Player Discussion Michael Frolik

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Many people in Calgary have been reaching out asking why Michael Frolik is a healthy scratch. Keeping one of the teams most efficient and versatile forwards in the stands marginalizes and devalues a great team player. Head coach’s attempt to run a good player out of town?

This was just tweeted by Allan Walsh, who I believe is Frolik’s agent, it was also retweeted by Friedman, I wonder if Fro has requested a trade or something

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Many people in Calgary have been reaching out asking why Michael Frolik is a healthy scratch. Keeping one of the teams most efficient and versatile forwards in the stands marginalizes and devalues a great team player. Head coach’s attempt to run a good player out of town?

This was just tweeted by Allan Walsh, who I believe is Frolik’s agent, it was also retweeted by Friedman, I wonder if Fro has requested a trade or something

It would be a shame to see him leave over bad blood, but we need Frolik gone this season anyways to come up with the money necessary to sign both Tkachuk and BSD.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Can’t stand Allan Walsh, I love fro though. I also love Peters even if I don’t understand all his personnel choices

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
When we had no depth he was useful in many aspects except scoring. Now we have depth and youth that are earning some time in the lineup.

I like Fro a lot but would like to keep him for depth. Otherwise meh.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Frolik would get into pretty much every team in the league. I'd sooner try to find a way to LTIR Stone and let Smith walk to make our cap work

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If that is his agent, that’s just an agent doing agent things and what’s best for his client. However if we’re being totally objective, there’s easily an open spot for a winger that can produce 35-40pts. Frolik has not shown he can do that in almost 2 seasons now. He was our fittest player so it’s not as if he’s let himself go, he just needs to play better.

I like Frolik a lot and I really hope he turns it around here. For the better part of 2 seasons, he was one of our best players and I’d hate to see him leave town like that.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think Frolik is being sat because Tre is shopping him. He carries a $4.3 cap hit in 2019-2020 and the Flames will need the room to re-sign players. While Frolik's possession game would be missed, I think Tre might try and sign another bottom six player like, oh I don't know, one of Backlund's best buds? Patrik Berglund? He belongs to no one right now and anytime you can pick up an asset for nothing, why not? Trade Frolik for a pick, free up some cap space for next year, add an asset for nothing, and set the stage for other possible trades to shore up the bottom six or depth.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Let’s help out Chia and get the Oilers a winger.

Frolik + 3rd
For
Spooner + 2nd

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No thanks, not interested in a huge downgrade - even for the potential of a near 1st round pick.
I’m not sure Spooner is a downgrade, at this point. Definitely hasn’t had a good year but he’s 4 years younger and has produced 26 more points, in 12 more games over the last 4 years. He’s also over a million dollars cheaper and if he could rebound, would be far more valuable than Frolik. If a cheap, playmaking centre could spark Neal, it would pay dividends.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think Frolik is being sat because Tre is shopping him. He carries a $4.3 cap hit in 2019-2020 and the Flames will need the room to re-sign players. While Frolik's possession game would be missed, I think Tre might try and sign another bottom six player like, oh I don't know, one of Backlund's best buds? Patrik Berglund? He belongs to no one right now and anytime you can pick up an asset for nothing, why not? Trade Frolik for a pick, free up some cap space for next year, add an asset for nothing, and set the stage for other possible trades to shore up the bottom six or depth.
Couple of things.

You don't shop a player by sitting him.

Berglund is going through some very intense personal stuff; he's not playing in the NHL - at least for this season.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Love him as a player, but his offense has fallen off a cliff. He hasn’t been the same offensively since his injury last season. My personal belief is that the team doesn’t want to move him until the offseason, he’s a guy you want to have in the playoffs. But he’s not happy with his minutes and his agent is just doing his job.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Couple of things.

Berglund is going through some very intense personal stuff; he's not playing in the NHL - at least for this season.
I agree, no Berglund. It’s pretty debatable that he’s even an upgrade on Jankowski and we know he wouldn’t get playing time over Ryan.

People forget that Frolik has a modified NTC. It’s possible he could’ve shot down a trade already and is now paying for it. This whole thing seems fairly out of character, even if it’s coming from the agent. Just seems like one of those stories that has a lot more to it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Usually when agents get involved there is something not right in the relationship between the player and the team. More often than not it is the agent/player that is out of tune with the situation.

Knowing Frolik's work ethic and team first attitude does lend some thought to Walsh's criticism of Peters. 7 goals in 22 games is not horrible numbers as that translates to 25-26 goals in an 82 game season and seldom is Frolik guilty of ignoring the defensive side of the game.

What this has done though is it has pushed Tre into investigate the possibility of moving Frolik for another piece to the Flames puzzle. I would expect Frolik to be played heavily until the trade deadline while Tre finds the right trading partner to get the right return.

I wouldn't expect Tre to keep Frolik around the team past the traded deadline because of the potential harm to team chemistry especially if Walsh continues playing this out in the media.

Kristen Anderson Post Media
  1. Michael Frolik was incredibly professional in his approach to the questions over his agent Alan Walsh's Tweeting last night. Frolik said he was he expecting extra media attention today. Clarified Saturday's scratch was not related to his recovery from a high ankle sprain.
  2. Frolik (very politely) directed media to ask questions to his agent re: Tweets: "I'm sorry but on this (situation) I don't think you are going to get (answers) from me. I want to focus on tonight's game and help the guys and fight for the guys tonight."
  3. "With the ice time I had, I didn't get a flow in the game. Those things happen. But I'm back right now and I just want to battle for the guys and be good with (the second) line and focus on tonight's game."

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I agree, no Berglund. It’s pretty debatable that he’s even an upgrade on Jankowski and we know he wouldn’t get playing time over Ryan.

People forget that Frolik has a modified NTC. It’s possible he could’ve shot down a trade already and is now paying for it. This whole thing seems fairly out of character, even if it’s coming from the agent. Just seems like one of those stories that has a lot more to it.
Didn't really consider that scenario.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Didn't really consider that scenario.
I mean look at yesterday’s deals even, it’s possible a deal just fell through. With the Stone situation, Petrovic would’ve been a near perfect insurance trade. Expiring contract right defenseman. If Stone comes back, flip one of them for a mid round pick at the deadline.

It’s possible the original offers were Spooner + Wideman verses Frolik. Panthers leaned towards Frolik, forcing Chiarelli to drop Spooner and toss in a 3rd.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Couple of things.

Well its a moot point now as the 3M line as been re-united. My earlier comment was sitting a guy should have included the caveat that a trade might be in the works and you sit to avoid injury. Honestly, I don't want to trade Frolik. I was just trying to understand/rationalize why he was being scratched again.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Frolik doesn't deserve to play on the 4th line which is where Peters has slotted him.
He also doesn't deserve to play on the 2nd line.
The 3rd line with some PK and PP time is perfect for him.

Putting that aside I see he's slotted in with Chucky and Backs tonight so I hope he plays well and picks up a point or two. The Flames could use a better Frolik for the 2nd half of the season. JG, Mony, and Lindy can't do it all, all the time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good question but I wonder if the agent also asked Frolik to give the Flames a partial refund. He is not playing up to his contract.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Frolik doesn't deserve to play on the 4th line which is where Peters has slotted him.
He also doesn't deserve to play on the 2nd line.
The 3rd line with some PK and PP time is perfect for him.

Putting that aside I see he's slotted in with Chucky and Backs tonight so I hope he plays well and picks up a point or two. The Flames could use a better Frolik for the 2nd half of the season. JG, Mony, and Lindy can't do it all, all the time.
Personally I'd like to see Backs and Frolik on the third line along with Bennett. Its time to move Lindholm to C, either as 1C or 2C. I know that's crazy talk given how unreal the 1st line has been. But, I think we're stronger by having a centre on the 2nd line that is a bit more offensive/creative. And that isn't Backlund.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/ Neal
Tkachuk/Monahan/Dube
Bennett/Backlund/Frolik
Hathaway/Jankowski/Ryan

I'd love to get Czarnik in there, but he really has done much and I don't want Dube to play on the 4th line.

This first line might not wheel and deal like they have previously, but sometimes they're too fancy for their own good. Gaudreau/Lindholm can shoot but are also play makers.

We wouldn't lose much offence with the second line and the third would be the shutdown trio.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Personally I'd like to see Backs and Frolik on the third line along with Bennett. Its time to move Lindholm to C, either as 1C or 2C. I know that's crazy talk given how unreal the 1st line has been. But, I think we're stronger by having a centre on the 2nd line that is a bit more offensive/creative. And that isn't Backlund.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/ Neal
Tkachuk/Monahan/Dube
Bennett/Backlund/Frolik
Hathaway/Jankowski/Ryan

I'd love to get Czarnik in there, but he really has done much and I don't want Dube to play on the 4th line.

This first line might not wheel and deal like they have previously, but sometimes they're too fancy for their own good. Gaudreau/Lindholm can shoot but are also play makers.

We wouldn't lose much offence with the second line and the third would be the shutdown trio.
Awful lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad