Prospect Info: Michael Pezzetta - 160th overall (2016 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Sokolov is the perfect example of a player that arnchir scouts say they ould drft..but if you were in the actul position to do it...and knew all of the facts..you wouldn't hesitate to pick someone else.

He has a disorder....perhaps he oercomes it...good chance he doesn't. He's lazy on and off the ice...he lacks competitiveness..is horrid defensively..little to no competitiveness.and he is F-A-T. His nickname on the Wolves was Deep Fry.

Sudbury had a congregation meet him at the airport when he first came over.and they were all saying to themselves.."What did we get ourselves into"?

No he was not interviewed..becuse he was not invited to the combine.

That's amazing!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'd rather draft a guy with a 1% chance to become a top-6 player than draft a guy that can 100% be signed from the AHL every year.

Wasted pick.
That's 99 wasted picks!...:amazed:

So let's say all these picks are made after the 3rd round.....that's 25yrs of drafting to yield 1 player....not a very good strategy

bottom 6 players are always an integral party of a championship team, it's fact. Rust for Pittsburgh, Draper, Weise, Shaw are all players that come up big in the big games, don't underestimate their value to a team. Think habs are better off with Pezzetta than Sokolov. There's a reason this 30 goal scorer was not drafted!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
This guy reminds of me of Gregoire to be honest. Both project to be bottom sixers and both were high profile players when they were selected out of midget hockey. It took Gregoire a trade for him to start becoming a productive player, let's see if the same thing has to happen to with this guy.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
The other page was deleted.

He has 4 pts in his first 2 games, is it the year when we finally understand why he was even drafted by the Canadiens ?

What's the scouting report about him ?

He needs to be signed before June 1st 2018 or we lose his rights.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I get different reports on him. Some say he's good but nothing special. Others say he's too undisciplined. And others say that if he does get his discipline under control, he can be a very effective player. I haven't watched him at all to form my own opinion on the kid.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I get different reports on him. Some say he's good but nothing special. Others say he's too undisciplined. And others say that if he does get his discipline under control, he can be a very effective player. I haven't watched him at all to form my own opinion on the kid.

I think he was originally drafted too high based on his grit, toughness and willingness to report to Sudbury. And he tried so hard to be a banger and tough guy that he forgot there's a puck on the ice. I think maturity and some discipline-related wake-up calls have started to re-shape his game. Sudbury needs more offence from him.

He has good size and hits heavy and is not a lost cause offensively. But I fail to see how he'll ever be an effective NHLer with such limitations. He has a body like De la Rose, but not quite the smarts nor the (gulp) offence. He's a bit of a Tyler Biggs trying to find his niche. He'll need to grow leaps and bounds offensively to be on the radar.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I think he was originally drafted too high based on his grit, toughness and willingness to report to Sudbury. And he tried so hard to be a banger and tough guy that he forgot there's a puck on the ice. I think maturity and some discipline-related wake-up calls have started to re-shape his game. Sudbury needs more offence from him.

He has good size and hits heavy and is not a lost cause offensively. But I fail to see how he'll ever be an effective NHLer with such limitations. He has a body like De la Rose, but not quite the smarts nor the (gulp) offence. He's a bit of a Tyler Biggs trying to find his niche. He'll need to grow leaps and bounds offensively to be on the radar.

So the chances of him being signed by the Habs are slim ?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
So the chances of him being signed by the Habs are slim ?

My guess is they'll leave it to the very end of the season to make any call, but I think he'll need to put up a significant offensive season to have any shot. They've always liked his intangibles and how they translate to the pro game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I only saw him once or twice last year and he didn't stand out much other then good size/strength, skating and speed if I recall correctly. He seemed to have some hands based off the little I saw, should get to see more of him. As a 6th rounder I don't expect anything, but a good season could get him a contract this summer.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Hope this guy could develop into a big physical bottom 6 players like we miss since forever.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You have me crying atm

Be sure to quote me if he does!

But seriously, that article was a decent read. Pezzetta doesn't hold back in his interviews. I think he has NHL strength so if he can improve his skating and finishing he could be a solid 4th line center, no guarantees but he looks miles better than last season.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Pezzetta's story just shows how hard it is to judge 17 years old players. Some will never learn from their mistakes. This guy looks like he understood what he needed to do to be successful. That being said, he is now 19, so it will all depend on his progression. He was picked at #11 overall in OHL draft by Sudbury in 2014, so it's not like nobody ever saw something in him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Pezzetta's story just shows how hard it is to judge 17 years old players. Some will never learn from their mistakes. This guy looks like he understood what he needed to do to be successful. That being said, he is now 19, so it will all depend on his progression. He was picked at #11 overall in OHL draft by Sudbury in 2014, so it's not like nobody ever saw something in him.

And your post shows how hard it seems to be for some to understand how scoring works in the Junior level. That most likely every 4th year vet from the ones who make it to the NHL to the ones who are even just fillers at the AHL level, will most likely be PPG during their last Junior year.

That being said, everybody wishes that we have a real solid, fast skating, tough and gritty 3rd or 4th liner that would hit and would score from time to time. So if he brings THAT play with him till the NHL...it will be a win. Until then, while it's preferable to see him succeed at the Junior level than not, it means NOTHING as far as if he will be or not a succesful NHL player. As of now, it's great to see him being able to follow Kyrou who has 73 points in 35 games. But it's also an indication as to why he will rack the points as well. Though, he didn't have a Kyrou in Sudbury and was close to PPG, which is probalby what is more impressive. So when things don't go too well, we should learn to not be too hasty....but when things seem to be doing so great, some learn to not bash too soon....'cause it could come back....Did you say the same thing about how people were not counting Matt Bradley as a good prospect, and then he went PPG.....so we never learn from our mistakes until...he wasn't signed? I remember saying at the first dev. camp how Addison looked way more like the 5th rounder and Bradley the 7th.....and yet where are we today?

I caught one 1 game of his this year when he was mostly invisible but I will try to catch some more. Should be great to see him along who we should really target in a trade in Kyrou.

Reactions: Andrei79

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Is there a slim chance he'll end up a usefull bottom 6 forward at the NHL level?

There is always a chance. But it has nothing to do with a 4th year vet racking some points. It has everything to do with his development, his seriousness and competitiveness and how he'll adapt to higher leagues. He has the speed and the grit to move up. But first, we will need to sign him. I was clearly not a fan of that pick....but today, I would sign him. For the different things that he brings and based on how poor our pool is. At worst, he'd help Laval.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I caught one 1 game of his this year when he was mostly invisible but I will try to catch some more. Should be great to see him along who we should really target in a trade in Kyrou.

Kyrou with Pezzetta and Thomas with Bitten. Two Blues prospects I would like to see them target in a trade.

There is always a chance. But it has nothing to do with a 4th year vet racking some points. It has everything to do with his development, his seriousness and competitiveness and how he'll adapt to higher leagues. He has the speed and the grit to move up. But first, we will need to sign him. I was clearly not a fan of that pick....but today, I would sign him. For the different things that he brings and based on how poor our pool is. At worst, he'd help Laval.

Agree with all of this. I think he's earned himself an ELC. He may end up a career AHL'er who can warrant a call up. And I think that would still be a good pick for a 6th rounder, 160th overall.

He does have tools that can help him make it to the NHL, he's got speed, plays with some jam, drives the net, and has a knack for deflecting the puck (something Shaw is good at). But he's not a sure bet.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He's an AHL contract to me. No way would I waste a valuable contract spot on him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
He's an AHL contract to me. No way would I waste a valuable contract spot on him.

The day they don't sign Bradley is the day that it makes you believe that they will be prudent with those contracts...yet....we've wasted so many contracts and still are....maybe I'd make that exception for a guy who plays that style of play. Maybe. I would most definately let the season go and see how he handles himself in the playoffs. And IT HAS to go BEYOND production...something some don't seem to understand.

But yeah, maybe AHL contract would be fine too. NO prob with that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would like to see what kind of playoffs he has. They signed Waked to an NHL contract and he looks terrible in the AHL though not his fault as he should be in the ECHL same for Bourque.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The day they don't sign Bradley is the day that it makes you believe that they will be prudent with those contracts...yet....we've wasted so many contracts and still are....maybe I'd make that exception for a guy who plays that style of play. Maybe. I would most definately let the season go and see how he handles himself in the playoffs. And IT HAS to go BEYOND production...something some don't seem to understand.

But yeah, maybe AHL contract would be fine too. NO prob with that.

Look no further than Antoine Waked. Similar type of player, huge spike in production in his final year. We give him an ELC and he's just a bland bottom line player in the AHL.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Look no further than Antoine Waked. Similar type of player, huge spike in production in his final year. We give him an ELC and he's just a bland bottom line player in the AHL.

Antoine Waked is a response to the Q guys they missed. Just like when they signed the famous Dany Massé in response to the famous Yannick Riendeau Boston had taken before them. For me, Waked was a solid player....like...solidly build, but was nothing special indeed. But we missed Gourde, missed Marchessault, missed a few picks....hey let's sign Waked. Something they don't seem to be obligated to do elsewhere. Reason why they didn't sign Bradley....reall wonder if they not have signed a Q guy if he would have had as many points as Bradley did....So, I would believe Waked is politics.

And now, we are about to miss on Barré-Boulet.....not saying he's the second coming of Marchessault...kid is small like crazy...but his hockey sense is off the charts.

But Waked was not and will never be known for his natural talent. And yes...it's surely what you mean when you talk about Pezzetta...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->