OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VII: NFC North Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
07 lions have company.

good for them. misery loves it.

at least the lions fired the HC after that. browns are keeping theirs. LMAO.

It was '08.

Browns are keeping Jackson because he isn't the problem. Ownership has shuffled GM's. GM's have shuffled coaches. There's been no stability and that is something they're finally trying to change.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It was '08.

Browns are keeping Jackson because he isn't the problem. Ownership has shuffled GM's. GM's have shuffled coaches. There's been no stability and that is something they're finally trying to change.

The roster should have at least 1-2 wins a year. Jackson isn’t a good coach or at least not the right one for Cleveland.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bye Caldwell. One of the better lions coaches (wow super hard to do) but he wasn’t good enough. Not making the playoffs is embarrassing (and not getting 10 wins with this schedule)

Reactions: Konnan511

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
UM really needs to temper their attempts at taunting. Nordin's crotch grab is up there with the ill-advised spike planting to inspire their opponents to humiliate them. Still, outside of today, it was a great showing for The B1g.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
UM really needs to temper their attempts at taunting. Nordin's crotch grab is up there with the ill-advised spike planting to inspire their opponents to humiliate them. Still, outside of today, it was a great showing for The B1g.
U of M would be the one Big 10 team to lose.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Brutal season for my Pack, but thanks to an embarrassing season they are cleaning house. Defensive coordinator Capers fired and Thompson is stepping down as GM and moving to a new job in the organization.

Basically it's the exact outcome I hope happens for the Red Wings this off-season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Brutal season for my Pack, but thanks to an embarrassing season they are cleaning house. Defensive coordinator Capers fired and Thompson is stepping down as GM and moving to a new job in the organization.

Basically it's the exact outcome I hope happens for the Red Wings this off-season.

You want Blashill to survive and Doug Houda to be fired?:sarcasm::laugh:

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I called it. Harbaugh needs to go. That loss is on the level of losing to Minnesota, Iowa
The incompetence & ineptitude of this season falls on Harbaugh & Drevno, for an atrocious offense all year long. Drevno should be fired asap, and Harbaugh on the hot seat in 2018. Harbaugh needs to go back to hiring an experienced OC that calls the plays himself, rather than he, himself doing it, because quite frankly, he sucks at it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The incompetence & ineptitude of this season falls on Harbaugh & Drevno, for an atrocious offense all year long. Drevno should be fired asap, and Harbaugh on the hot seat in 2018. Harbaugh needs to go back to hiring an experienced OC that calls the plays himself, rather than he, himself doing it, because quite frankly, he sucks at it.

I’d give him the Michigan State game if he hires the best OC in college football unless he loses to ND, But I don’t think he’s gonna fire drevno. They’ve been everywhere together

I think he may go to the NFL anyway. This was his first bowl game the team looked unprepared (offensive wise). The recruiting isn’t as good (might be because last 2 classes were stacked but I don’t buy it) And there’s a ton of intriguing jobs. Indianapolis (luck) Chicago. And even Detroit :laugh:

I’ve kind of wanted Don Brown as coach though I don’t think he wants to be. Guy is a magician. Even with one of the worst offenses in college football. His defense was like top 3 and if Okorn wasn’t qb for that long probably the best. He has his team ready

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I’d give him the Michigan State game if he hires the best OC in college football unless he loses to ND, But I don’t think he’s gonna fire drevno. They’ve been everywhere together

I think he may go to the NFL anyway. This was his first bowl game the team looked unprepared (offensive wise). The recruiting isn’t as good (might be because last 2 classes were stacked but I don’t buy it) And there’s a ton of intriguing jobs. Indianapolis (luck) Chicago. And even Detroit :laugh:

I’ve kind of wanted Don Brown as coach though I don’t think he wants to be. Guy is a magician. Even with one of the worst offenses in college football. His defense was like top 3 and if Okorn wasn’t qb for that long probably the best. He has his team ready
Brown seemed to be the only coach worth his salary this year, indeed.

That is exactly Harbaugh's problem, and he's too blind to see it. He's loyal to a fault to guys he's been with for forever, and doesn't seem to hold them accountable for anything. We all know the offense has been the problem for the last 2 seasons, Drevno is the OC, so why does he still have a job? It's obvious to everyone but Harbaugh, and he's hurting himself in the process, and oblivious to it.

Reactions: Bruce Joker

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You want Blashill to survive and Doug Houda to be fired?:sarcasm::laugh:

You're technically correct, the best kind of correct!

I've made the Pack/Wings comparison before in terms of longstanding management, aversion to free agency, and emphasis on draft and development from within. It's kind of fitting to see both franchises (potentially) seeing their long tenured GM step down with coaching changes in the same season.

With the Lions and Bears also changing gears, it seems like the only franchise happy right now is the Vikings.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You're technically correct, the best kind of correct!

I've made the Pack/Wings comparison before in terms of longstanding management, aversion to free agency, and emphasis on draft and development from within. It's kind of fitting to see both franchises (potentially) seeing their long tenured GM step down with coaching changes in the same season.

With the Lions and Bears also changing gears, it seems like the only franchise happy right now is the Vikings.

Like I told Frk It on some thread around here.

The Vikings could win the Super Bowl now that the dfence has stepped up even more.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Don Brown's defenses aren't really holding up that great against the big boys and his rivals either.

Lost in the MSU excuse factory was the fact that MSU actually was dominating U of M before the weather got worse, it helped keep them in the game not the other way around.

Ohio State doesn't seem real scared of Brown, PSU wasn't really all that bothered. The guy is a good coordinator, but I don't think U of M winds up 8-5 if he is as good as a lot of their fan-base is saying.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don Brown's defenses aren't really holding up that great against the big boys and his rivals either.

Lost in the MSU excuse factory was the fact that MSU actually was dominating U of M before the weather got worse, it helped keep them in the game not the other way around.

Ohio State doesn't seem real scared of Brown, PSU wasn't really all that bothered. The guy is a good coordinator, but I don't think U of M winds up 8-5 if he is as good as a lot of their fan-base is saying.

If brown wasn’t here they end up with 3 wins maybe 4

The offense is so inept by the time the 4th quarter hits the defense is gassed hard.

Just look at last year, if he gets an offense that isn’t one of the worst in college football he holds teams down. Look at his Boston college years. The guy is a magician.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If brown wasn’t here they end up with 3 wins maybe 4

The offense is so inept by the time the 4th quarter hits the defense is gassed hard.

Just look at last year, if he gets an offense that isn’t one of the worst in college football he holds teams down. Look at his Boston college years. The guy is a magician.

Well close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades. Even looking back to his Boston College days where they pulled off a couple of upsets, but they did also struggle predominately against the elite teams. U of M views themselves as an elite program and wants to beat actual elite programs. I know there are lots of people piling on the offense, but 31 points to tOSU and 42 to Penn State weren't all that great. Again MSU came out of the gates scoring and was actually slowed down by the weather in my opinion.

U of M beat one winning team this year.... Purdue, I mean by all means keep buying in. I don't get, but then again I am probably not supposed to as I don't really want them to be good again so I just don't see what everyone else is seeing. I think Don Brown is a very good D-coordinator, but like a ton of things going on at U of M right now I am not sure he is being viewed without wishful thinking. This group has run out of time for what they are paying, they cannot get drubbed by ND, MSU, PSU and tOSU next year or they will all feel the heat Brown included.

U of M's defense was also gassed against more physical opponents because they bring in comparative talent and size. U of M struggled to make the big timely plays a lot of this year. The big third down conversion or huge three and out right when they need it. They just weren't a very good situational football team which is also surprising given the experience and price tag of their coaches.

But when your marquee win is Purdue well I think it is time somebody pays the piper around there. U of M fans want the OC gone, but I think it is interesting they aren't more outraged with everyone.If they couldn't beat the rest of the schedule for more than 3 or 4 wins than a lot of guys should be in big trouble around there.

That was basically my reaction to FSU targeting MSU guys was honestly a bunch of those guys should have lost their job after last season anyway.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Well close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades. Even looking back to his Boston College days where they pulled off a couple of upsets, but they did also struggle predominately against the elite teams. U of M views themselves as an elite program and wants to beat actual elite programs. I know there are lots of people piling on the offense, but 31 points to tOSU and 42 to Penn State weren't all that great. Again MSU came out of the gates scoring and was actually slowed down by the weather in my opinion.

U of M beat one winning team this year.... Purdue, I mean by all means keep buying in. I don't get, but then again I am probably not supposed to as I don't really want them to be good again so I just don't see what everyone else is seeing. I think Don Brown is a very good D-coordinator, but like a ton of things going on at U of M right now I am not sure he is being viewed without wishful thinking. This group has run out of time for what they are paying, they cannot get drubbed by ND, MSU, PSU and tOSU next year or they will all feel the heat Brown included.

U of M's defense was also gassed against more physical opponents because they bring in comparative talent and size. U of M struggled to make the big timely plays a lot of this year. The big third down conversion or huge three and out right when they need it. They just weren't a very good situational football team which is also surprising given the experience and price tag of their coaches.

But when your marquee win is Purdue well I think it is time somebody pays the piper around there. U of M fans want the OC gone, but I think it is interesting they aren't more outraged with everyone.If they couldn't beat the rest of the schedule for more than 3 or 4 wins than a lot of guys should be in big trouble around there.

That was basically my reaction to FSU targeting MSU guys was honestly a bunch of those guys should have lost their job after last season anyway.

The only time they really had a bad game was against clemson. And at that point you really are just drinking the hateorade if you think that’s on brown. Games like Penn State happen.

I can say the Spartans defense is trash they gave up 48 And scored less against osu. Would I be wrong? Yep.

You seeing Michigan as bad situational defenders is just wrong. Top 15 points allowed and top 10 if you just count p5 teams. 13 in red zone stops (pct) among p5 teams (though that could be wrong it’s hard to find those stats)

I already said I wanted harbaugh gone (honestly everyone but some on the dfence can get fired for all I care) He’s taken them as far as he can go in my opinion. That loss to South Carolina is pretty horrible. Maybe Patterson can carry him or maybe Dylan gets his super gene powers and carries him but I doubt it. He got them to the point where people can actually talk about Michigan and can recruit with the top dogs. They just need to land the next hire.

At this moment though I wouldn’t bet ND to beat Michigan. Nd loses some good players on the oline and the Michigan dline is just going to gain more experience but I haven’t done my yearly research on most other teams outside of the big ten so idk if they are Getting anybody

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Looks like Patricia to the Lions is pretty much a done deal. Glad they were able to lure in their top coaching candidate. Also glad they canned Caldwell.

Still not sure about him. But he was probably my favorite candidate out of all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->