ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-7-14_14-55-50.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No McNiven ? Has he officially left?

He is an RFA. He isn't signed for next year. He also hasn't signed anywhere else (like in Europe). So technically, he is still under team control.

I haven't seen when is the deadline to submit qualifying offers to your RFA's. I can see them qualify him in order to hold onto him and secure more goaltending depth. But I can't say it with 100% certainty because the Habs have 5 goalies under contract for next year (Price, Allen, Lindgren, Primeau & Demchenko).

But Demchenko has also said that he is willing to play in the ECHL if that's what it takes to work his way up. So it's possible they keep McNiven to be Primeau's back-up in Laval while Demchenko is in the ECHL. That would leave Lindgren as the odd man out with Price and Allen in Montreal.

Locks

May 28, 2005
I think it was Lebrun who suggested said Habs can resign McNiven and use him as an available goalie for the expansion draft. I figure he is familiar with the rules to say that McNiven would qualify. For that and for his potential I hope they keep him and move Lindgren - one option is to loan Lindgren to another AHL team. The Blues even loaned Binnington at some point so it is a valid option.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it was Lebrun who suggested said Habs can resign McNiven and use him as an available goalie for the expansion draft. I figure he is familiar with the rules to say that McNiven would qualify. For that and for his potential I hope they keep him and move Lindgren - one option is to loan Lindgren to another AHL team. The Blues even loaned Binnington at some point so it is a valid option.

yes that's correct, McNiven if re-signed to a 1 year deal would qualify as you don't have to have a goalie under contract as long as they are an RFA.

I'd rather have McNiven backing up Primeau then Lindgren

Locks

May 28, 2005
yes that's correct, McNiven if re-signed to a 1 year deal would qualify as you don't have to have a goalie under contract as long as they are an RFA.

I'd rather have McNiven backing up Primeau then Lindgren

I just did not know that McNiven will have sufficient pro experience to qualify since he is unlikely to have any NHL games under his belt by the expansion draft.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just did not know that McNiven will have sufficient pro experience to qualify since he is unlikely to have any NHL games under his belt by the expansion draft.

goalies don't have to have NHL games played,

one goaltender from each club has to be made available. They have to be under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. However, clubs choose to make a restricted free agent goalie available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/

Expansion Draft: Full Rules

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I believe because he already has 3 years of pro hockey (and it would be 4 years during the Expansion Draft), he can be exposed.

If I'm not mistaken, any player with two or fewer years of NHL or AHL experience is exempt. So a player doesn't necessarily have to play any NHL games in order to be exposed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I believe because he already has 3 years of pro hockey (and it would be 4 years during the Expansion Draft), he can be exposed.

If I'm not mistaken, any player with two or fewer years of NHL or AHL experience is exempt. So a player doesn't necessarily have to play any NHL games in order to be exposed.

only goalies don't need NHL games played,

They have to expose one defenceman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

They will have to have two forwards available for selection who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Locks

May 28, 2005
only goalies don't need NHL games played,

That surely helps the Habs. They can decide on a back-up goalie for the season after the expansion based on their situation such as Allen's performances and/or Primeau's NHL readiness and not on the expansion draft considerations.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That surely helps the Habs. They can decide on a back-up goalie for the season after the expansion based on their situation such as Allen's performances and/or Primeau's NHL readiness and not on the expansion draft considerations.

for sure as I really like how the goalie situation is playing out, aside from Lindgren if they opt to keep him around over McNiven who i like more. But either way as long as Primeau is the starter, which he was later in the season, as I don't want the 1 game on 1 game off thing again although it depends on how the schedule looks as we didn't have a lot of 3 in 3 days but perhaps we will next season.

But as you say Allen buys Primeau time depending on how both play. I'm a big believer in Primeau so I'm hoping he crushes it next year and then is Price's backup, playing around 25 games and then see who's better after that. Not saying Primeau would or wouldn't be ready to be starter but if Price gets unhappy with things and wants out, after these next 2 years he's only owed 17M over the last 3 years as long as we pay his 6.5M bonus in July.

Reactions: Locks

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Time for everybody to let Lindgren go. Time for us. And time for him to see another organization. Primeau, McNiven, Demchenko and even LaCouvée....we're fine.

Reactions: Archijerej

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Time for everybody to let Lindgren go. Time for us. And time for him to see another organization. Primeau, McNiven, Demchenko and even LaCouvée....we're fine.

He has a 1 way NHL salary. What team wants to pay that to an AHL player? We would have to trade him for another AHL player with an NHL salary of I think 750k. That or we lend him to another organization. Having said that if Price or Allen get hurt, he's good insurance.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He has a 1 way NHL salary. What team wants to pay that to an AHL player? We would have to trade him for another AHL player with an NHL salary of I think 750k. That or we lend him to another organization. Having said that if Price or Allen get hurt, he's good insurance.

We need to give the net to Primeau. Not to Lindgren. They will find a way to accomodate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->