OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VII: NFC North Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
It's not that it really even was a bad pick. The Lions can't run the ball nor really even protect Stafford.

The problem is that they didn't trade down. That's what makes it bad.
I agree with your points except I don't think it was a bad pick at that spot. I think it's a good Puck at that spot, that could have been a great pick a few spots later with a trade. But with Cincinnati apparently looking at the same spot I guess they just decided they wanted their guy.

Reactions: izlez

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I love the stat that in 2,600 snaps he never once gave up a sac. It wasn’t a sexy pick but it’s a great pick for building the foundation of a successful offense. I’m certainly not going to complain with having more protection for Matthew.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
It's not that it really even was a bad pick. The Lions can't run the ball nor really even protect Stafford.

The Lions obviously wanted that player. Most agree that drafting a center filled a need; Ragnow was the most lauded center. the Bengals drafted a center at 21, so trading down and still getting Ragnow would have been difficult. At least for now, the pick is widely considered to be at least good: Frank Ragnow grades out as 'B' pick for Lions from NFL draft analysts

Gruß,
BSHH

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
bengals would've likely taken ragnow had he been there. bengals radio guy predicted bengals would take him. he's been right on most of their picks the past decade or so. and at least one miss was because the guy got taken before the bengals.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

If they trade down they dont get him, so no its not bad because of that. He would've been gone 21st overall or 23rd overall as well by the sounds of it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure how there can be ten teams worse than the Tigers in MLB this year. That's just crazy. I'm sure the Tigers will get worse as the season goes on, but a lot of teams seem really determined to be really bad this season.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure how there can be ten teams worse than the Tigers in MLB this year. That's just crazy. I'm sure the Tigers will get worse as the season goes on, but a lot of teams seem really determined to be really bad this season.
We are 3 games out of the division lead a month into the season... I have no idea how or why.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We are 3 games out of the division lead a month into the season... I have no idea how or why.

It's not just that the Tigers are only three games out - Cleveland has just underperformed a bit - but that they aren't even close to being the worst team in their division, let alone the league. Chicago is pacing out for 46 wins this year. KC for 43. I have to believe the Tigers are going to slide a bit more, but if KC, Chicago, and Minny don't improve a bit...the Tigers might rack up more wins than expected just because those guys are potentially so awful.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Obviously the MLB Draft get less attention, but I would not have expected such a silence here. Today the Tigers will draft first overall.

It seems to me that RHP Casey Mize is almost universally considered the BPA, so I really hope thie Tigers take him. While their prospect ranks are overcrowded with RHP, except for Burrows all these prospects are either injured (Perez, Long, Garcia, Foley and the now-released Moreno) or having a somewhat disappointing start (including Manning, Faedo and Funkhouser). Detroit's systems needs impact position players dearly and C Joey Bart looks really tempting after Rogers' terrible start for AA Erie, but I still hope they don't pass on Mize - you can never have enough pitching, they always say...

Getting a new future frontline starter (although Mize is not projected to become an "ace") could be more valuable if the Tigers were to trade Fulmer. But he is in a nasty slump right now, which already must have taken a toll on his trade value. Whereas Boyd continues to shine, but certainly won't bring back a huge return right now - neither will Liriano, Fiers or Martin, who are off to good seasons themselves. Let's hope Greene improves to his 2017 performance and attracts a generous contender!

Although bat-first players have less demand nowadays (although J.D. Martinez punished all those stingy other contenders by mashing for Arizona), the Tigers have come into an interesting situation with Castellanos. He is hitting very well (and I am positive that his slugging will even improve), so he will draw interest from other teams. But if the market stays lukewarm like it was last summer, the Tigers might be better of to sing him to some multi-year $ 15m-ish extension. On the other hand, Stewart seems to be a similar bat-first slugger (albeit in LF) and Cabrera will also need to be DH more often. That seems to be the most challenging question throughout this currently refreshing season.

Gruß,
BSHH

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If they take anyone other than Mize I'd be shocked. I think the guy is just far and away the #1 pick at this point.

And I hope we hang onto Castellanos. If we are going to deal him, we may as well deal everyone on the roster because only Jimenez and that kid they grabbed in the Rule V are much younger. With Martinez gone after this season, that will open up the DH spot to rotate guys in and out how we want, and I wouldn't mind just giving Stewart LF next year, even if it means losing Martin. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone in the minors who project to be the sort of bat that Castellanos is, and he hasn't been a disaster in the outfield. Maybe it's a bit old fashioned, but I like keeping that sort of guy in the lineup.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Tigers need position players but they are in no position to reach. Take the supposed sure thing and hope it works out.

Stewart, much like Castellanos, should be a full time DH. Having both in the OF just reeks of a disaster. Cabrera hopefully will at least be a part-time DH next year with Stewart getting the other reps. Unless he can't hack it.

If they're planning to move Castellanos, it will have to be in the offseason or at the deadline. The sooner, the better. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed with the return.

This team still isn't any good. Nor will be for the next couple years. But they also are far more enjoyable to watch than the past few years and could continue to surprise like they have so far.

The focus needs to be continue building up the farm system and dumpster dive.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Castellanos's defense is being underrated here. He was horrible at third. He wasn't great last year, but he's still making strides. He's never going to be a gold glover, but he can hold down a spot in right field.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Mize it was (the boringly consensus BPA), so I am happy. While I am generally wary of position players with a questionable hit tool, Parker Meadows seems to be a pick with quite some upside at 2-1, who mlb.com should rank as best or second-best OF prospect.

Now at 3-1, the highest-ranked prospects are RHPs once again (albeit some come with signability questions). I still hope, the Tigers draft the BPA (which includes signability), because I think that
- the organisation has accumulated a lot of promising OFs (like Cameron, Stewart, V. Reyes, Robson and the still youngish Hill, whose hitting has surged),
- the never-ending pipeline of Hispanic SSs will inevitably spawn a few good middle INFs,
- corner INFs are usually easier/cheaper to acquire via trade or free agency and
- pitchers currently yield the best trade returns.

The system may still lack top position player prospects. That's why I tend to prefer an extension for Castellanos - and hope for nice trade offers for Tigers pitchers.

Gruß,
BSHH

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Tigers select Kody Clemens...son of Roger...Big 12 player of the year and hit 2 bombs the other night at n the CWS

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Tigers have 5 or 6 guys still playing n the CWS this weekend including Mize and Clemens

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
There are somehow six teams with a worse record than the Tigers going into the AS break. Two of them are in the AL Central.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Mel Pearson is pretty fortunate to be getting Hughes back this year. It will give him a buffer to restock the blue line after losing commitments from Bode Wilde, Alec Regula and Matias Samuelson (ouch!). Man, that would've been a stacked D corp.

At any rate, I'm happy to get another year of watching Hughes at The Yost. He's probably the most exciting player I've ever seen in the NCAA. He should be a Hobey Baker candidate easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad