Michael McNiven Assigned to Jacksonville Icemen

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Montreal doesn't have an ECHL affiliate. As a result, they need to loan their ECHL players to different teams. McNiven was assigned to Adirondack at the start of the season. He shared the net with Eamon McAdam, who was signed to an AHL contract by New Jersey/Binghamton.

After New Jersey acquired Louis Domingue from Tampa, they sent Evan Cormier down to the ECHL. Despite posting back-to-back shutouts and being named ECHL's Goaltender of the Week, McNiven was found in a 3-way with McAdam and Cormier. Despite being the better goalie, it was only natural Adirondack would prefer playing the two players under contracts with the Devils over a player from the Habs' organization.

However, as a result, Montreal was able to come to an agreement with Jacksonville to send McNiven there.

These kinds of scenarios would not repeat themselves if Montreal ends up with their own ECHL affiliate. People's eyes are still focused on Trois-Rivières for that.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Despite being the better goalie, it was only natural Adirondack would prefer playing the two players under contracts with the Devils over a player from the Habs' organization.
I suspect that most people within the Adirondack organization would prefer to stick with McNiven if he is playing better, however it is likely their contract with the Devils specifies that Devils prospects get precedence in playing over prospects from other teams, or ECHL contracted players - particularly when it comes to goalies.

Reactions: Tater Tot and 210

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Has a thunder fan it's unfortunate because obviously bingbdid not like evan and the fact that mike basically got shafted. Verbeek has been s joy to watch. Adirondack always finds a way to mess up handshake agreements Laval probably want to send us more decent players if we were if we weren't stupid with McNiven. In this case the better goalie was not the main affiliate though I do like Evan. I do believe Evan Evan in his last couple of games finally found his confidence again in this game.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
Could McNiven become the odd man out in Jacksonville as well? If/when Outhouse goes back to Jacksonville from Manitoba, that would give them 3 goalies, with 2 of them under contract to Manitoba.

*****I just saw that Outhouse and Carlson just swapped places between Manitoba and Jacksonville****

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad