Michael Grabner

CJB

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
Maxim Afinogenov is fast. I remember a Buffalo v Rangers game during early, mid- season where he basically dominated the entire game with speed although for most of his chances he couldn't finish.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Balej's Dance said:
Maybe a Maxim Afinogenov comparison? Speed and scoring are his main strengths. I'd say he presents that pure finesse, playmaking ability to catapult him into the top 20.
Thats a pretty dead on player comparison. Watching Grabner in the 2nd half of the season, was like watching Afinogenov when he shows up with more goal scoring ability though. Whoever gets him will be happy, especially if he keeps on developing like he has.

Last edited:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
Maybe a Maxim Afinogenov comparison? Speed and scoring are his main strengths. I'd say he presents that pure finesse, playmaking ability to catapult him into the top 20.
Afinogenov doesn't strike me as a real natural goal scorer. He is a magician with the puck but doesn't have a scoring touch to match. 22 goals is not bad, but considering his elite skills . . .

I wonder (and I am only guessing) if Grabner is (potentially) a better scorer but not a match for Afinogenov in shiftiness and puck handling (not many are).

Comments?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Do you think Grabner can become a first liner in the future? Who would you compare his game to(I like the comparision of a faster Cheechoo)? How many goals do you think he can put up at the NHL level?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Russian_fanatic said:
Do you think Grabner can become a first liner in the future? Who would you compare his game to(I like the comparision of a faster Cheechoo)? How many goals do you think he can put up at the NHL level?

He doesnt have the shot of Cheechoo but he's a great skater. I compare him to a pooor man Gaborik ( Grabner isnt as fast as Gabby though ).

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
MaDdY said:
He doesnt have the shot of Cheechoo but he's a great skater. I compare him to a pooor man Gaborik ( Grabner isnt as fast as Gabby though ).

You think he has the potential to be a first liner?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Yes!

A pure scorer like him can easily reach the top line, however, i do think he'll need to improve his defensive game. He's not all great defensively, i heard. Defense can be taught though so thats good news, whereas Offense cant really be taught...

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
MaDdY said:
Yes!

A pure scorer like him can easily reach the top line, however, i do think he'll need to improve his defensive game. He's not all great defensively, i heard. Defense can be taught though so thats good news, whereas Offense cant really be taught...

When I've seen him play, he was good defensively. He wont cost you, because IMO he has good hockey instincts.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Grabner is my pick to move up in the draft actually.

I truly believe if Little, Sheppard, and Tlusty are all gone by the time Leafs pick, and they are not able to trade down, they'll go for Grabner, because of our need for scoring wingers.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
monster_bertuzzi said:
He's pretty small at 5'11'' 168 pounds, but he's a pure sniper. I've seen him play live once, his hockey instincts are definitely above average as someone else pointed out.
According to centralscouting.nhl.com he is 6'0 170.

When I watched him back in Austria i was impressed with his grit and defensive game, he looked skilled, but not all that much that I expected him making it big as scorer. But he seems to have developed quite nicely in that area.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Is it just me or does he sound a lot like Vanek did in his draft year? And not just cause he's Austrian.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
insider said:
Is it just me or does he sound a lot like Vanek did in his draft year? And not just cause he's Austrian.
IMO they are not comparable. Grabner is a smoother skater than Vanek is, also quicker, he is gritty and has good defensive abilities. Vanek plays more of some kind of power game, he sees to be able to walk right through people and apparently has yet to show up defensively. I think down the stretch Grabner might rely more on stickhandling and quick skating than Vanek who will use his body more.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
dannoabram said:
apparantly so

Ya that was a pretty damn good call.

PS - Please say "Do you think Pronger and Elias will sign in Vancouver for half a mill and Havlat is traded here for Cloutier :handclap: " IT COULD HAPPEN :D

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
MaDdY said:

I truly believe if Little, Sheppard, and Tlusty are all gone by the time Leafs pick, and they are not able to trade down, they'll go for Grabner, because of our need for scoring wingers.

:) I nailed one too. Han? han??? han?? ;)

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
MaDdY said:

:bow:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'll go with a Satan-type as far as being a streaky goal scorer with sweat hands. I like that he said that he has to work on some things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->