News Article: Michigan Board OK's new Arena

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9506294/michigan-board-oks-new-red-wings-arena-detroit

"This is part of investing in Detroit's future," Snyder said. "That's the message we need to get across. ... As we stabilize the city government's finances, as we address those issues and improve services, Detroit moves from a place where people might have had a negative impression -- although there are great things already going on -- to being a place that will be recognized across the world as a place of great value and a place to invest."

Looks like the cities bankruptcy has no impact on the arena.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
All I know is that if I was a Detroit resident, I'd be seriously pissed.

Hopefully though, this is a positive sign of things to come.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Excellent news. Last night on my way home from fishing I turned on WDFN. Apparently it's had local far left radio programming from like 8-11 now. Everyone to blame was Snyder, the Bankers (akin to drug dealers according to the host), the white man and Republicans for Detroit's current situation. Can't wait to tune in tonight!

RedWingsNow*

There's a massive shift in tax burden going in Michigan right now.
We don't have enough money for school districts and roads, but we've got money to eliminate the business tax, the personal property tax, and to invest in a scheme that benefits one of the richest families in Michigan....

If Ilitch can't pay for it himself, why is he even in business?

RedWingsNow*

Because the public has funded public pensions and salaries for 30+ years under corrupt agreements?

Because the public promised pensions and salaries for people who did the public's work.

Pensions for cops, firefighters and DPW employees doesn't bother me.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
I've been reading up on this a bit. Isn't the money coming from a downtown development fund, money specifically set aside for this kind of thing?

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
There's a massive shift in tax burden going in Michigan right now.
We don't have enough money for school districts and roads, but we've got money to eliminate the business tax, the personal property tax, and to invest in a scheme that benefits one of the richest families in Michigan....

If Ilitch can't pay for it himself, why is he even in business?

Because we've gotta stimulate business in this state so the tax base can once again afford schools and roads. Michigan roads have always sucked though

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Must be nice to own a sports team and have the government build your workplace and you don't even have to own it. Just run it and profit and then when you're done using it in 30 years, have the government build you another one and have the government pay to demolish the old building. Government welfare at its finest.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
i live in colorado but been drw fan for last 20 years. Maybe I was born yesterday , but how can you stay in city average home price 800$ . Should they build arena somewhere else . DRW has more fans in different states more than anybody else and I think because people just moving out of Detroit aria:help:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
While as a Wings fan/former metro Detroiter, it's cool to see the Wings replace the Joe, however I've been hearing about the rebirth of downtown Detroit since I was a kid 25 years ago, and publicly funded stadiums/arenas only benefit the team owners in the long run.

The new arena will provide short term construction jobs just like CoPa and Ford Field did, but beyond that, doubtful. Concessioners, ushers, ticket agents aren't high wage jobs, and most of the other jobs around the arena complex will probably be retail, which again, not really high wage.

Moatorious

Dec 16, 2008
Wow just saw this news on TSN here in canada. And using some taxpayers dollars? Weird.

If I understand if correctly they're using state tax dollars and not money from Detroit it self.

They're trying to pump an entertainment district in Detroit which includes all of the sports teams in Detroit along with the major venues and restaurants. The idea of consolidating makes things easier and therefore safer for Detroit's police force which is already stretched thin.

RedWingsNow*

If I understand if correctly they're using state tax dollars and not money from Detroit it self.

They're trying to pump an entertainment district in Detroit which includes all of the sports teams in Detroit along with the major venues and restaurants. The idea of consolidating makes things easier and therefore safer for Detroit's police force which is already stretched thin.

You don't understand it.
These are Detroit dollars.

WingsFan2002

Jul 25, 2013
Michigan
You don't understand it.
These are Detroit dollars.
We're talking about downtown businesses' property taxes, which have already been set aside for downtown development. That money will either go towards this or probably nothing. Would it be better to see the money go towards things like: police, fire, schools or hospitals? Sure, but you know that's not how things work especially with someone like "the tough nerd" in charge.

I have been listening to Detroit radio the past few days and everyone (even left wing liberal radio like Jonathan Kinloch on WDFN) is supporting this project. The fact that 50% of the construction jobs will be "union jobs" and go to Detroit residents has won the other side. Government/Corporate welfare at its finest but that's how things go in this country. Sacramento, Glendale, Miami... and the list goes on. Seattle was the only city that said no to public financing for a new arena and look what happened to the Sonics.

RedWingsNow*

We're talking about downtown businesses' property taxes, which have already been set aside for downtown development. That money will either go towards this or probably nothing. Would it be better to see the money go towards things like: police, fire, schools or hospitals? Sure, but you know that's not how things work especially with someone like "the tough nerd" in charge.

I have been listening to Detroit radio the past few days and everyone (even left wing liberal radio like Jonathan Kinloch on WDFN) is supporting this project. The fact that 50% of the construction jobs will be "union jobs" and go to Detroit residents has won the other side. Government/Corporate welfare at its finest but that's how things go in this country. Sacramento, Glendale, Miami... and the list goes on. Seattle was the only city that said no to public financing for a new arena and look what happened to the Sonics.

Detroit and Michigan are building an arena for Ilitch, but owning it so Ilitch won't have to pay taxes. Then they are giving Ilitch the profitable business of managing the arena.

From that money, Ilitch will pay his share of the debt back.

What a sweetheart deal.

It's really disgusting that people support this nonsense while people are losing pensions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad