Michalek - Spezza

ChronicallyInjured

Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Can someone explain to me why Michalek and Spezza are not playing together? They've shown great chemistry in the past.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Spezza - Conacher/Zibanejad/Greening/Neil/Whoever is playing well.

Sure the original idea in the summer was Ryan and Spezza clicking but it didn't work that way. Why not just go back to what we had before?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Michalek has absolutely been killing the Spezza line when he's been on it this year.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, didn't like Michalek with Spezza this year but there is history. I am digging Zibby on Spezza's wing to be honest. If we're moving Zibby to wing, that's a great place to incubate him imo.

ChronicallyInjured

Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Yah I understand that Michalek hasn't been great on the top line but it's not like he's had a crazy long try-out. I love the stache and I think he's the best coach in the game, but this frequent line juggling is frustrating. Give Spezza someone to feed.

Agree with one of the top posts that I like Zibanejad on that top line.

Michalek - Spezza - Zibanejad could be crazy effective.

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
I saw Michalek back on Spezza's wing along with Zib towards the end of the game.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Why are you guys so frustrated with line juggling. It's early in the season and Paulrus is trying to find chemistry.

He has one line with great chemistry and he hasn't broken them up since. Give the rest time to settle. The goal is long term success not small victories.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
mm needs to be a trigger man and with spezza shooting so much he's getting less opportunities.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Spezza's linemates basically need to help establish possession in the offensive zone, get the puck to Spezza, then go to the net. Michalek is much slower than he used to be and is losing a lot of puck battles. He is no longer effective at getting and maintaining possession of the puck, so he's pretty worthless on Spezza's line.

I also like having Zibanejad there, and I think Greening/Condra are good choices for the other wing.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
this idea that they have to play together or are good together is confusing for me. just watch a game. they are terrible together.
i've been waiting a while to see michalek on line 2 or 3. where he belongs. (was good with turris and alfie)

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
they're playing better apart? duh?

I disagree. Michalek and Spezza suit each other well.

Michalek has 10 points so far. 3g 7a

CBJ - Secondary assist, Spezza Primary, Karlsson goal (6 on 5)
DAL - Primary assist, Spezza Secondary, Ryan goal (ES)
CHI - Goal, Ryan lone assist (ES)
CHI - Secondary assist, Spezza Primary, Corvo goal (ES)
ANA - Secondary assist, Phillips Primary, Zibanejad goal (PP)
NJD - Goal, Spezza primary assist, Karlsson secondary (ES)
PHX - Secondary assist, Wiercioch Primary ,Spezza goal (ES)
PHX - Secondary assist, Karlsson Primary ,Spezza goal (PP)
LA - Goal, Corvo Primary assist, Ryan secondary assist (ES)
TOR - Primary assist, Spezza Goal (ES)

So of Milans 10 points, Spezza was involved in 7 of them.
They should not be split up. Just find another winger for the otherside that works.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree. Michalek and Spezza suit each other well.

Michalek has 10 points so far. 3g 7a

CBJ - Secondary assist, Spezza Primary, Karlsson goal
DAL - Primary assist, Spezza Secondary, Ryan goal
CHI - Goal, Ryan lone assist
CHI - Secondary assist, Spezza Primary, Corvo goal
ANA - Secondary assist, Phillips Primary, Zibanejad goal
NJD - Goal, Spezza primary assist, Karlsson secondary
PHX - Secondary assist, Wiercioch Primary ,Spezza goal
PHX - Secondary assist, Karlsson Primary ,Spezza goal
LA - Goal, Corvo Primary assist, Ryan secondary assist
TOR - Primary assist, Spezza Goal

So of Milans 10 points, Spezza was involved in 7 of them.
They should not be split up. Just find another winger for the otherside that works.

A couple points:

1) Only six of those pts are even strength. If we are talking about changing the lines, PP pts aren't relevant
2) Michalek has played the vast majority of his ES toi with Spezza, about 70% of his total ES icetime. Spezza is a high end offensive talent, and the offence often will flow through him regardless of who he is on the ice with so it seems pretty logical that the bulk of his production would include Spezza.

That said, I'd rather see Michalek on Spezza's wing than Neil, so if those are the options its an easy choice.

I guess while the offensive production has been there, the pairing has lacked the "wow" factor, they just haven't seemed to click like they did 2 years ago.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It should count because at the time Milan was on the first PP unit with Spezza.

It looks like they are running with Spezza, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Karlsson as first PP now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It should count because at the time Milan was on the first PP unit with Spezza.

It looks like they are running with Spezza, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Karlsson as first PP now.

My point is they should be considered separately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->