Player Discussion Michal Kempny

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
4D, a jack of all trades, master of none type defenseman. Probably a limited ceiling to his hockey IQ, which is why the worst you tend to see from him is being a half second behind, or the occasional bad pass through neutral, but all of his basics are plenty good. Wins board battles, does well in front of the net (mostly), good transition instincts, steps up well in offensive zone (although a quicker release and a little more confidence and he'd already have at least one goal this playoffs).

He's good enough to be an NHL player, certainly, but it's still kind of a coin flip as to whether or not he'd still be one in a few years. If/when his physical gifts fall off I don't think he's a smart enough player to compensate, but he's also not making bonehead plays with regularity either so it's not like he's being entirely supported by physical skill.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Great pickup for nothing. Really good offensive instincts, can't remember a time he jumped up and got burned for it. If he is on D and the puck gets to his stick it is getting out of the zone.

Not physical at all, but in this NHL who the heck cares?

Re-sign is a must, it will be a steal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's been terrific. His mobility was exactly what the doctor ordered for this team and it's no surprise that the Caps started to take off once he and Carlson established a rapport. It seems like he should be contributing more offensively than he is so hopefully that part of his game develops next season. I'd definitely like to see him back.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Looked bad for a few weeks after being acquired, but he looks like a solid 4D now that he's settled in. Playing better than Shattenkirk did and was gotten at about 1/10th the cost, so...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I hope they resign Kempny for most of the reasons posted above. Especially not know if they can resign Carlson.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I can't help but wonder if Chicago wasn't trying to find more Hjalmarssons, and this is one of the results. Whether or not the two compare favorably at this stage I have no idea, but the solid play and that "... who?" factor remind me of him a bit.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He's been terrific. His mobility was exactly what the doctor ordered for this team and it's no surprise that the Caps started to take off once he and Carlson established a rapport. It seems like he should be contributing more offensively than he is so hopefully that part of his game develops next season. I'd definitely like to see him back.

Would you say he’s playing like a good #3 Dman? Or more like a 4/5..

Only got to watch him a couple times, in the last series.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bottom 4 on a good team, could play top line on a bad one.

One of the better bargain d-man acquisitions this franchise has made under Leonsis. Struggling to come up with a better one.

To win in a capped league you need youth and guys outperforming contracts. Those things are why the Caps have advanced this year, more than just about anything else.

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would you say he’s playing like a good #3 Dman? Or more like a 4/5..

Only got to watch him a couple times, in the last series.

What @Eazy for Kuzy said. I think he'd be an amazing 3LD. He's a good 2LD. He's definitely a 4/5 in my book and benefits from playing with John Carlson but those two form a terrific pair. I'd be interested to see if he could carry a pair; for example, if next year he was paired with Madison Bowey could he still drive play at the rate he does?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I like targeting/looting cup grade teams players, all things equal. Or, teams that were very good when the guy was drafted. They learned from the best, and developed in the best systems.

And, those same teams are often capped strapped/retooling and looking for help or picks.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Agree with the consensus. Solid 4/5D. Fits the system, plays smart, moves the puck well, and most importantly he doesn't make glaring errors. Won't blow your mind, but won't lose the game either.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Congrats on the huge round 2 win guys, it was well deserved.

What do you all think of your 2018 acquisition, Michal Kempny? Havent seen him much so looking for honest opinions.

Judging by his play for the Caps this year, would you classify him as a 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D in the NHL? In a vacuum.

Kempny is great. Swap him even up for Schmidt?

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV
If we had Schmidt maybe we'd have no Kempny.

Very likely the case. And Im sure Im not alone in saying that of the two, Id much rather have Schmidt any day of the week.

But otherwise, Id agree with most of the other posts. Kempny is not going to provide a lot of offense, nor be much of a physical presence. But he is a solid, positionally sound, puck moving guy that rarely makes a mistake. Thats about all you can ask for from a bottom end d-man. While I was skeptical of him being paired with Carlson early on, that has turned out to be a terrific pairing. Id love to have him back.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad