Micheal Ryder : To sign or not to sign?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
He filled a need for this year, someone who can score that has no contract next year.

For 4-5 million we need a player who pots 20-25 and brings a physical game. I'm ok with what Bourque has brought in playoffs.

Ryder had an opportunity to really be able to cash in... he dried up down the stretch and is invisible right now.... wouldn't sign him for 2 million. That to me is a 3rd liner with offensive upside who is defensively responsible.... this is not Ryder.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
No he's not. Ryder is tanking.

Look at Ryder when he was a point per game player for the Habs (prior to being bumped off of the Pleks line).

He skated hard, he was hitting and playing D and was scoring points.

But, Ryder has an ego. He was ****ed once in Montreal. Now he is ****ed again in Montreal.

His heart is not in it and why should he take abuse from the Sens when he is out of here.

In the playoffs, in a contract year, IMO there's no way a player decides it's a good idea to take it easy, regardless of how he feels about his coach.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
To get a big final contract. If how you say is how he feels then hed keep up the good play and if the Habs offered him a contract he could laugh in MBs face and say no, I don't want to play for you. See ya.

The last few weeks of the season in Montreal will not affect his contract value one dollar.

GM's of other teams are not blind nor are most of them not stupid (well, except for Calgary and Edmonton).

It is painfully obvious to everyone but Therrien that you do not move your top goal scorer off of the top scoring line when they were still hot.

Ryder's future in the NHL after Montreal will be fine. Therrien's future after Montreal in the NHL will be a little rougher. Good thing he has that telegenic face.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I would let him walk. AGally takes that spot next season.

They need more size upfront and more grit in the bottom 6. Not necessarily fighters, but guys who hit and forcheck like monsters.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

They need more size upfront and more grit in the bottom 6. Not necessarily fighters, but guys who hit and forcheck like monsters.

That goal last night makes it almost seem possible for him. Hope he's up for it but I also hope his development isn't stunted by giving him top-line minutes after half of a season.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
That goal last night makes it almost seem possible for him. Hope he's up for it but I also hope his development isn't stunted by giving him top-line minutes after half of a season.

Not top line minutes, 2nd line minutes. Also he deserves some serious PP time, not just when there is 10-15 seconds left at the end......

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Not top line minutes, 2nd line minutes. Also he deserves some serious PP time, not just when there is 10-15 seconds left at the end......

I primarily mean top-6 minutes as compared to the protected minutes he's played this year. I think he's creative enough to play the half-boards, he's a good enough shot to be a threat on either side, I think we'll see him get lots of time there next year. Once he's had practice on the PP, after a full offseason of getting in shape and recovering, I think he'll be an ok option for our top-6 winger.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Zero interest in bringing this guy back.

Yup, last thing we want is to keep a guy with 51 goals the last 128 games. :shakehead

Blindly saying you let a guy that walk and don't even know who you can replace him with is dumb IMHO.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I think that would biting off more than Galchenyuk can chew. If you play him top 6 he faces a lot more tough matchups and hjis defense becomes an issue.

The reason our young players did so well this year is they were not expected to carry the team and their ice time could be cut back if needed.

I'm not suggesting they HAVE to sign Ryder because we don't know what it will cost and what kind of term is required, but to me Ryder either has to be signed or replaced with another top 6 calibre guy or the team will take a step back next year. Ryder leaving leaves pretty big shoes to fill.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No he's not. Ryder is tanking.

Look at Ryder when he was a point per game player for the Habs (prior to being bumped off of the Pleks line).

He skated hard, he was hitting and playing D and was scoring points.

But, Ryder has an ego. He was ****ed once in Montreal. Now he is ****ed again in Montreal.

His heart is not in it and why should he take abuse from the Sens when he is out of here.

How is he tanking, he is playing hurt. It was reported by every media outlet that he has a LBI that would keep him out if this wasn't playoffs...but don't let that stop you from throwing him under the bus. :facepalm:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
That's why we need to wait instead od rushing decisions (aka Desharnais)... you can clearly see how useless this player can be when he's not scoring...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think that would biting off more than Galchenyuk can chew. If you play him top 6 he faces a lot more tough matchups and hjis defense becomes an issue.

The reason our young players did so well this year is they were not expected to carry the team and their ice time could be cut back if needed.

I'm not suggesting they HAVE to sign Ryder because we don't know what it will cost and what kind of term is required, but to me Ryder either has to be signed or replaced with another top 6 calibre guy or the team will take a step back next year. Ryder leaving leaves pretty big shoes to fill.

Like it or not, those shoes likely can't be filled by Clarkson or Clowe. Ryder brings a large amount of offence that will be very tough to compensate for.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
I think they will try to resign him cheap, but just like the last time we let him walk he's going to get a raise somewhere else.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Like it or not, those shoes likely can't be filled by Clarkson or Clowe. Ryder brings a large amount of offence that will be very tough to compensate for.

That's what I'm saying. People are over the moon on size and toughness but if you can't score you don't make the playoffs and have NO CHANCE at a cup.

Unless the price is CONSIDERABLY lower than I expect, I would steer clear of guys like that. Clarkson is a 3rd liner who scores garabage goals in front of the net on the PP, he generates very little offense on his own. Clowe was always slow and he got even slower this year, unless you can get him on a short term deal and slot him on the 3rd line you're taking a huge risk.

If you sign Clarkson at 4-5 years 4.5 mil/year and/or around the same for Clowe those are high risk cap hits. If you can get them at around 3 mil or 1-2 years then fine but the UFA market looks bare and guys like that(Malone Upshall etc) usually end up overpaid on the market.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
That's what I'm saying. People are over the moon on size and toughness but if you can't score you don't make the playoffs and have NO CHANCE at a cup.

Unless the price is CONSIDERABLY lower than I expect, I would steer clear of guys like that. Clarkson is a 3rd liner who scores garabage goals in front of the net on the PP, he generates very little offense on his own. Clowe was always slow and he got even slower this year, unless you can get him on a short term deal and slot him on the 3rd line you're taking a huge risk.

If you sign Clarkson at 4-5 years 4.5 mil/year and/or around the same for Clowe those are high risk cap hits. If you can get them at around 3 mil or 1-2 years then fine but the UFA market looks bare and guys like that(Malone Upshall etc) usually end up overpaid on the market.
Size is not an issue with Ryder. It is his lack of defense and lack of a well-rounded game that makes him expendable. Ryder is not a good option at 5 million or 6 million dollars and he is slowing too.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

You've got it right, it's a shame that not everyone understands. There are a few players that bring a similar offensive punch to Ryder in this year's FA group. Elias, Brunner, ~Iginla, Raymond, Horton.... Not many top-6 guys.

But we have to be careful with Ryder just as we have to be careful with Clowe and Clarkson. His contract could handicap us just as badly or worse than theirs depending on the term.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bottom line is those are goals you have to replace if you let him walk...unless you want to go back to 11-12 and play golf early.

It's the differential between goals scored and goals allowed that really matters. Also, depreciation due to age means that this kind of pace is not something Ryder will maintain well into the future. Perhaps this level of production can be sustained for maybe 2 more years.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Size is not an issue with Ryder. It is his lack of defense and lack of a well-rounded game that makes him expendable. Ryder is not a good option at 5 million or 6 million dollars and he is slowing too.

I'm not suggesting to re-sign him at 5-6 million.

I think if you can get him re-signed for 2 years at 9 mil it's a no brainer. 3 years and 13.5 is about as far as I'd stretch it. The 3rd year is a concern because Gallagher Galchenyuk Tinordi Beaulieu all get new deals in 2015.

Moving out Kaberle gives us some flexibility in 2013. 2014 looks real good with Gionta Markov deals up but Emelin and Diaz will get raises. It's good to have cap space but too much is sometimes a sign that some huge holes could also be there.

Shopping for UFA's is like eating desert, a little is good but too much goes to your gut(cap hits).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad