dem

Mar 17, 2002
I wouldnt put too much stock in HF ratings :p

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Michalek, by a big marign...

Hudlers rating is laughable, and has been this way since he was drafted. He was immediately rated an 8 then, despite nearly all teams passing up on him twice...

#37-#93-#27*

Michalek by far.

Hudler rated 8 is extremely optimistic.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm not sure it's such an easy choice. Michalek is more solid defensively, but I think Hudler has more offensive upside. Who would you rather have? Marco Sturm or Pavel Datsyuk?

#37-#93-#27*

AJ1982 said:
I'm not sure it's such an easy choice. Michalek is more solid defensively, but I think Hudler has more offensive upside. Who would you rather have? Marco Sturm or Pavel Datsyuk?
poor man's Marian Gaborik or a poor man's Datsyuk*

Sammy*

AJ1982 said:
No, I think the better question is , "who would you rather have, Michalek or Marty Murray?"

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Sammy said:
No, I think the better question is , "who would you rather have, Michalek or Marty Murray?"

my point is it's not a simple question to answer. Each player has an upside potential that they may or may not reach. Both Michalek and Hudler have aspects that make them appealing and to say one is by far a better prospect than the other is a difficult presumption to support. Unless of course we are simply using the common HF poster method where younger/newer prospects are better.

Sammy*

AJ1982 said:
My point is it's not a simple question to answer. Each player has an upside potential that they may or may not reach. Both Michalek and Hudler have aspects that make them appealing and to say one is by far a better prospect than the other is a difficult presumption to support. Unless of course we are simply using the common HF poster method where younger/newer prospects are better.
If one can make a few assumptions, right now it is not even close who the better prospect is.
These assumptions are as follows:
1) draft position is correrlated (in a very rough & general sense) to liklihood of success'
2)the furthur you go timewise from the draft it becomes somewhat more accurate in predicting ones liklihood of success
3) since both these guys were drafted , neither has done a whole heck of alot to increase or decrease ones expectations of liklihood of success
4) Michaleks draft year was allegedly one of the strongest in recent memory.

All of that coupled with the simple fact that Michalek was drafted #6 overall & Hudler #58 overall makes it a very easy question to answer.
Like people would laugh if you were asking the question as to who is the better prospect, Michalek or Adam Heinrich.

X-SHARKIE

Michalek had 2 goals including a beuty against the AVS in the pre season, and in 1 1/2 regular season games he got a goal, making all of us SHarks fans going, how did this kid only get 8 points last year? he is now 6-2 220 pounds, showing great work ethic, I think he's going to be a heck of a hockey player, 60-70 points is not out of range in his prime. But his lay away from the puck as well nocks him passed Hudler,

I like Hudler, but 30/30 NHL GM's would rather have Michalek IMO.

Michalek#9

Jan 6, 2004
Saskatoon, Canada
Visit site
Detroits been known to have offensive players picked late.. example being Pavel Datsyuk - 6th round 171st overall and Henrik Zetterberg - 7th round 210th overall.. so Hudler could turn out like them. but IMO id rather have Michalek for his all around play.

Sammy*

Michalek#9 said:
Detroits been known to have offensive players picked late.. example being Pavel Datsyuk - 6th round 171st overall and Henrik Zetterberg - 7th round 210th overall.. so Hudler could turn out like them. but IMO id rather have Michalek for his all around play.

Not a doubt, it could happen, but thats like saying Peter Vrana is as good a prospect as Michalek (which of course no one does ) because NJ has drafted guys like Brenden Morrison & Patrick Elias with later picks.
Or for Ottawa ,Kaigordov is as good a prospect as Michalek because they drafted Demitra,Alfreddson,Salo, Rachunek...etc.
Its ridiculous.

#37-#93-#27*

Michalek#9 said:
Those first two came out of nowhere. Everyone knew who Hudler was and yet 30+ players were picked higher.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Using draft position to determine which player you'd take shouldn't be the only factor. It's certainly one you would look at though.

I'd take Michalek. He's 6'2" and 200+ pounds. He's not as skilled as Hudler (compare their Czech Elite League stats), but he's supposed to be better defensively and has size.

#37-#93-#27*

Coffey77 said:
Using draft position to determine which player you'd take shouldn't be the only factor. It's certainly one you would look at though.

I'd take Michalek. He's 6'2" and 200+ pounds. He's not as skilled as Hudler (compare their Czech Elite League stats), but he's supposed to be better defensively and has size.
Skill should not be judged by statistics.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Apples and oranges, but there are simply fever big complete players than extremely talented forwards with size/skating/maturity/whatever deficiencies. Also, there are only so many spots for Hudler type players in NHL teams because they need Michalek types on their wings to complement them, and the competition is fierce. So I wouldn't trade Michalek for Hudler, nor I would I draft him before Michalek, even if Hudler pans out (and that's a big if) I would as a coach propably play him more.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
if hudler cant get his NHL game into focus, and concentrate and stay calm, then Michalek will win this by far. Hudler needs to relax and play smart hockey

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

Let me start by saying that draft positions do not matter at all, Brad Richards was drafted 64th overall in the 98 draft while Manny Malhutra went 7th overall, I think we all know who's the better one.

Like somone said, comparing Hudler to Michalek is like comparing apples to oranges, Hudler is a more talented player who has a better offencive upside, while Michalek is a better all-round player.

If you ask me, I think Michalek is a safer choice, but not necessary the better one, he looks like a Bobbly Holik type of player with better skating and similar type of numbers (50-60 points), while Hudler is a risk, but could turn out the better one if he meets his top potential, if Hudler ever reaches that level, I see him becoming a 70+ point player playing a Larionov type of game, only with more talent and skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->