OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2012
I don't get this anti-clutch thing. He's been clutch his entire career basically. Sure, he had a poor ending to this season, but he's been pretty clutch A LOT of times before now.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't get this anti-clutch thing. He's been clutch his entire career basically. Sure, he had a poor ending to this season, but he's been pretty clutch A LOT of times before now.

Maybe not, but he has to start winning some important games. He has something like 4 wins vs. teams with winning records in his career.

While it's not all on him, his receivers drop the ball, his defense doesn't always come up big and the coaching staff has big influence, at the end of the day it's his career that shows those statistics.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

He had quite a few come from behind victories, but once again, look at the reasons why...

Detroit offense does nothing in the first half, thus trails, starts airing it out to play catch up in the 2nd half, and Detroit wins a few games...

Why were they trailing in so many games in the first place? Because Stafford was horrible to start many of those games, once again showing his consistency and accuracy issues.

Then he's had Calvin makes plays that basically no other WR on the planet can regularly make when he's needed those come from behind victories. Look no further than the 2011 Dallas game. How many times have we seen Calvin catch 30+ yard jump balls in double coverage? Normal WRs don't make those plays. Even look at the 2012 game at Carolina, despite the loss in OT, Detroit made a ridiculous comeback with a couple plays led by Calvin. What a comeback by Stafford right? Wrong. That was Shaun Hill that led that comeback once Stafford got injured. Point being that when you're consistently down and on need to air it out and have Calvin Johnson then the whole "come from behind/clutch" premise is flawed.

How many games has Stafford put it all together from finish to end? It's almost always a tale of two halves with him. In the past he'd start games slowly and then finish stronger, but this year was obviously the opposite where he became statistically the worst 4th quarter QB in the NFL.

He **** the bed this year, plain and simple. Basically all he had to do was be a game manager and not turn the ball over in several of these finals games and Detroit is in the playoffs. But he found a way to lose.

As the article stated, it's a QB league. Look at the Colts. With Manning they were a playoff team. Without Manning they pick 1st overall. With Luck they're again a playoff team.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007

My thought is that..... I read Gregg Doyel label Stafford as a bust. The problem, for me as a reader, is that Gregg Doyel miserably failed to convince me of his assertion. Which leads me to believe that Gregg Doyel is a junk sports writer who is looking for page views, not insightful commentary. I'd never even heard of this guy before.

Is Stafford over-rated? Yes, I believe that he is. But a bust? Simply too early for that label, given his age and the coaching staff he has had to play for.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No Jim, this was a failure.

Schwartz is doing his part by playing it off like he expects to be back next year...still putting value into perparing for this Sunday against the Vikings. Bottom line, this team should've won this division and done it comfortably. A coach that has control of the situation doesn't lose 5 of 6 when you have the division in the palm of your hand. It's one thing if they were a team that fought back from adversity...let's say they played without Stafford or Johnson for a stretch and they hung in but fell short.

This team shouldn't have been in this situation...the mistakes were too many to count. This is where the lack of discipline and not having an attention to detail killed this team when all they needed to do was the little things to pull out some of these late season losses.

I would say that is most damning thing

The injuries that Bears/Packers suffered thru this year and effects on both teams should have been a division clincher

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Stafford is terribly inconsistent. His fat ass needs to get in shape. Tons of talent, poor decision maker. Lacks touch, horrible footwork. Constantly gets his WR's and TE's killed. A new HC and OC would do him wonders.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It's not just Stafford's awful on the field performance that bugs me about him...

When Bush wanting to have a players only meeting, Stafford brushed it off and said the team didn't need it.

And now he comes out and says that he has no interest working with a speciality QB coach during the offseason, which many QBs have done.

Everything about him annoys me right now. After I just threw away the season I wouldn't be so quick to shoot down ideas that could improve your game.

He seems content with not winning.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Stafford's number one problem is his throwing motion which leads to a very low release and IMO is a major part of his INT problem. But I don't think you can still correct that this far into his career. He is what he is.

But finding a QB even as good as him is hard enough in the NFL so I think he's more likely to be kind of like Romo in Dallas. Not well-loved but too good to get rid of, so he survives the coaches.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The Lions are just cursed. 0-16, 2-14 seasons were bad enough, but when the 2 other good teams in the division have injured starting QB's, and the team has the division all but handed to them this year, only to be the Lions in the end...

k-bigpic.jpg

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
That's why they are the Lions.

You can demand to fire both Schwartz and Mayhew. But don't act like you have any faith in this franchise to make the right hire.

Some franchises will make occasional mistakes while others will never learn.

With history on my side, I'm content in knowing that the Lions will never learn.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
As disappointed and annoyed as I am with Michigsn football, it's nice to read the following and be excited:

"CB Jabrill Peppers (Paramus, NJ/Catholic): If you have followed us in our efforts of recruiting coverage and evaluation you will certainly know that the one thing we don’t do is overhype prospects. We have always tried to add perspective and balance of the good and bad. With that being said, in the last nine classes we are not quite sure we have seen a skilled athlete on defense like Peppers. He is as naturally gifted and explosive of an athlete as we can recall and he could play five positions. He might be the one player here that just about every other player has noticed."

- ESPN Analyst Tom Luginbill

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I can see the Lions going with someone like Wade Phillips.:(

Lifelong Lions fan here

Josh McDaniels...;)

In all honesty, I'm disliking Stafford's comments regarding seeking off-season help or not getting input on the coaching decision. If he wasn't so highly paid and gave up Staffordceptions perhaps I would reconsider, but I haven't been that impressed with him during the Lions collapse. He's very talented and a gamer, but he would be better if he didn't always force a pass and was in general smarter with the ball.

Come to think of it, maybe the Lions are lacking a leader(s) in the locker room.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Josh McDaniels...;)

In all honesty, I'm disliking Stafford's comments regarding seeking off-season help or not getting input on the coaching decision. If he wasn't so highly paid and gave up Staffordceptions perhaps I would reconsider, but I haven't been that impressed with him during the Lions collapse. He's very talented and a gamer, but he would be better if he didn't always force a pass and was in general smarter with the ball.

Come to think of it, maybe the Lions are lacking a leader(s) in the locker room.

Someone call Danny Cleary or does he have a bat signal type devise?

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Apparently there have been agents of head coaches contacting the Lions to take Schwartz's job already.

It'd be real nice if they got a good coach that I can get behind. I just can't get into the Lions.

*http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/12/detroit_lions_fire_jim_schwart.html

This is why I'm almost glad they collapsed the way that they did.

Division winner or not, they weren't going anywhere this year anyway... not with either the 9ers or Saints on tap, both of which would annihilate this team in a playoff game. And had they made it, even at something laughable like 9-7 or God forbid 8-8, that'd still basically guarantee us at least another year or two of Schwartz, in which no team growth is made whatsoever (they're making the EXACT same mistakes now that they were making four years ago, what makes anyone think that's gonna change if the leadership is the same), discipline would continue to remain an issue, and Stafford would continue to regress.

He had to go. This was all for the best, now just don't screw it up with something arguably worse. I understand the Jim Caldwell interview, Rooney Rule and all, but Tom Cable? smgdh :shakehead

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I had a hearty laugh when Tirico said something along the lines of "Ohhh, looks like he's down, looks like he a case of the cramps"

Ahhhhh, not the cramps

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Appling is clearly gimpy. Yet he keeps trying to beat 5 guys by himself. If Trice were available, Izzo would have subbed him in there and saved Appling from himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad