Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He has a 1 way NHL salary. What team wants to pay that to an AHL player? We would have to trade him for another AHL player with an NHL salary of I think 750k. That or we lend him to another organization. Having said that if Price or Allen get hurt, he's good insurance.

That's fine. Bring in another AHL player on a one-way NHL deal. As long as it's a position that will better serve Laval.

Sign McNiven and give Primeau the starting job and have McNiven as his back up.

When those two were the goalies in Laval together, Laval was winning games and fighting for a playoff spot.

The priority should be Primeau's development.

Demchenko said he is willing to play in the ECHL if it's what it takes.

Sign another ECHL goalie to a AHL/ECHL deal.

NHL
Price
Allen

AHL
Primeau
McNiven

ECHL
Demchenko
One more a la LaCouvee or Marcoux

You can find a goalie out of the Q for this spot, as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's fine. Bring in another AHL player on a one-way NHL deal. As long as it's a position that will better serve Laval.

Sign McNiven and give Primeau the starting job and have McNiven as his back up.

When those two were the goalies in Laval together, Laval was winning games and fighting for a playoff spot.

The priority should be Primeau's development.

Demchenko said he is willing to play in the ECHL if it's what it takes.

Sign another ECHL goalie to a AHL/ECHL deal.

NHL
Price
Allen

AHL
Primeau
McNiven

ECHL
Demchenko
One more a la LaCouvee or Marcoux

You can find a goalie out of the Q for this spot, as well.

The priority should be Primeau's development. But should McNiven be his backup or Lindgren? If Allen or Price or both get injured, who do we want in net in MTL? Isn't it better for Primeau's development if it's Lindgren? Leave Primeau in the A instead of throwing him into the fir, no?

Or does McNiven have NHL potential that we don't want to lose? If so, we could go McNiven-Primeau and just use assets to go out and get a veteran goalie if Allen or Price get injured.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The priority should be Primeau's development. But should McNiven be his backup or Lindgren? If Allen or Price or both get injured, who do we want in net in MTL? Isn't it better for Primeau's development if it's Lindgren? Leave Primeau in the A instead of throwing him into the fir, no?

Or does McNiven have NHL potential that we don't want to lose? If so, we could go McNiven-Primeau and just use assets to go out and get a veteran goalie if Allen or Price get injured.

For me, the boat on Lindgren has sailed. After his first season in the AHL where he was an All-Star, he hasn't done the job in the AHL as starter and hasn't taken the reigns as a back-up despite being given many opportunities.

If they choose to let McNiven walk and choose to hold onto Lindgren, so be it. I won't exactly lose sleep over it. However, I don't think he'll be very welcoming to the idea of being the back-up in Laval, though.

If injuries occur in the NHL, you look at the landscape at that moment. Maybe you look elsewhere for help. Or maybe depending on how things are going at that time, you look inward for the solution, even if Lindgren isn't there anymore.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

If Price and Allen both get injured it would depend on how long and how everyone else is playing. We need to see what Demchenko is, how Primeau looks, etc...

I would rather have McNiven then Lindgren as it takes care of the expansion draft, keeps a young goalie around as Lindgren turns 27 in 3 months and McNiven just turned 23 2 months ago. Now Lindgren is a vet so we would be losing experience and going with a very young group and that's if they can even move him as he has not been very good these past few years at either level.

That said you know what you are getting with him. With McNiven frankly they owe it to him after the way he was treated imo, but we saw in a very small sample size but how good of a job he did in Laval. But this is where our scouts come into play, likely Vincent Riendeau, to say do they think McNiven should be kept or not.

Reactions: Eegs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
One of the things that helped make Laval successful is that there has been continuity from year to year. They bring back some of the same vets and it helps keep things carry over. McNiven is that guy.

If Seattle takes Allen in the Expansion Draft, will Montreal go sign another goalie or trade for one? Or will they bring Primeau up. Either way, for me, whether Primeau is in Laval or in Montreal, McNiven should be back. Because if Primeau is with the Rocket, the tandem of Primeau/McNiven has proven to be a successful one.

If Primeau is in Montreal, I would like it for McNiven to be the starter in Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would assume a Primeau-McNiven duo in Laval next season, just need to find a 3rd goalie for the ECHL. I could see Primeau getting more NHL games but I don't think the plan would be for him to be in the NHL full time.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would assume a Primeau-McNiven duo in Laval next season, just need to find a 3rd goalie for the ECHL. I could see Primeau getting more NHL games but I don't think the plan would be for him to be in the NHL full time.
So you don't think Demchenko will be back?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So you don't think Demchenko will be back?

no clue as he barely played and is a UFA, so who knows if he would want to come back or not. I don't want 3 goalies in Laval though and if we lose Allen which is what I am assuming, I don't think they would trust Demchenko to be Price's backup since we are going to need a really solid backup in case Price is injured as he's clearly getting up there in age and miles on his body with a number of injuries these past few years.

Wow. Great to hear. The guy seems loyal despite the crap he's put up with in his development. It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out better than Primeau.

That would be very surprising to me, Primeau while 2 years younger has been a lot better then McNiven in the AHL over their careers so far. With goalies though it's hard to project.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
no clue as he barely played and is a UFA, so who knows if he would want to come back or not. I don't want 3 goalies in Laval though and if we lose Allen which is what I am assuming, I don't think they would trust Demchenko to be Price's backup since we are going to need a really solid backup in case Price is injured as he's clearly getting up there in age and miles on his body with a number of injuries these past few years.

That would be very surprising to me, Primeau while 2 years younger has been a lot better then McNiven in the AHL over their careers so far. With goalies though it's hard to project.
To be fair, Mcniven has gotten dicked around. This season, Primeau was not impressive. Very weak competition. Outside of the NHL, the Habs don't have a goalie drafted higher than the 5th round. I m worried.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Will Allen be taken? And if so what Allen type goalie will be available on the open market or via trade?

I would think McNiven wants to stay around in part because he sees that he MIGHT have a chance at some NHL time here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be fair, Mcniven has gotten dicked around. This season, Primeau was not impressive. Very weak competition. Outside of the NHL, the Habs don't have a goalie drafted higher than the 5th round. I m worried.

what Hab prospect under MB doesn't get dicked around. Primeau was outstanding in the NCAA, he made the All Rookie team last year. This year only 2 goalies that appeared in more then 10 games had a better gaa then Primeau. His numbers this year are close to his numbers last year.

Will Allen be taken? And if so what Allen type goalie will be available on the open market or via trade?

I would think McNiven wants to stay around in part because he sees that he MIGHT have a chance at some NHL time here.

I think it will be Allen but we'll see what happens after the playoffs.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
what Hab prospect under MB doesn't get dicked around. Primeau was outstanding in the NCAA, he made the All Rookie team last year. This year only 2 goalies that appeared in more then 10 games had a better gaa then Primeau. His numbers this year are close to his numbers last year.

I think it will be Allen but we'll see what happens after the playoffs.
His numbers were close to last year. That's not necessarily a good thing. I watched every Laval game. The team dominated most of the season. It was extremely weak competition. Laval generally outshot the competition, usually by a wide margin. I don't consider this season a good indicator. Let's see how he does next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His numbers were close to last year. That's not necessarily a good thing. I watched every Laval game. The team dominated most of the season. It was extremely weak competition. Laval generally outshot the competition, usually by a wide margin. I don't consider this season a good indicator. Let's see how he does next year.

I don't know if it was extremely weak competition but Laval played the same way the year before, they often outshot teams and by a decent amount but couldn't score. I don't see how being top 3 in gaa is not a good indicator. If the comp was so weak and you suggest that McNiven could be better, then why did Primeau have a 2.1 gaa and McNiven a 2.59?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I don't know if it was extremely weak competition but Laval played the same way the year before, they often outshot teams and by a decent amount but couldn't score. I don't see how being top 3 in gaa is not a good indicator. If the comp was so weak and you suggest that McNiven could be better, then why did Primeau have a 2.1 gaa and McNiven a 2.59?
Primeau played more when the lineup was stronger. Like I said, next season will be a better indicator. Trust me, the competition was bad. Belleville was like night and day compared to last season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Primeau played more when the lineup was stronger. Like I said, next season will be a better indicator. Trust me, the competition was bad. Belleville was like night and day compared to last season.

I know that Belleville was not close to what they were last year, I saw every game last year and this year. At the time Primeau faced Stockton a month into the season, they were fresh off being one of the hottest teams in the AHL and were sitting top 3 in the league. Laval kicked their ass with Primeau letting in 6 goals in the 3 games. They went into a tailspin after that so it could be that they weren't that good but they certainly were playing very well went we went out there to face them.

McNiven let in 18 goals in the final 6 games of the season vs the Sens and Marlies, they were missing the offense but the defense was mostly the same.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I know that Belleville was not close to what they were last year, I saw every game last year and this year. At the time Primeau faced Stockton a month into the season, they were fresh off being one of the hottest teams in the AHL and were sitting top 3 in the league. Laval kicked their ass with Primeau letting in 6 goals in the 3 games. They went into a tailspin after that so it could be that they weren't that good but they certainly were playing very well went we went out there to face them.

McNiven let in 18 goals in the final 6 games of the season vs the Sens and Marlies, they were missing the offense but the defense was mostly the same.

Except Brook was playing forward.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Except Brook was playing forward.

for a few games but they still had Leskinen, Olofsson, Ouellet, Schueneman, Bisson and Fleury for some.

Laval's defense was the strength all season, not just the blueliners as Laval plays well in all 3 zones. It's why the goalies save % aren't so hot as they can go a period with seeing just 1 or 2 shots at times.

Reactions: Schwang and dcyhabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->