Player Discussion Micheal Ferland

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
All the lineups prior to the season with him as 1LW were sad to see. Playing a 3rd liner on the top line because grit was obviously not going to go well, like has been obvious for this exact player for 2 straight years.
But lots of people still did it anyway for some reason..
He doesn't suck. He's just not a 1st line player.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
All the lineups prior to the season with him as 1LW were sad to see. Playing a 3rd liner on the top line because grit was obviously not going to go well, like has been obvious for this exact player for 2 straight years.
But lots of people still did it anyway for some reason..
I think he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener (again, my opinion). What he's paid/where he's played in the lineup is another issue.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ferland is a decent bottom-6 guy who keeps getting these stupid opportunities to drag down scoring lines because dinosaur coaches and management are still stuck in the 1980s and remember how Probert played with Yzerman back when they played.

It’ll be fascinating to see how long this experiment lasts. It took Carolina about 50 games to replace him with someone better.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Ferland is a decent bottom-6 guy who keeps getting these stupid opportunities to drag down scoring lines because dinosaur coaches and management are still stuck in the 1980s and remember how Probert played with Yzerman back when they played.

It’ll be fascinating to see how long this experiment lasts. It took Carolina about 50 games to replace him with someone better.

But the team is paying a bottom 6 winger 3.5 million a year for the next four years. The style he plays too, he's already peaked and will decline.

There's just so much cap waste on the bottom six players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ferland is a decent, physical third-fourth line winger who'll score 15-20 goals on a "good' NHL team. On a team like the Canucks, who knows? I know that Carolina didn't make much of an effort to get him under contract at any point last season, and he basically blew hot and cold throughout the year. And there certainly was no rush by anyone in the NHL to sign him on July 1st, and he and agent 'settled' for what appears to be a pretty modest contract from the Canucks. Not sure what this means.

So I was scratching my head when Green announced that he was going to be a first-line winger with Pettersson. Looks like the experiment is over after only two games.

I know I'll get flamed for saying it, but I'd recall Goldy and stick him on the line with Pettersson. He desperately needs more skill on his flanks, and Boeser is still finding his game after missing most of training camp. But don't worry campers, there's no chance it will ever happen.

Reactions: I am toxic

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Ferland is a decent, physical third-fourth line winger who'll score 15-20 goals on a "good' NHL team. On a team like the Canucks, who knows? I know that Carolina didn't make much of an effort to get him under contract at any point last season, and he basically blew hot and cold throughout the year.

Apparently Tulsky tried to retain him but Ferland's ask was unreasonable. Was looking for a massive commitment - IIRC something in the range of $40mil. The talks soured at that point.

Ferland can be a very good winger, we just haven't seen him anywhere near the top of his game yet.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Apparently Tulsky tried to retain him but Ferland's ask was unreasonable. Was looking for a massive commitment - IIRC something in the range of $40mil. The talks soured at that point.

Ferland can be a very good winger, we just haven't seen him anywhere near the top of his game yet.
This is the first time I’ve heard that about Tulsky.

Not saying it isn’t true though as I don’t follow all the various insiders.
Do you have any links to info on that?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
This is the first time I’ve heard that about Tulsky.

Not saying it isn’t true though as I don’t follow all the various insiders.
Do you have any links to info on that?
The rumour I saw stated Ferland's camp was talking to Canes management about an extension, not about Tulsky specifically. Isn't Tulsky involved with player personnel?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Dont expect the top of his game play to be much different than what you see now. Just add an extra hit or penalty, and a garbage goal every few games.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Dont expect the top of his game play to be much different than what you see now. Just add an extra hit or penalty, and a garbage goal every few games.

Ferland on top of his game looks night and day different from what we have seen this far. He can play fast, move the puck into good areas, get to the net and score goals. All while being a physical menace when ever he see's fit.

He's been poor through 2 games. But this is nowhere near the best we will see frommhim this season, assuming he stays relatively healthy. There is a reason so many Carolina and Calgary fans said they would have taken him back at the contract he got. The guy can play.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Ferland on top of his game looks night and day different from what we have seen this far. He can play fast, move the puck into good areas, get to the net and score goals. All while being a physical menace when ever he see's fit.

He's been poor through 2 games. But this is nowhere near the best we will see frommhim this season, assuming he stays relatively healthy. There is a reason so many Carolina and Calgary fans said they would have taken him back at the contract he got. The guy can play.
The opposition is forcing him to carry the puck and checking his good linemates.

If they want to get his game going, they need to put him on a line that isn't expected to score. His game is successful when he's chipping, chasing and hitting. I don't want a player like that on a puck possession top line.

He should be used in the top 6 for spot duty IMO. He's not a top 6 forward on his own.

kallor

May 15, 2015
Robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO. Miller has looked really good with Horvat.

Ferland isn't the issue on the top line although it would of been nice to see him start well.

Petey and Boeser have been out of sync. I would love to see Ferland Horvat Miller play together and inject someone else on the top line.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But the team is paying a bottom 6 winger 3.5 million a year for the next four years. The style he plays too, he's already peaked and will decline.

There's just so much cap waste on the bottom six players.

3.5 isn't really top 6 money anymore though. 181 forwards have at least a 3.5 million dollar cap his this season and 210 have at least a 3 million cap. It's tweener money for what has been a tweener forward the past couple years. Whether it's the right fit for the team and whether he can maintain his level of play given his age and style of play are legitimate question marks, but he isn't overpaid for his recent play

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Now at 26 games without a goal dating back to last season.
You nailed it. As a scorer Ferland basically fell off a cliff last year on a Canes team that's a lot stronger than the Canucks. I'm not getting great vibes about this signing. What were Jimbo and Canucks actually paying for? The guy who lit it up early in the schedule or the guy who's offense basically dried up when the games mattered the most?

Mercifully he's only signed for three years at a respectable cap hit of $3.5m. So if he underachieves it won't be a disastrous blow to the salary cap. But my betting is he lands on their-fourth lines and basically stays there.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The opposition is forcing him to carry the puck and checking his good linemates.

If they want to get his game going, they need to put him on a line that isn't expected to score. His game is successful when he's chipping, chasing and hitting. I don't want a player like that on a puck possession top line.

He should be used in the top 6 for spot duty IMO. He's not a top 6 forward on his own.
Ooh....

Derek Dorsett part deux.

Fyf6Fcg.gif
Fyf6Fcg.gif
Fyf6Fcg.gif
Spicy!!
Fyf6Fcg.gif
Fyf6Fcg.gif
Fyf6Fcg.gif

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Idk why all of you are acting as if Ferland is bringing the line down in the 2 games I've seen boeser looked like the worst player on that line and it's obvious it's cause he just came back from an injury but it's not like he's holding back the line when the other third of the line hasn't been playing well either.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Agreed. Ferland hasn't been the issue, even if he hasn't done much to impress in two games. Pains me that this was going to finally be the year we get to see Boeser have a healthy start out of the gate, and he gets run in ****ing preseason. Who gets run in preseason?? Typical Canucks luck. We brought in guys like Ferland to stop that kind of thing from happening to our top players, and he was out with the flu when it happened, so there you go. Nothing changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad