Prospect Info: Michal Moravcik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
Does he have a chance to beat out others and make the big club out of camp?

Where does he fit in our long list of LD candidates?

Reilly
Ouellet
Mete
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Valiev
Sklenicka

Mete goes to Laval. Alzner, Benn & Schlemko traded/sent down/moved to RD/1 of them as the 7th

Reilly - Petry
Ouellet - Juulsen
Moravcik - Schlemko/Benn

Oh yea, we be losin'

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Where does he fit in our long list of LD candidates?

Reilly
Ouellet
Mete
Alzner
Schlemko
Benn
Valiev
Sklenicka

I see zero competition from that list.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think he has a chance. He may need some time in Laval first. But he was impressive at development camp. I think he has more to offer than Sklenicka. But I'm not basing it on anything other than their performances at development camp. So when the real camp starts, it may be another story.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

unless injuries hit hard I would think he has zero chance of cracking the roster out of camp. Jerabek was better and he couldn't, so unless he plays much better then Jerabek I don't see it happening.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
unless injuries hit hard I would think he has zero chance of cracking the roster out of camp. Jerabek was better and he couldn't, so unless he plays much better then Jerabek I don't see it happening.

Moravcik and Jerabek don't play the same style at all though, I'm inclined to think the former will have a better chance to endear to Julien because he's more focused defensively than offensively, and knows how to cover his zone.

Doesn't mean Jerabek isn't better (I agree with you on this, Jerabek could make some plays, whereas Moravcik will mostly play a very simple game), just the type of player that a coach likes more than another.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Moravcik and Jerabek don't play the same style at all though, I'm inclined to think the former will have a better chance to endear to Julien because he's more focused defensively than offensively, and knows how to cover his zone.

Doesn't mean Jerabek isn't better (I agree with you on this, Jerabek could make some plays, whereas Moravcik will mostly play a very simple game), just the type of player that a coach likes more than another.

We'll see but I doubt he'll be on the NHL roster unless injuries or trades. The Czech league isn't very strong and he still had terrible numbers although Jerabek didn't start putting up good numbers till he was 23 but that season alone in 48 games he put up 7 less points then Moravcik has in his career of 189 games.

They already have too many D even with Weber out but I'd be surprised if he's ahead of Ouellet and if Despres does well he should behind him as well.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We'll see but I doubt he'll be on the NHL roster unless injuries or trades. The Czech league isn't very strong and he still had terrible numbers although Jerabek didn't start putting up good numbers till he was 23 but that season alone in 48 games he put up 7 less points then Moravcik has in his career of 189 games.

They already have too many D even with Weber out but I'd be surprised if he's ahead of Ouellet and if Despres does well he should behind him as well.

MB loves the nickel slots.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

We really have a lot of bodies, no real game-changer either, more like 'MB Specials', throw as many noodles on a wall and hope some sticks there.

But yeah, since it's a 'transition' year, and we're rebuilding (not officially, of course, everybody can see it, but nothing's official :laugh:), at least there will be X-Y-Z players in the lineup.

Still have some hopes for some of them, Moravcik included, perhaps he'll manage to figure NA rinks and the A speed quickly, perhaps even the N speed. Doubtful, but hey... attitude :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We really have a lot of bodies, no real game-changer either, more like 'MB Specials', throw as many noodles on a wall and hope some sticks there.

But yeah, since it's a 'transition' year, and we're rebuilding (not officially, of course, everybody can see it, but nothing's official :laugh:), at least there will be X-Y-Z players in the lineup.

Still have some hopes for some of them, Moravcik included, perhaps he'll manage to figure NA rinks and the A speed quickly, perhaps even the N speed. Doubtful, but hey... attitude :laugh:

I don't have much hope for undrafted FA's, I liked Jerabek a good bit though especially in Laval.

I actually don't think we are rebuilding and I think management is going to try their best to win so guys like Mete/Juulsen who should be in the AHL working on their offensive game I suspect will be in the NHL instead. If that's the case, what I really wonder is when Weber is back and say after he's shaken the rust off and assuming Reilly, Petry, Schlemko, Mete and Juulsen are there and playing well while Alzner sucks again would they have the guts to put him in the press box since he'll be making 6M in salary and owed 11.125M after next season.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He made some people look bad in the first day just because of his size alone lol

Kotkaniemi kept bouncing off of him it was crazy , it made kotkaniemi look a bit weaker than he is lol everyone freaked out

i hope they give him a shot

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The whole defense situation will have to be sorted out cause for now we've got a lot of moving parts and not a lot of locks ( Petry is arguably the only one right now with Weber out) .

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I think we need to talk more about this guy and less about a lot of our other D prospects. The game he played yesterday, where he got out of his shell a bit, is a glimpse of a bright future with the Habs for this guy. He played with Valiev and had to do a lot of work and it paid off, he made solid crisp passes, got physical, was NEVER out of position, and cleaned up a lot of the the mess Valiev created. The way he handled those AHlers with his size and long stick, would make him a valuable asset in the pipeline, he's already and above average player down there. Mark my words, this guy is NHL material.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Vygor

Vygor

Sep 2, 2007
I think we need to talk more about this guy and less about a lot of our other D prospects. The game he played yesterday, where he got out of his shell a bit, is a glimpse of a bright future with the Habs for this guy. He played with Valiev and had to do a lot of work and it paid off, he made solid crisp passes, got physical, was NEVER out of position, and cleaned up a lot of the the mess Valiev created. The way he handled those AHlers with his size and long stick, would make him a valuable asset in the pipeline, he's already and above average player down there. Mark my words, this guy is NHL material.

If not for all the waiver players i would have Moravcik making the team or at least a longer look!

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I haven’t had a chance to see either of the two new Czech d men play yet. What type of player is this guy? Shut down d man? Physical?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I haven’t had a chance to see either of the two new Czech d men play yet. What type of player is this guy? Shut down d man? Physical?

The two Czechs were among my most pleasant surprises in camp. Moravcik is big and stays in position to be efficient. He made a couple surprisingly efficient head man passes as well that showed he is adapting to the system. Instead, Mr. Benn stays in the lineup to slam pucks off the glass.

Sklenicka is a more mobile, heady player but spent more of the game chasing. With the puck, he kept it simple and was accurate with his passes, but also had a bit of instinct for jumping up on offence and anticipating plays. I can see both of them with depth D futures in the NHL.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
He made a couple surprisingly efficient head man passes

That really impressed me. A few times he made nice little soft tap-passes to an open teammate while having a lot of pressure on him. Most young defensman would have got rid of the puck. I look forward for him and Sklenicka to be called up at some point.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
That really impressed me. A few times he made nice little soft tap-passes to an open teammate while having a lot of pressure on him. Most young defensman would have got rid of the puck. I look forward for him and Sklenicka to be called up at some point.
He looked better than a few of the veterans we have. This is a case of the vets have contracts an the team always says you can get a position on the team if you play well but we know this is BS. I would have this guy starting over Benn an Alzner.

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->