Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
dominoes!!

giphy.gif

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs must hold some kind of record for most contracts terminated in the past 3 seasons.
And some say MB knows what he is doing?

I know, I know, but he had a great summer, right? lol

This is what you get, when throw shit at the wall, some sticks, and some doesn't. Great way to run a team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
And some say MB knows what he is doing?

I know, I know, but he had a great summer, right? lol

This is what you get, when throw shit at the wall, some sticks, and some doesn't. Great way to run a team.
Who cares? This is a great thing for us, rather have this happen than wasting a contract spot like we've done for Lefebvre Nevins or Fournier

Last edited by a moderator:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Mostly concerning Laval, although he was on an ELC.

Sklenicka is still under contract and is part of the Top-6 for the Rocket. He's adapting much better than Moravcik did.

Oh no, but he was the taller of the two Czechs. The gigantor factor didn't seem to give him an edge. :sarcasm:

I'm good with this. The player didn't cost anything and they took a chance, which is what you do when you have extra space to add contracts. If he couldn't do well under Bouchard, then this wasn't for him.

Adam, by the way, I had reformatted the avatar pic from the other day. Since the one you're using doesn't fit the permitted avatar space on this site, here it is again with a smaller logo this time, should you wish to replace it (since I notice the word "Laval" and the "R" logo are truncated in the avatar you're currently using):

CZYQiCO.jpg
lqtBWW3.jpg

And for those who wonder what the correlation between those dancers and the Rocket is, it comes from the similarly stylized "R" and similar color (not exact but close enough) from the Rockettes's branding:

rockettes.png

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You must really suck bag to be kicked off of that blueline of castoffs and wankers.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Him and Sklenicka were recommended by Jaroslav Spacek I think. I think he said Moravcik is better but Sklenicka is holding his own in Laval.

They were worth a try. Professional hockey isnt that easy .

Sounds like a Bergevin soundbite :)

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Oh no, but he was the taller of the two Czechs. The gigantor factor didn't seem to give him an edge. :sarcasm:

I'm good with this. The player didn't cost anything and they took a chance, which is what you do when you have extra space to add contracts. If he couldn't do well under Bouchard, then this wasn't for him.

Adam, by the way, I had reformatted the avatar pic from the other day. Since the one you're using doesn't fit the permitted avatar space on this site, here it is again with a smaller logo this time, should you wish to replace it (since I notice the word "Laval" and the "R" logo are truncated in the avatar you're currently using):

CZYQiCO.jpg
lqtBWW3.jpg

And for those who wonder what the correlation between those dancers and the Rocket is, it comes from the similarly stylized "R" and similar color (not exact but close enough) from the Rockettes's branding:

rockettes.png

First, thanks for the avatar! U-da-man!

Second, no serious loss at all. I liked Moravcik, but he did have trouble establishing himself on the Rocket's defensive corps. His buddy, Sklenicka, has done that. And like you say R77, these types of deals are hit and miss and worth doing almost every time. Especially considering Sklenicka is 22 and Moravcik 24. The Habs want to get younger. Much better gambling on these kinds of deals than a Semin or Hemsky.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
First, thanks for the avatar! U-da-man!

Second, no serious loss at all. I liked Moravcik, but he did have trouble establishing himself on the Rocket's defensive corps. His buddy, Sklenicka, has done that. And like you say R77, these types of deals are hit and miss and worth doing almost every time. Especially considering Sklenicka is 22 and Moravcik 24. The Habs want to get younger. Much better gambling on these kinds of deals than a Semin or Hemsky.

You're welcome, good Sir. I like that avatar, lol.

I know we can't only go for these kinds of young players as you need a certain amount of vets to help you win games and provide a sounding board for younger players. But, having too many vets is not good either, as they'll eat into the development aspect. There will be more Sklenicka-types and I imagine with all the draft picks coming in plus those from last year, there will be a slew of young players available as soon as they become eligible to play in the AHL.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A few numbers (by my count) of European free agents signed by NHL teams

2015 - 18 signed, 4 currently in the NHL Donskoï, SJ Gustafson Chi Martinsen Chi Panarin Clb

2016 - 18 signed, 5 currently in the NHL Rittich Cal Radulov Dal Sorenson SJ Zaitsev Tor Kempny Was

2017 - 21 signed, 6 currently in the NHL Kempe Arz Kampf Chi Dadonov Fla Fantenberg LA Simek SJ Hyka Veg

2018 - 42 signed, 13 currently in the NHL Lyubushkin Arz Maenalanen Car Kahun Chi Nichushkin Dal Koskinen Edm Kislevich Fla Kovalchuk LA Yakolev NJ Riikola Pit Radil SJ Suomela SJ Lindholm Tor Ozhiganov Tor

So teams have had some success finding players in Europe, especially the Sharks, Hawks and Leafs. Was interested to see the spike in the number of players signed last summer.

Edit: Thanks to @uncleben and @Tomas Tatahhh 2018 total above should read at least 44 European pros signed as free agents last off season instead of 42.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
A few numbers (by my count) of European free agents signed by NHL teams

2015 - 18 signed, 4 currently in the NHL Donskoï, SJ Gustafson Chi Martinsen Chi Panarin Clb

2016 - 18 signed, 5 currently in the NHL Rittich Cal Radulov Dal Sorenson SJ Zaitsev Tor Kempny Was

2017 - 21 signed, 6 currently in the NHL Kempe Arz Kampf Chi Dadonov Fla Fantenberg LA Simek SJ Hyka Veg

2018 - 42 signed, 13 currently in the NHL Lyubushkin Arz Maenalanen Car Kahun Chi Nichushkin Dal Koskinen Edm Kislevich Fla Kovalchuk LA Yakolev NJ Riikola Pit Radil SJ Suomela SJ Lindholm Tor Ozhiganov Tor

So teams have had some success finding players in Europe, especially the Sharks, Hawks and Leafs. Was interested to see the spike in the number of players signed last summer.
42? Holy shit never would have guessed that.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Surprised me too when I compiled the list last summer. Logically, teams must be scouting those leagues more (i.e 9 Czechs and 8 Fins on the list)
KHL being a less attractive option probably has helped too. Is the ruble still down? Teams are more open to speed and undersized players too I guess. Anything to reduce your cap I guess.

Reactions: Fenris and Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
KHL being a less attractive option probably has helped too. Is the ruble still down? Teams are more open to speed and undersized players too I guess. Anything to reduce your cap I guess.
Good idea, so went back and added the league they were signed from to the list.

Breakdown of the 42 European free agents signed last summer (by league)

Sweden 12
KHL 11
Czech 7
Fin 6
Germ 4
Swiss 2

Of the 13 who are in the NHL, 8 came from the KHL, 3 Fin 1 Swe and 1 Germ.

I am interested to see if there is any trend here but like you mentioned, saves on development costs.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad