Prospect Info: Michael Pezzetta - 160th overall (2016 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Physicality, combined with good skating ability, is a skill.

Maybe he develops hands as Sudbury becomes a better team and he gets kids to play with.

Same as taking a kid with hands who can't skate in this round.. maybe he learns to skate.

No matter what, the kid you are taking now has deficiencies.

So you consider any player who is big and fast a skilled player?????

The term "skill" is clearly used in reference to puck skills such as puck handling, passing and shooting. Physicality is not so much a skill as it is a choice ftr.....

Do you think Weise is more skilled than Ribeiro......of course not.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I'd rather draft a guy with a 1% chance to become a top-6 player than draft a guy that can 100% be signed from the AHL every year.

Wasted pick.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Lyszczarczyk and Sokolov are both much better prospects.. i dont understand this pick.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The pick I hated the most.

Here's his info from blackbook

Pezzetta, Michael

RC - Sudbury Wolves (OHL) 6'01" 204

HockeyProspect.com Ranking: 106

Pezzetta is a former OHL Draft first round selection from the Mississauga Senators and has spent the past
two seasons with the Sudbury Wolves.
Pezzetta is a physical forward who loves to punish the opposition. Consistently game after game he is
noted for finishing his checks hard all game long. He can play on the edge and sometimes doesn't really
have the mentality to let up when an opponent has turned which results in some pretty questionable hits
from time to time. He is the assistant captain of the Wolves and leads with his physical play and his aggres-
sive nature. He provided a good two-way game working hard on the penalty kill and will block shots. Of-
fensively his numbers do not impress, but he has some offensive ability and has shown a couple flashes of
skill which we saw much more of in his Minor Midget days.
Michael has limited upside, but if he can continue to improve on his skills, he could become a depth player
at the NHL level, getting some action in the bottom six. His skills are very well suited for a checking/two-
way role as he does both very well already. However, he does not possess the skill to project as a top six
forward at the NHL level and thus his stock should drop a little going into the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

Quotable: “Hidden away up in Sudbury but a kid I have some time for. In a draft that
falls off a cliff a bit earlier than other years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pezzetta
get selected. – Mark Edwards

Quotable: “Pezzetta or Givani, who you take?” – NHL Scout (March 2016)

Quotable: “Givani and it’s really close for me.” – Mark Edwards (answering question above)

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
**** this pick.

I can find this guy on free agency, if he pans out, every year.. for league minimum
This is exactly right. What is the point in drafting 4th line energy grinders? You should be drafting pure skill guys, in hopes that some might develop into top 6 players or at the very least top 9. 4th line guys are plugs. They can be filled on any roster for league minimum and years of professional experience.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Sokolov may very well bust. But I feel a lot better at the end of the day when I say "I took a gamble on this guy who had top talent who just didn't make it" then when I say "We picked a fourth line guy and he never played a game for us."

I'd rather strike out every time trying to get a home run.. then flying out every time trying to get a single.

Totally agree the risk is the same why not go for the biggest reward.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pezzetta is my cousin, so I may be a bit biased.

Obviously a 6th round pick being a top player or even NHL regular has low odds, but one thing I can tell you is the kid is a tremendous leader. He was named assistant captain of the Wolves in his rookie OHL year (towards the end).

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Had him as an HM for my top 50 OHL players available.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016_17.html

Still a good pickup late though. Well worth the gamble that he's able to find consistency and confidence in his offensive game (and hopefully Sudbury gets better too).

Thanks Brock! That's a very interesting write up you have on him.

Thanks for sharing it! Great year for your boys in the OHL. I'm glad to see you are still at it!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Lyszczarczyk and Sokolov are both much better prospects.. i dont understand this pick.

Incorrect. He was the best prospect on Sudbury Really nice size/skating combo..quite competitive, decent smarts, skill level is okay.. Will compete for a 4th-line role in time. Ranked him in the fourth, and was a real sleeper for me..I think you'll see his stats improve significantly as Sudbury improves.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He has similar stats to Michael Ferland in his draft year. If he can be that type of player, but at the centre position then it's a good pick. More than likely he's an AHLer though. He's a 6th round pick.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
He has similar stats to Michael Ferland in his draft year. If he can be that type of player, but at the centre position then it's a good pick. More than likely he's an AHLer though. He's a 6th round pick.
But a 6th round pick should be Crosby caliber otherwise it's a bad pick.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Sokolov is the perfect example of a player that arnchir scouts say they ould drft..but if you were in the actul position to do it...and knew all of the facts..you wouldn't hesitate to pick someone else.

He has a disorder....perhaps he oercomes it...good chance he doesn't. He's lazy on and off the ice...he lacks competitiveness..is horrid defensively..little to no competitiveness.and he is F-A-T. His nickname on the Wolves was Deep Fry.

Sudbury had a congregation meet him at the airport when he first came over.and they were all saying to themselves.."What did we get ourselves into"?

No he was not interviewed..becuse he was not invited to the combine.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
But a 6th round pick should be Crosby caliber otherwise it's a bad pick.

No, everybody wants to draft the new Benn or Palat, which is why they want skilled players late. I understand that sentiment.

Both Solokov and Stransky could get drafted next year in the top 4 rounds if they improve their overall games.

A lot of over agers went this year. Way more than usual, which tells you just how poor this draft year really was.

It'll be interesting to see who the busts are in round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->