OT: Michael Heisley - deceased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Michael Heisley, the billionaire businessman who bought the Vancouver Grizzlies and moved the NBA team to Memphis, died Saturday. He was 77.

The Grizzlies said Saturday night that a family member confirmed Heisley's death. The Commercial Appeal reported that Heisley died in Illinois of complications from a massive stroke he suffered nearly 15 months ago.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/michae...-grizzlies-dies-at-77-1.1794371#ixzz303nydpDu

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/michael-heisley-billionaire-who-owned-nba-s-grizzlies-dies-at-77-1.1794371

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the headsup.
I have a lot of choice words...
But I will just say my condolences to the family.
It is always tough to lose a love one.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Bizarre... I was watching the Mem/OKC playoff game today and thought to myself "Wonder what Heisley's up to..."

What he did to Vancouver was terrible, but it was a culmination of years of mismanagement. He's not the only one to blame.
Condolences

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
RIP.

I can't image what the reaction would be like to a Clay Bennett obituary on a Seattle based forum.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
who cares what he did to us. I can't stand basketball.. RIP old man

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i guess it says something good if someone can acquire over a billion dollars during their life and the least ethical public action they've taken is 'lied about moving a basketball team'

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
He wasn't that great of a person either. The Grizzlies were more emblematic of his business practices than anything else.

-highly leveraged takeovers
-raiding company reserves to pay back the financiers
-raiding company reserves to pay himself inflated earnings

He's certainly not the worst person in the world, and certainly not the only one who engaged in these shenanigans. Still, his behavior speaks pretty poorly for modern business practices.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
who cares what he did to us. I can't stand basketball.. RIP old man

I hate basketball as much as the next guy, but I don't doubt for a second that there are a lot of fans of the sport all over the country. It sucks that the team is gone.

So no, there isn't really going to be many positive comments directed his way coming out of here.

RIP :dunno:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
He wasn't that great of a person either. The Grizzlies were more emblematic of his business practices than anything else.

-highly leveraged takeovers
-raiding company reserves to pay back the financiers
-raiding company reserves to pay himself inflated earnings

He's certainly not the worst person in the world, and certainly not the only one who engaged in these shenanigans. Still, his behavior speaks pretty poorly for modern business practices.

oh ok. I'm not super familiar with him. oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce