Value of: Michael Stone

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Mark Stone’s brother will likely be in play this summer. What teams are looking for a right shot defensive defenseman with a booming shot?

I know RHD are always hot commodities so I could see a taker even though he’s coming off of a blood clot that took him out for several months.

He’ll in the final year of a $3.5M contract and was able to play in 2 full games before the season ended.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Vegas will take him for a 4th/5th if we can make it work cap wise. He can take Engelland's roster spot who should probably retire.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Vegas will take him for a 4th/5th if we can make it work cap wise. He can take Engelland's roster spot who should probably retire.

Can they afford it? They have 73.875m committed to the roster for next season already (10f/6d/1g). The only good news is that Karlsson is the only one who's going to get any money (potentially Subban as the backup). Everyone else can be cheap depth pieces. But even then I pretty sure they have the room to afford a 3.5m hit without sending out salary as well.

Edit, and that's without counting Haula (missed his cap hit down in the IR section). So add another 2.75m to that total (76.625m).

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Can they afford it? They have 73.875m committed to the roster for next season already (10f/6d/1g). The only good news is that Karlsson is the only one who's going to get any money (potentially Subban as the backup). Everyone else can be cheap depth pieces. But even then I pretty sure they have the room to afford a 3.5m hit without sending out salary as well.

I'm assuming Eakin and Miller are definitely gone. Potentially Reaves or Haula as well. I think it would be tight, but they could make it work. I mean they're going to have to find a dman to play with Theo or Schmidt anyways if they use one of the kids to replace Miller.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm assuming Eakin and Miller are definitely gone. Potentially Reaves or Haula as well. I think it would be tight, but they could make it work. I mean they're going to have to find a dman to play with Theo or Schmidt anyways if they use one of the kids to replace Miller.

Why are you guys making Miller available? He seems like he produces well for his production. Tampa is looking for a RD but didn't consider Vegas as a team looking to sell any pieces. What would the cost be?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kris Russell + a mid pick.

I feel Russell is slightly better yet Stone is off the books sooner hence Edmonton adds a pick.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Michael Stone and Calgary’s 1st for Jakob Markstrom. Similar pay (actually cut like 0.367m) but get a goalie who was quite consistent this past season.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Michael Stone and Calgary’s 1st for Jakob Markstrom. Similar pay (actually cut like 0.367m) but get a goalie who was quite consistent this past season.
A late first round pick and no. 5 dman for a solid starting goalie. Tough one..i dont think Vancouver takes that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Didn't he have blood clot issues? He missed a lot of time with it.

I hope he doesn't do what Pascal Dupuis did and try to play through it if he missed that much time from it, maybe retirement or LTIR'd is the smarter option.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Didn't he have blood clot issues? He missed a lot of time with it.

I hope he doesn't do what Pascal Dupuis did and try to play through it if he missed that much time from it, maybe retirement or LTIR'd is the smarter option.
Stone was actually ready to come back for weeks but Rasmus Andersson was playing so well in his place that he wasn't going to be taken out of the line up. At the end, Stone only got in games when the Flames started resting veterans. He actually played a 21 minutes and looked pretty solid. Stone will be good to go.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
A late first round pick and no. 5 dman for a solid starting goalie. Tough one..i dont think Vancouver takes that.
I do, Canucks are still a ways away from competing and lack top end talent for sure. Adding draft capital can help to sustainable quality talent. The flames won the west, so I figure their pick is about 22-24 area? Most people would rank marky worth around high 2nd I’d realistically say.
We take on 3.5m of Stone which needs to be cut from Flames cap so bump the value a few draft slots from a 32-40 overall to 20-24 area. Similar to if a team was trading up

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
his health is a big question mark. Calgary would be good to try and find a spot for him (knowing cap will be an issue)

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
his health is a big question mark. Calgary would be good to try and find a spot for him (knowing cap will be an issue)

There’s likely no top-6 spot for him, even if they deal Brodie which is definitely possible. Valimaki will draw in next year for sure. And then there’s Kylington.

EDIT: Unless you mean a spot on another team. In which case yeah they should - even to do the guy a favour. He’s a decent bottom-pairing guy and shouldn’t be sitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->