Quinn I guess thats true but the lions have been really good at the draft table since Quinn took over. From his first draft in 2016 the first 5 picks are all playing solid to major roles on the team. His second draft he missed on Tabor big time but he picked major contributors in the first, third, fourth and fifth rounds including a first team all pro in the 5th round. His 2018 draft, EVERY single player is on the roster. The first 3 picks from that draft all look like they could be players near the top of their position in a year or two and the fourth and fifth pick (Crosby, Hand) look like they could play really solid roles (Hand could be even better than that). Now, from 2019 the first pick had the best debut for a tight end ever and Tavai has been really good playing massive minutes and a 6th rounder has caused CJ Anderson to be cut and stolen the job of second string running back.

Bob Quinn has been really good at drafting. Say what you want about the team but Quinn can draft. Anyone who was freaking out over that pick before a game played looked as bad as people on this forum complaining about Larkin and Bertuzzi picks. There were some credible sources saying the Patriots had some serious interest in him as a prospect (literally same thing with Bertuzzi happened) but people still called it a reach and they wore egg on their face

You follow baseball a lot more than I do so what is the top of the next draft looking like? I know the pitchers have been really good but the tigers seem to lack positional players. Is there a stud non-pitcher going first overall this draft?

They used the same exact logic to defend Teez Tabor too... Probably the worst pick of the Quinn era. Oh but the Patriots liked him... You reference it but just saying when you use the logic when it fails it hurts using it later. I just would rather they go with it the way Patricia did in terms of actually selling me on the pick a little earlier.

I would say the Wings did themselves a disservice with how they sold the Rasmussen pick recently as well. People look at it as a safe pick in part because of what they said instead of really selling the pick as the homerun cut I have heard from several people that it was. It was bad messaging.

Sorry @newfy I think the problem is the Ford family. It isn't Millen, the Lions were an unmitigated disaster before Millen as well. They have won a single playoff game since the late 50's. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt no matter who is in charge until they are actually good they will continue to be the butt of jokes and whatever else, they have earned that role through decades of futility and ineptitude...

I don't necessarily hate his drafting, but we also need a few more homeruns in there. We shall see, again I cannot help but approach that team with as much caution as humanly possible.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Spencer Torkelson is a 20 yr old right handed first baseman out of Arizona State whose been talked about going that high. There's also a high school kid, Blaze Jordan. He'll be 17 at the draft, because pushed his graduation up a year. Before pushing his graduation up a year he was the early favorite to go 1st in 2021. Torkelson is probably more of a sure thing just because he's a bit more mature, faced tougher competition, etc. Jordan has a higher ceiling, though, and just crazy power.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Spencer Torkelson is a 20 yr old right handed first baseman out of Arizona State whose been talked about going that high. There's also a high school kid, Blaze Jordan. He'll be 17 at the draft, because pushed his graduation up a year. Before pushing his graduation up a year he was the early favorite to go 1st in 2021. Torkelson is probably more of a sure thing just because he's a bit more mature, faced tougher competition, etc. Jordan has a higher ceiling, though, and just crazy power.
Good God, just read a few things on that kid, he's in the 99.9%tile for hitting. This is the guy I want. He was hitting 500 ft bombs as a 15 year old!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They used the same exact logic to defend Teez Tabor too... Probably the worst pick of the Quinn era. Oh but the Patriots liked him... You reference it but just saying when you use the logic when it fails it hurts using it later. I just would rather they go with it the way Patricia did in terms of actually selling me on the pick a little earlier.

I would say the Wings did themselves a disservice with how they sold the Rasmussen pick recently as well. People look at it as a safe pick in part because of what they said instead of really selling the pick as the homerun cut I have heard from several people that it was. It was bad messaging.

Sorry @newfy I think the problem is the Ford family. It isn't Millen, the Lions were an unmitigated disaster before Millen as well. They have won a single playoff game since the late 50's. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt no matter who is in charge until they are actually good they will continue to be the butt of jokes and whatever else, they have earned that role through decades of futility and ineptitude...

I don't necessarily hate his drafting, but we also need a few more homeruns in there. We shall see, again I cannot help but approach that team with as much caution as humanly possible.

I understand the Fords havent helped themselves any but Marthas a little different than her William Clay Ford was as well. As soon as she took over she gutted the front office pretty good, something WCF would never do. I get you want to have caution with a team like that and whatever but you have to look at guys on their own merit. Bob Quinn was brought in to draft, the Fords dont make those picks. Hes had 4 drafts or so to evaluate how he is as a drafter and Tabor is the only bad pick (I also dont remember anyone tying Tabor to the Pats for the record). He was a second rounder so its not like he was an absolute guarantee to make it anyways.

Essentially since Martha took over the Lions have had 3 winning seasons out of last 4 plus this year starting off well. It really isnt the same old lions as much as people want to still rag on them. Yes, I dont have full faith in them to be a contender or anything like that until they actually do it but theyve been good the last 5 years and Quinn has been a stud at the draft. You dont need to give the Lions the benefit of the doubt as a team, but if you cant give it to Quinn as a draft/player evaluator than youre like an old man yelling at the clouds. Quinn (or the Fords) have nothing to do with Mayhew taking guys like Tomlinson or Ebron or Ryan Broyles or Titus Young or Van Noy or Abdullah etc etc in the first or second rounds. in 4 drafts Quinn has Tabor as a bad second round pick, every other second round pick has basically been a day one starter. Hell all his 3rd rounders have been day one contributors outside of the safety they took last draft so far.

Sure approach with caution, but theres gotta be some logic there as well and hating the Tavai pick is no different than guys wearing egg on their face for Larkin or Bertuzzi. It was reactionary BS that a bunch of people got caught up in when they havent hardly seen the guys play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad